SASS Wire Forum

What Is Your Pet Peeve At A Match?

Bart Solo

Those who drop their FUN. :D

so why are we here........to have FUN!!!!!

Chicken Scratch

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I may add my pet peeve here......

Shooters that leave the posse to get to the next bay and load their guns so they can be first to shoot.

First offense - Talk to their posse Marshal and ask them to talk to the shooter.

Second offense - I am not as nice.

GUILTY AS CHARGED: As I am often a Posse Marshall and spend time as a Timer Operator I will go to the next bay's loading table (if open) when we are on our last shooter and will load so I can shoot first...not for any advantage, but to keep the flow of the posse going and not have a wait time between the reading of the scenario and for the calling of the first shooter.

KK

1. Targets too close so that splashback is felt. This is as the shooter, and as an observer "in the posse".

2. Winchester 1897 Shotguns. Not a big fan of these as they're not really a "Cowboy" gun. Yes, I know they are part of the game due to the "Wild Bunch" movie, but I still don't care for 'em.

3. Too many safety rules being violated: reaching for the revolver prior to movement stopping, breaking the 180, etc. These things need to stop.

4. Gear Snobs who don't care for some of the rigs others wear.

3. Too many safety rules being violated: reaching for the revolver prior to movement stopping , breaking the 180, etc. These things need to stop.

Could you please explain how this is a violation of the rules? :wacko:

Pet peeve?

1) People not knowing the rules! Or at least some of them!

2) Oh, and I think I heard a miss.....Really? What did that sound like?

1. Targets too close so that splashback is felt. This is as the shooter, and as an observer "in the posse".

2. Winchester 1897 Shotguns. Not a big fan of these as they're not really a "Cowboy" gun. Yes, I know they are part of the game due to the "Wild Bunch" movie, but I still don't care for 'em.

3. Too many safety rules being violated: reaching for the revolver prior to movement stopping, breaking the 180, etc. These things need to stop.

Pet peeve:

folks that attempt to disparage by assigning conditions to a given circumstance that do not exist.

I'm okay "Splash" as a pet peeve - no one likes to get hit with lead.

I'm okay with "Targets too close" as a pet peeve - everyone has their preferences about target placement.

...But splash IS NOT a condition of target distance - it is a condition of target condition and hanging practices - Splash and target distance have very little correlation.

Pet peeve:

folks that do not read the rules/ understand the rules and then get upset when they think folks are breaking the rules

Any shooter can reach for the revolver "Before" movement stops - can draw the revolver "Before" movement stops - can aim the revolver "Before" movement stops

We do not have a 180 rule - we have a 170 rule.

Before anyone should state "these things need to stop" - they should understand what the rules are.

Pet peeve:

folks that fail to realize the irony in their statements.

I dont think "This item" is cowboy enough, looks the part or is appropriate to our game.

and then one sentence later...

I don't like it when other folks state that "This item" isn't cowboy enough, doesn't looks the part or isn't appropriate to our game.

Pet peeve:

folks that attempt to disparage by assigning conditions to a given circumstance that do not exist.

I'm okay "Splash" as a pet peeve - no one likes to get hit with lead.

I'm okay with "Targets too close" as a pet peeve - everyone has their preferences about target placement.

...But splash IS NOT a condition of target distance - it is a condition of target condition and hanging practices - Splash and target distance have very little correlation.

Pet peeve:

folks that do not read the rules/ understand the rules and then get upset when they think folks are breaking the rules

Any shooter can reach for the revolver "Before" movement stops - can draw the revolver "Before" movement stops - can aim the revolver "Before" movement stops

We do not have a 180 rule - we have a 170 rule.

Before anyone should state "these things need to stop" - they should understand what the rules are.

Pet peeve:

folks that fail to realize the irony in their statements.

I dont think "This item" is cowboy enough, looks the part or is appropriate to our game.

and then one sentence later...

I don't like it when other folks state that "This item" isn't cowboy enough, doesn't looks the part or isn't appropriate to our game.

+1 What he said!

My biggest pet peeve is someone who tries to get over on the rules. Then it is also the ones that break the rules just because they can.

Those knowing I can barely walk and use my electric scooter to get around and since I can bend or walk I usually man the ult and park my scooter next to it and they put their cart there because I was busy clearing the last shooter and wasn't able to get there first. I use a stool and normally if there is a rack at the lt I'll drop my long guns off before the briefing and heading to the ult.

People who need half the table to load, then layout their revolvers and head back to their cart across the stage to get ammo or drop off something on every stage. Think about everyone else if you need that much room shoot first or last.

Never said it was a violation of the rules. It IS a safety issue though and that's something the rules need to address. Thread title is about Pet Peeves. I tossed some out there.

