SASS Wire Forum

What Is a Camero?

Subdeacon Joe

Joe!! I don't know what a "Camero" is, but I've owned and raced several CAMAROs and the GM explanation is more often than not, accurate!! :lol::lol:B)

I just wondered if the misspell was intentional!!

KNEW THAT'D GET YA' GOIN'!! :lol::lol:

Be careful what you wish for!! :lol::lol::lol:

Camaro, Mustang, Thunderbird, anything by Carrol Shelby, Corvette, Ford or Chevy pickups...

I got no dog in this fight. I love them all! The Golden Age of American automobiles!

I'm the same way in that I love them all, and would gladly and proudly own a 327 Camaro, a 340 Challenger, you name it. Heck, gimme an AMC AMX, for that matter! I will admit that I have a preference for Mustangs, but I am not really one to hype the Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge sort of arguments. There were simply too many awesome cars from the era.

1962 Studebaker Avanti. A pony car before the pony!!

and way ahead of it's time

Howdy,

Once upon a time I met a fella who had a top flight suspension alignment shop.

He had owned near 100 cars and raced some.

His favorite was the Avanti.

This was around 66 and pony cars didn't quite have that name.

Once the Camaro came along the Z/28 wasn't far behind.

Take one Camaro add all the corvette parts you can and merge chevy engine parts

for the 302 just under the five L limit for transam racing.

Some of these cars were actually economy cars. They had simple little 6 cyl

engines and got nearly 30 mpg but no one hardly cared.

About this time politics started getting into the car business headed by ralphie.....

Best

CR

When I was younger (and more foolish) I got my Camaro up to 125mph. It was still climbing but I chickened out. Oh, I was also watching the gas gauge go down.

I could get from 3-22 mpg with my 69 Camaro with a 355 in it. I averaged about 6...... Not sure how fast it went. It had a 160 speedo in it but much past 120 I was too busy to look. Conversations with the Police started like this: "MR. AURICH! HAVE WE NOT HAD THIS CONVERSATION BEFORE????!!!!!" I proudly hold a Masters degree from the Indiana School of Defensive Driving.

I had a 70 Mustang, 302 Windsor with a mild cam, three angle valve job on the heads and 650 Holley w/ vacuum secondaries. Tall gearing in the rearend, so off the line, not great, but top end was something. Buried the needle on the speedo one night when I was young and extremely stupid, running with a Porsche 911 until he got bored. No idea how fast, just know my tach went up another 1200 rpm or so after burying the needle, and my front end felt very light.

At highway speeds, keeping out of the peddle and the carb, I got right around 25 mpg.

Got it handed to me quite a few times by Mustangs! I was usually good against a big block for the 1st 100 yards, then I was waving most times. Won most of my races by beating the driver, not their car. I was never afraid to step in it and stay there. Now I just think about it and shake. LOL

Never could pass my wife in her Firebird. The mechanic where she worked at the time was smitten with her and all the parts and machine work were free. Not fair at all!

My first Camaro was a '68 plain jane with a 468 cid big block and a complete drag suspension and cage. Seldom drove it on the street 'cause it had 5.14:1 gears and slicks and NO exhaust past the end of the headers.

It would run 5.90 in the 1/8th mile and close to 9.00 in the quarter on the race track.

I've had several others from eight second cars to grocery getters. Some were great, some not so much. Had two Mustangs. One was a '65 notchback with a 289 four barrel three speed car. The other was a '68 convertible with a straight six. My dad bought the '65 and I drove it back and forth to school. It was pretty sporty, but it didn't handle as well as the early Camaros I drove. The '68 convertible was my buddy's car that we shared while we were working for an amusement park and commuting together. It had belonged to his mom and was little more than a glorified Falcon.

J. Mark has a screamer of a '73 fastback. He has built a really nice street pounder if we can figure how to make it hook up!

Having raced all over the country and after sharing the pits with some of the best drag racers in the world, I found out that you can make a small dumpster run if you have a big enough engine and can hook it up!!

THEY'RE ALL GOOD IF YOU KNOW HOW TO MAKE 'EM WORK!!

Having raced all over the country and after haring the pits with some of the best drag racers in the world, I found out that you can make a small dumpster run if you have a big enough engine and can hook it up!!

THEY'RE ALL GOOD IF YOU KNOW HOW TO MAKE 'EM WORK!!

You wanna go how fast? How much money you got?

I was in high school during 66-69. And I was (and still am) a MOPAR man.

Anyhow, my best friends were Ford and Chevy fans and Mondays at school were always interesting because most of our conversations centered around who won, who wrecked, and who did what in our favorite cars.

Needless to say, I was a HUGE Richard Petty fan. Still am.

I've owned both a 318 Cuda and a 318 Duster. I would probably still have them fin they had a 340 or bigger engine.

I now drive a 6 cyl Toyota.

Go figure!

..........Widder

I had a 1961 Ford Skyliner with a 390 CI and 375 HP. Thing was a rocket and could beat Corvettes of the same period in 1/4 mile. Ended up driving in to trash truck which turned in front of me and totaled the car. Then I had a 1963 Ford XLT with a 406 CI and 405 HP and it was not as fast as the 1961 but was able to get 5 mpg! The fastest I have gone in a car is 125 during an SCCA race (1966 Mini Cooper). The fastest mph was in a SuperKart which topped out at 130 mph 2 inches off the ground. Now I Drive a Prius and an F150.

I know, let's stop talking cars and have a spelling contest!

I had a 63 Pontiac Catalina with a 421 3:90 rear gears a 4 speed stick and Positraction that was my daily driver. Did high 11's to low 12's in the 1/4 at 120 to 122 MPH. Biggest thrill was at Union Grove Wisconsin when I hole shot a B gas Ford (he was sleeping at the light) and he blew his engine right next to my door trying to catch me, I sold it when I went into the service to a kid that ran it into a tree at about 90

Ahh, the things we do when we're young and foolish, not to mention immortal.

In H.S. I couldn't afford the toys some of you fellers had. I had a 62 Ford Falcon 4 door with a 3 on the tree. Still got that sucker up to over 100 on a back road in North Jersey. Of course, shortly after that, the car developed a serious case of blow by thus limiting my top speed to 45 if I was going down hill with a tail wind. :lol:

Archived