SASS Wire Forum

What Is Your Pet Peeve At A Match?

Bart Solo

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Healthy, capable shooters who don't think they need to help with posse duties.

Yep, that's a really big and probably the only one with me. Have a few of those, healthy as can be, and ALWAYS just sit back and chat with the other slackers. Even have an elderly LADY who does 2 or even 3 jobs at a stage while they just keep on a slacken. Enough said :angry:

Noz, not really a slam against Old Farts but rather a matter of fact. I see and shoot with several people that qualify for the bionic man/women category. Some are waiting for knee/hip/shoulder joint replacements because the originals are worn out and hurt. Have been hurting for years. Or they are in rehab after their surgery and do not have full function of their limbs. Various degrees of being overweight and can not, will not bend over to brass, let along reset targets. NO, those will not even use the gripper tools to brass either. Feet hurt, thus, they sit and stay inmoble till it is t.

eir turn. Takes four to score? Claim they can not see or hear well enough to spot, but unable to do other chores? Some have heat stroke problems, thus, can not do anything in the hot sun. Diebetic issues, which is common. Just saying, I believe them, they have medical issues that severely limit their partisipation. But golly, you can only carry so many before the mules legs buckle.

Reread your rant Noz,,, it takes more that the shooters $xx match fees to keep the game going. This is (IMHO) not a circus event where the customer purchases a ride ticket and does nothing else. If that would be the case, then the match directors would/should have to hire professional stage people to time/score/pick-brass/reset and then, the shooter could then park it till it is their turn. Gurantee the entry fees would be higher that whatever you are accustom to now.

Ever increasing evidence is seeing electric scooter gun carts, verrrry relaxed foot wear, very short movement inn stages, more stand and deliver stages. Lunch breaks between a 5/6 stage monthly shoot. This is needed

The age doesn't offend me and not all Old Farts fall into what I just pointed out either. Everything just mentioned are reasons/observations/theories of why the majority of the Pet Peeves on this thread (not enough workers) is age related.

Not an age based slam? Sure feels like it.

One of the moderators does not like my posts so I'll quit now. I really need to take a nap.

Permanent facades that limit movement and imagination of stage writers.

Stand and deliver stages.

Sorry, one step to your right or left to a window or door is basically stand and deliver.

Vertical racks that are typically sight breakers and potential for a trainwreck.

Sweeps that are confusing.

Lousy spotters that are not as focused as the shooter.

Those brass picker things that slow down the whole match, bending over and using the thing on the end of ones arm is the best brass picker. And, its good exercise.

Same people working while others do little to nothing

One reason I'm no longer a TG. Excuses being made if something is said they may not come back, or its always been that way, or last stage everyone leaves after they shoot that there's no one left to spot for those that haven't shot. Me and BlueJeans voiced our opinion. Me, maybe to much. MT

Sorry, one step to your right or left to a window or door is basically stand and deliver.

Vertical racks that are typically sight breakers and potential for a trainwreck.

Those brass picker things that slow down the whole match, bending over and using the thing on the end of ones arm is the best brass picker. And, its good exercise.

I LOVE permanent facades if designed with lot of window and doors. They may challenge a stage writer, but with creativity and imagination I don't think they limit them.

I don't mind a stand and deliver stage now and then, what I don't like is monotony.

And if'n anyone is waiting for me to bend over and pick brass with my hands, well, lets just say yer gonna be waiting a real long time. :D

what Mudflat said - if you show up, just have a good time. If you don't like it - go somewhere else, or show up and help set up the match. We are all here to have fun. Of course if you see something that may have been missed, and is a safety or competitive advantage issue, or just plain doesn't make sense - then please say something.

People who think there thoughts are better than the SASS rules (Well you don't have to but you should do it this way )also always same people saying watch your draw your close to braking the 170 If im not braking why keep telling me????

I don't like "buy a miss" or "buy a procedural" fundraisers at annual matches.

Ta Daaa!! :wacko: Just because the same four or five shooters pitch right in to get the chores done don't mean they planned to do it all day. When you ain't shooting go to the line and give these folks a break, they are usually the same ones that set out all that steel yesterday ;)

Yep, position yerself to see all of the targets, even if you have to move out of the shade ever now and again. :blink:

#3 It does not take five people at ULT to remove a squib or clear a jamb. :o Unless the shooter asks you we can use you on the line :huh:

D. Start on the left, start on the left........... :wacko:

#5 Having to show my guns clear at the loading table.....it's the Loading Table

:P

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

The rules call for an SDQ for arriving at a loading table with spent brass or ammo in a gun! I WILL ask to see and WILL award the penalty if found!

1) Permanent facades DO NOT preclude good stage writing!! Lack of imagination DOES!!