Hmmm, maybe I misread it....

3.Too many safety rules being violated : reaching for the revolver prior to movement stopping, breaking the 180, etc. These things need to stop.

Nope, read it correctly. BTW the 170 is what we are concerned with also, not the 180, but I'm sure that's what you meant.

WK

Never said it was a violation of the rules. It IS a safety issue though and that's something the rules need to address. Thread title is about Pet Peeves. I tossed some out there.

How is it a safety issue?????

Oy...

Pet Peeve: People that think everything should be done THEIR way...cuz others don't know what the heck they are doing...

Being put on a posse with a shooter that constantly runs the ragged edge of legal versus illegal leaning a bit too far onto the the illegal side. Note, I am not knocking our games best shooters but a very small few that are not there but try to slightly skirt the rules to be there. I can only think of two individuals that fall in this category. I only see them at major matches, state championships or above. I have had the unfortunate experience of being on their posse a few times. When an RO calls them on their actions they try desperately to badger the RO to change their call. I have been the RO for them a couple of times and stood by my calls and have been supported all the way to the match director. Figure, if they are mad enough at me they would avoid being on my posse if at all possible. Example, shooter clearly broke the 170 but badgered the spotters into changing their call to no call. As the RO I also saw the infraction and would not change my call so shooter was appropriately penalized. Another example, a shooter was not happy his RO did not have an absolute consistent time between shooter saying he was ready and the beep. Shooter came to the line with same RO so he picked up his guns and went to the loading table, passing up the unloading table along the way. RO penalized him for his actions, shooter got really upset and challenged the call. In this case shooter badgered the match director to eliminate his penalties on the stage.

Being put on a posse with a shooter that constantly runs the ragged edge of legal versus illegal leaning a bit too far onto the the illegal side. Note, I am not knocking our games best shooters but a very small few that are not there but try to slightly skirt the rules to be there. I can only think of two individuals that fall in this category. I only see them at major matches, state championships or above. I have had the unfortunate experience of being on their posse a few times. When an RO calls them on their actions they try desperately to badger the RO to change their call. I have been the RO for them a couple of times and stood by my calls and have been supported all the way to the match director. Figure, if they are mad enough at me they would avoid being on my posse if at all possible. Example, shooter clearly broke the 170 but badgered the spotters into changing their call to no call. As the RO I also saw the infraction and would not change my call so shooter was appropriately penalized. Another example, a shooter was not happy his RO did not have an absolute consistent time between shooter saying he was ready and the beep. Shooter came to the line with same RO so he picked up his guns and went to the loading table, passing up the unloading table along the way. RO penalized him for his actions, shooter got really upset and challenged the call. In this case shooter badgered the match director to eliminate his penalties on the stage.

Those are cheaters.

Another of my pet peeves is requesting to posse with someone but the person assigning the posse forgets and puts you on another posse with people you rather not shoot with and then refuse to move you to another posse.

We have a photographer that always switches out the lens to one of those circus mirror ones that make me look like a gray haired old fat man. I hate that.

But you are gray haired, and you dress funny. No one would believe you only weigh 175. :D

Shooters with too many pet peeves! I agree with a lot of the posts, but friendly suggestions, setting good examples, not being cliquey, being fair and forthright go a long way. Ps. We have a great sport. Take safety very very seriously and with all else, have fun!

+1 M.M.

I really do not like it when I screw something up. Like leaving shotgun targets up or getting in someones way while picking brass. Saying something wrong or hearing something wrong or doing something wrong. I'm lucky folks put up with me on my good days.

GUILTY AS CHARGED: As I am often a Posse Marshall and spend time as a Timer Operator I will go to the next bay's loading table (if open) when we are on our last shooter and will load so I can shoot first...not for any advantage, but to keep the flow of the posse going and not have a wait time between the reading of the scenario and for the calling of the first shooter.

KK

I shoot with Ace of Hearts a lot and know exactly what he's talking about. You are NOT guilty. The "if open" is the important part. We have far too many shooters and entire posses that will finish a stage and then move to the next bay before the existing posse is done shooting in that bay. Horribly inconsiderate and twists my knickers to no end. Our bays have nice covered areas to protect us from the Nevada sun. They leave their bay's shade and come to our bay and all try to crowd into the shade where we're trying to conduct the business of finishing the stage. Makes no sense. They're actually slowing things down by getting in the way. You're also NOT guilty because you're not doing it to skip out of performing posse duties. You're actually doing it to HELP perform posse duties. Good on you.

