SASS Wire Forum

16 ga ammo

SouthwestShooter

Giving serious thought to going to a 16 ga 97.

However , having difficulty in finding lower recoil rounds that I can use until I can get enough hulls togeather to start to load my own.

Anyone have any info for a source for such a creature?

Thanks

Raceshots@aol.com

IMHO, the only loads that you'll find for your 16 will be hunting loads. Cabelas has Herters 16 gauge shells that are about the best I've come across. They are about $7.90 per box on a case purchase. The hulls will reload 5 or 6 times. All of the Winchester and Federal loads that I have found are pretty expensive for our game.

Cabela's has them under the herter's label. They are the dove quail loads, # 6 & 8 shot. And Federal makes also.

For my 97/16 and SXS's I load all brass shells for Smokeless & BP.

I usually keep three or four case of factory in my inventory.

As a 16 shooter you soon learn to stock up when you see the product on the shelves.

Fall is the best time to find 16 ga. In the stacks of pallets of 12 ga, at your sporting goods store of choice, there will be a case or two of 16 ga. I generally get Remington 1 oz with 7 1/2 shot. It's more common, runs in my '97, almost all my doubles and my trap gun. I don't shoot much smokeless in cowboy but I've never had an issue with the recoil with that load.

Another option to consider is to buy primed hulls. I get the Cheddite low brass (8 mm) 16 ga hulls from Graff's. They are the only importer, you may find them somewhere else but that place got them from Graff's. Again, fall is the best time. They get one order a year and when they are gone, they are gone. Usually come in around Oct. I buy a case of those. They are usually good for about 3 - 4 reloads if they don't get stepped on. I use them first for BP, then Wonnerful Hubby uses them with smokeless for his 16 ga '97.

One thing you might watch for if you load the Cheddite hulls is low primers. On my last order I had a few that would not fire so I found that the primers on about a third of them were inset to far. I deprimed them and reprimed them and had no further problems.

:ph34r: I couldn't find anything commercially available which was mild enough to be pleasant, so I bought virgin hulls from Precision Reloading and rolled my own. My rebuilt shoulder appreciated that.

I PM'd you the recipe. Not sure what this underline thing is........

Archived