2) A "stand and deliver" stage now and then makes it much more fair to those with limited mobility! Not everyone is fleet of foot or extremely agile. Not everyone who is fleet of foot or extremely agile is extremely fast with transitions and manipulating the hardware. What is wrong with evening it up?? It's a shooting match!! It is NOT a track meet!!! There ought to be one or two in every big match!!

3) Properly constructed vertical racks are great for both variety and ease of access Even if they interrupt your visual train of thought they are NOT a detraction to the game. It is action shooting. I can step around it. You may love to just run and gun, (and I sincerely wish all of us were able) but some of us can solve simple problems too!!

4) What is wrong with having to maybe think a little and not just try to outrun the rest?? Sometimes it's fun to challenge the mind as well as the body!!

5) On this we totally agree!!

6) Some of us, like me, have hundreds of thousands of dollars and much pain and recovery time invested in the hardware that keeps us erect and participating in this game. I don't shag brass often because of it! BUT I DO SHAG BRASS SOME!! Many times, the ones able to use the brass picker you recommend are NOT available and some of us inferior folks have to take up the slack!! We're smart enough to use a tool to overcome our shortcomings. If you can't wait for us to get the job done, YOU'RE IN TOO BIG OF A RUSH!! Slow down and live a little!! You got somewheres else you gotta' be??

edit: My pet peeve is not getting to shoot all of the matches I WANT to!!

Rocky surfaces that I cant roll across, sandy surfaces I sink into, concrete that shells get stuck under my wheels so I cant roll. I guess everything bothers me......

Actually, just people who wont / dont help. There are jobs out there that any person can do if they try. Then again, I show up early to matches just to watch people set things up as I sit there. Every job needs a supervisor! But seriously, there are plenty of things to do to help and keep busy when youre not shooting.

The rules call for an SDQ for arriving at a loading table with spent brass or ammo in a gun! I WILL ask to see and WILL award the penalty if found!

If its the 1st stage of the match, no penalty. If its the 1st stage of the 2nd day of a 2 day match no penalty. If its a following stage, 2,3,4, etc. The penalty will be assessed on the previous stage, not the stage the brass was found at loading table. MT

Besides, if there are spent brass, or ammo in pistol, one will see that shooter is unable to load the ammo into pistols.

Rocky surfaces that I cant roll across, sandy surfaces I sink into, concrete that shells get stuck under my wheels so I cant roll. I guess everything bothers me......

Actually, just people who wont / dont help. There are jobs out there that any person can do if they try. Then again, I show up early to matches just to watch people set things up as I sit there. Every job needs a supervisor! But seriously, there are plenty of things to do to help and keep busy when youre not shooting.

Even though you sat on your butt all day, :P:P thanks for scoring!! You're proof that everyone can chip in and do something to help! No one job is more important than another.

Shooters that spin the cylinders on pistols real fast to show them clear at unloading table. Boy I just hate that... The speed part is over, slow it down so a fella can see those empty chambers.

bingo

I LOVE permanent facades if designed with lot of window and doors. They may challenge a stage writer, but with creativity and imagination I don't think they limit them.

I don't mind a stand and deliver stage now and then, what I don't like is monotony.

And if'n anyone is waiting for me to bend over and pick brass with my hands, well, lets just say yer gonna be waiting a real long time. :D

Good thing you fixed the word "brass"! If Missus Grizz had seen it you would have had some explaining to do! :D

CBG

Had a couple (husband and wife) that had sit on there golf cart all day.

Only getting up so they could shoot. Did not do ANY posse work on the first 4 stages.

Then stage 5 he starts in complaining about the spotters for calling a miss on him.

Had bit my lip for a few stages to keep from saying anything as I was not the PM.

Could not hold it any longer.

Can't say hear what I said then. But he swelled up like he was going to say something back.

But then guess he thought better of it.

They ended up leaving. Which was fine by me. It was time for them to go. OR get off the hind ends and

work like the rest of us. Have never seen them again. People told me they had been pulling that for years

and got away with it.

After three pages and 86 post of whining (me to, I got my share in). I would like to say:

I have been on posses where it was a true pleasure to be on,,,,, Everyone worked, everyone had a cheerful attitude, everyone rushed back to the line after shooting to see how they could help. Everyone was costumed up. Men and women were shagging brass, elbow to elbow. Multi folks going down range to reset targets. The timer was passed around freely,,.. so was the score book,,,, and all TO's were well qualified, helpful, caring, gentle but firm and sympathic when they couldn't save a shooter from themselves. TO's would pass off the timer when their significant came to the line...They didn't want anyone to see it as favortism...

People that couldn't reach the ground shagged the hi brass, the ones that could stoop, did,,,, someone else gathered the findings (brass) and took it back to the ULT.