I shoot with Ace of Hearts a lot and know exactly what he's talking about. You are NOT guilty. The "if open" is the important part. We have far too many shooters and entire posses that will finish a stage and then move to the next bay before the existing posse is done shooting in that bay. Horribly inconsiderate and twists my knickers to no end. Our bays have nice covered areas to protect us from the Nevada sun. They leave their bay's shade and come to our bay and all try to crowd into the shade where we're trying to conduct the business of finishing the stage. Makes no sense. They're actually slowing things down by getting in the way.

+1

Wow, as many things as seem to tick some folks off I think if I shot where they do I'd just stay home.

Some valid things have been addressed, and some that might fall into my definition of 'pet peeve' which is something that might bother me, but others might not give a second thought to.

When it comes right down to it, I go to a match to have fun. The more time I spend nitpicking or thinking about this or that thing that annoys me, the less fun I have. If I have a problem with something that is going on, I try to address it right away if possible, file it away for future action if need be, or just blow it off. It's my problem I deal with it. Just because I have a problem I don't expect everyone else to deal with it. And don't expect me to stand around and listen to you talk about your problems all day long. I have better things to do.

A pet peeve of mine is when my friends take all the fun out by not riding my ass all day long.

Wow DDD, I never knew! Next time you shoot please make sure we are on the same posse and I'll make sure to address this pet peeve of yorn :D:D

Kajun

Hi Folks,

Allie's Peeves are as follow:

1. When the "interesting stuff" comes up while I'm away at a match. :blink:
  2. Crowding the loading table.
  3. Shooters who do not have brass picking equipment and don't pick. Those that don't have bp equipment and will use other's equipment have my respect. As do those who run the timer a lot.
  4. GFs who pull both triggers at the same time.
  5. PMs who don't read "what is the call" threads (or is that rulings that are not in the books ;) ), make a bad call, and won't listen to me. Recent case in point. One SG target was down on a 4+ stage. Shooter missed one and fired 4. TO/PM made him reengage where the down target was. I, a counter, said he should get a reshoot. TO told me no, he didn't engage it. I know I'm right because another counter and I made that bad call once, it came up here and PW told us what was correct.

Although I read "what is the call" threads and am aware of PWB's site where they are written, not all TG, TOs, MDs, and PMs are aware. Some even state, like it is a "badge of honor," that they never read the Wire.

About the shooters who don't help, I must confess that I have been one twice that I recall.

1. Last Friday, I barely made it through the day. After the fact, I think I had food poisoning. I sure had some of the symptoms... Anyway, my posse was very understanding and I tried to make up for it the next day when I felt better.
  2. Another time, I had only shot three times that year due to physical issues. At my first match back after a long lapse, I tired out the second day and sat down for a few minutes only to have someone tell me, "you could at least pick brass." So, I did. :(
  3. So, before you criticize the non-helpers, make sure it is not due to a physical issue.

This is a Wire Peeve. People who ridicule others. I see some of it on this thread. Seriously, I think there are lessons to be learned from complaints as from suggested solutions. Ever heard of Brainstorming? We did it at work. No one was ridiculed. Some ideas may not have been adopted; but a series of ideas can feed off each other to develop a solution to a real problem. Or, they could expose a problem.

That's all for now.

Allie

How is moving with a revolver out of a holster not breaking the 170 any different than moving with your loaded rifle from staged position to shooting position? Would you outlaw that also. If so, then we would need to only shoot from the loading table.

I'm with GCK on that, there ARE rules against moving with a cocked revolver, none for moving with one that isn't cocked.

I don't see a safety issue unless that revolver breaks the 170 or is cocked before the shooter stops.

What an interesting read. I'm not going to say anything negative, as most of the people on the wire are good folks I haven't met, and hope I to shoot with one day all I will say is my attitude towards any match I go to.

1- beats work that day

2- I came to shoot, not rewrite the match

3- at 41 years old, it's my turn to bust my butt and give some of you SEASONED shooters a break helping where I'm needed during a match

4-if it's something I haven't done or seen before, GREAT

5-BE SAFE, HAVE FUN, TRY TO WIN in that order

3- at 41 years old, it's my turn to bust my butt and give some of you SEASONED shooters a break helping where I'm needed during a match

Hey Hoss Shoer!

Thank you from one of the "old broads" (Silver Senior, married long enough and old enough to be your mother :blush: ), who appreciate a break now and then. :D

When I feel good I will "beg for employment" on the line.

Regards,

Allie Mo

What an interesting read. I'm not going to say anything negative, as most of the people on the wire are good folks I haven't met, and hope I to shoot with one day all I will say is my attitude towards any match I go to.

1- beats work that day

2- I came to shoot, not rewrite the match

4-if it's something I haven't done or seen before, GREAT

5-BE SAFE, HAVE FUN, TRY TO WIN in that order

+1

Archived