SASS Wire Forum

So, I'm dumb, advantageous, and lucky....

Dorado

Ok, so I got mixed up yesterday and thought that today was a cowboy shoot. I got my Sunday's mixed up. So today I woke up, loaded up my truck and headed out to the range. I knew something was up when I got there and nobody had arrived. Then I remembered third Sunday not second. Man I felt stupid.

So I figured that while I'm out there I might as well practice a bit. Was having a good time until I pulled the trigger on my rifle and only heard a click. I loaded ten, shot six, I should have a live round chambered. So I set my rifle down on the table I was standing behind and walked off to the unloading table to clear my pistols, when suddenly, BANG!!!!!!!!!!!! My rifle went off!!

Scared me half to death. Almost turned my blue jeans brown! I hit the deck and looked around for whoever was shooting at me when I noticed my rifle was now laying on the ground not on the table where I had placed it. Fortunately, I made sure the barrel was pointed down range when I set it on the table.

I guess I had a bad primer that fizzled for a couple of seconds before it finally lit the powder. I've never had that happen before. So I guess out of the few thousand rounds I've loaded only having one bad one isn't that bad, but still, dang glad I pointed it downrange.

So, I suppose the moral of the story is even when you're on your own, range safety should be #1.

Glad that didn't happen during a match.

I've never had a hang fire. I called it a day after that. I unloaded, packed up, and went home. Other than that one though everything else worked beautifully.

Do you reload? If you do. do you size & deprime before you tumble/clean your brass. Could have had a piece of media in the flash hole.

Many, many years ago use to hunt lots of quail, doves & pheasants in Baja Mexico. Could only bring 2 boxes of shells for each gun you had on your permit. We use to take all our reloading stuff down and reload in the evening for the next day. I had a shotgun shell hang fire and found out later that a feather from a quail or dove was in the empty when I loaded it. I used to put my empties in the same pocket in my hunting vest as the bagged birds. I broke down 2 other boxes and found another one with a feather in it one the flash hole. Feather must have started smoldering and finally made the powder go boom.

Who knows................

I had a hang fire once... with an 81mm mortar!!! You want to talk about brown spots!

Yeah, I'd of had a big brown spot and a yellow streak tracing my path to the nearest deep hole in the ground.

Do you reload? If you do. do you size & deprime before you tumble/clean your brass. Could have had a piece of media in the flash hole.

Many, many years ago use to hunt lots of quail, doves & pheasants in Baja Mexico. Could only bring 2 boxes of shells for each gun you had on your permit. We use to take all our reloading stuff down and reload in the evening for the next day. I had a shotgun shell hang fire and found out later that a feather from a quail or dove was in the empty when I loaded it. I used to put my empties in the same pocket in my hunting vest as the bagged birds. I broke down 2 other boxes and found another one with a feather in it one the flash hole. Feather must have started smoldering and finally made the powder go boom.

Who knows................

I do reload. I don't deprime before I tumble. I tumble, deprime and size, then load per usual. That was the way it said to do it in my manual. I'm thinking I should start depriming before tumbling. I do check my primer pockets before I prime the cases. I didn't see anything. But then again I'm using a single stage press. It is possible that something may have fallen into the case between when I primed it and when I added powder.

And this is why we review the basic safety rules, even though we know them by heart, and follow them. Every time.

Thanks for the reinforcement of the basic lesson.

Safety may be boring and get in the way of fun, but what if that bullet had struck someone? We all need a reminder every now and then.

Safety may be boring and get in the way of fun, but what if that bullet had struck someone? We all need a reminder every now and then.

Which is exactly why we follow safety procedures every time. Get in the habit, then when there is a problem, while it might make a change of clothes necessary, it usually won't involve police and paperwork.

The longest 3 minutes in the world is when the charge in a cannon doesn't go off during a reenactment. The most exciting moment is when, at about 2 1/4 minutes, it decides to go BOOM!

Archived