Yes, there were some medical challenged folks,,,,, but they did everything they could, it showed, and were very appreciative of what the posse did for them.

I think it was.... each member put the other posse members first, and wouldn't let them down,,,, attitude.

It was fun, it can be done again.

Thought of another one, some of those targets just don't "CLANG" loud enough. I know they got hit, I never miss!

[/url]">http://http://s383.photobucket.com/user/dradbrown/media/002_zpshftniyuo.jpg.html'>002_zpshftniyuo.jpg

Well, I guess we are lucky at Paradise Pass. We have PERMANENT FACADES and BUILDINGS to shoot out of.

We can and do move our targets

We have brass rats from the local church for all of our shoots

We have an onsite restaurant to distract Deuce

We never have rain....lol except if it's raining

It almost sounds like Paradise...

I do dislike those that run to the front of the loading line on the last stage and then pack up and leave early.....

It usually only happens at a large match but mine is ten people standing in line behind the loading table, long guns in hand, leaving the posse chores to the same small group of soon to be worn out shooters.

Shooting in orded solves this problem. Random order worse.

I shoot to have fun. Been shooting a little over a year now and all the time has been fun.

Do what I can to help on the posse, spotting, setting targets and shagging brass when I can.

Hard for me to bend down.

Guess my biggest pet peeve is waiting for everybody to posse up for instructions at beginning of stage and flapping their jaws

and then asking several times what the instructions are.

Off my soap box now.

Dirty Bart :D

Sorry. But that is a bunch of bull.

A good PM solves that problem. NOT shooting in order.

At all of the matches that I frequent down here there is not a shooting order. It's pretty much shoot when you can and it works well. I was on a posse at The Prison Break in Yuma, AZ. a few years ago and they had a shooting order and it just seemed like there were lots of people standing in line at the load table that might have been doing something else to help out the posse.

Sorry. But that is a bunch of bull.

A good PM solves that problem. NOT shooting in order.

Yea I agree but being a good PM and trying to get people to work is a job! A job I'm getting a little tired of to be honest! The shoots I enjoy the most are the ones where I don't run a posse. I'll do whatever I can do to help but the responsibility of getting everyone to work and run the timer SO I CAN SHOOT gets to be overwhelming at times! :angry:

My biggest pet peeve (and bout my only one) iz folks thinkin' I wunt either my picture taken or video taken of me....I dunt mind being in posse pics at annual matches but other than that point that stoopit camera sumwheres else..... <_<<_< <_<

After three pages and 86 post of whining (me to, I got my share in). I would like to say:

I have been on posses where it was a true pleasure to be on,,,,, Everyone worked, everyone had a cheerful attitude, everyone rushed back to the line after shooting to see how they could help. Everyone was costumed up. Men and women were shagging brass, elbow to elbow. Multi folks going down range to reset targets. The timer was passed around freely,,.. so was the score book,,,, and all TO's were well qualified, helpful, caring, gentle but firm and sympathic when they couldn't save a shooter from themselves. TO's would pass off the timer when their significant came to the line...They didn't want anyone to see it as favortism...

People that couldn't reach the ground shagged the hi brass, the ones that could stoop, did,,,, someone else gathered the findings (brass) and took it back to the ULT.

Yes, there were some medical challenged folks,,,,, but they did everything they could, it showed, and were very appreciative of what the posse did for them.

I think it was.... each member put the other posse members first, and wouldn't let them down,,,, attitude.

It was fun, it can be done again.

Howdy Blastmaster! If you check out my post #62 you will see I put in a positive post on a negative type topic. Certainly there are those that are limited by physical issues and nobody has a problem with that. I have found over the years of shooting that you pick your favorite matches for a reason. It's getting expensive to shoot so set up some personal rules (IE: Minimum 5 stages needed, no breaks til after the match and no noon starts). And there are still way too many venues I haven't been to yet. Down the Trail !

McCloud

People that could help with posse duties but won't. I guess they feel that if they paid their match fees, all they are responsible for is shooting.

Also, spotters when polled, say, " I THINK there was a miss ". Well folks, that was a hit.

JK

We have a photographer that always switches out the lens to one of those circus mirror ones that make me look like a gray haired old fat man. I hate that.

My biggest pet peeve (and bout my only one) iz folks thinkin' I wunt either my picture taken or video taken of me....I dunt mind being in posse pics at annual matches but other than that point that stoopit camera sumwheres else..... <_<<_< <_<

But that's because we all love you Mary!!! :wub:

If I may add my pet peeve here......

Shooters that leave the posse to get to the next bay and load their guns so they can be first to shoot.

First offense - Talk to their posse Marshal and ask them to talk to the shooter.

Second offense - I am not as nice.

my pet peave???? people wanting to talk about the negatives and not the positives...

Archived