SASS Wire Forum

Need to get a 73 competition ready- gunsmith recommendations please

Shootin Straight

My dad, Tracker Fred won a new 73 at Winter Range. Now he is ready to get it set up for competition shooting, short stroke etc. I know there are the major cowboy smiths out there, but we are okay with the lesser known smiths as well. Any thoughts, or recommendations would be appreciated.

Shootin Straight and Tracker Fred

Goody he is in WA.

Cowboys & Indians in Santa Ana CA. Jim Bowie former senior Chanmpion and HOF inductee as the eventor of the short stroke.

bobbyb

While Jim Bowie is a heck of a guy, and very good gunsmith, I don't think he invented the short stroke. I believe it was Cody C and Lone Dude, IIRC. But that really is beside the point. He can certainly make a rifle run well.

Cowboys and Indians store is top notch.

A lot of folks like Cody Conager and the way he sets up a rifle.

I also have one by Longhunter.

Don't believe you could go wrong with any of them.

Have 3 rifles done by Cody. He is quick and top notch at what he does. Stands by everything this he does. I can't be more pleased with what he has done for me.

I recently purchased a rifle done by Cody and could not be more pleased!

Just curious, when I see "Cody C" mentioned, are ya'll talking Cody Conager?

I bought my 1873 "Codymatic" from him and while some locals have told me it's not a "short stroke" job, the lever action is very smooth and I'm tickled pink with it since it'll go faster than I can ever make it go.

Slightly tongue-in-cheek... taking it out of the box and out to a match should be all that's necessary to make it "competition-ready." Making it "competitive" is a different animal entirely...

Archived