SASS Wire Forum

What Is Your Pet Peeve At A Match?

Bart Solo

It usually only happens at a large match but mine is ten people standing in line behind the loading table, long guns in hand, leaving the posse chores to the same small group of soon to be worn out shooters.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spotters holding up one finger saying 'I think'

Ya need to watch and listen folks! I try not to spot cuz I suck at it, my eye ain't good and I won't call a miss unless I KNOW it was a miss, I often have one less finger up than the other two.

Thankfully most of the time there's enough folks that I can just take my little videos and not do a lot of other chores, though I do feel guilty at times that I'm not. But as one nice lady pointed out to me, if I take video of 5-7 shooters a stage, I'm moving with them to get a good view, I'm working just as hard as if I'd run the clock for those same shooters. But on smaller possies I'll put up the camera and only take hat cam footage while I TO, Spot or do other chores.

Repetitious stages. Same target order multiple times. Spotting by committee.

A TO who tries to coach me on every move and drives me to distraction. I also dislike Match Directors who have limited understanding of SASS rules and assign penalties by the seat of their pants.

People running their mouth while a shooter is on the line. Almost all the video I have is filled full of someone trying to be heard over gunfire. Hello!!!!

Spotters who don't pay attention and then look to see what everyone else thinks. Or "i didn't hear it hit "

Pay attention. Call what you see. It's called spotting not listening.

It usually only happens at a large match but mine is ten people standing in line behind the loading table, long guns in hand, leaving the posse chores to the same small group of soon to be worn out shooters.

Healthy, capable shooters who don't think they need to help with posse duties.

y

Rance ;)

Thinkin' already 2 of mine

Boy you hit the nail on the head!!! BANG!! Nothing frosts my shorts more than that! Some of these people think that the whole shoot revolves around them and somehow they "deserve" to just come and shoot and not help!! We all get paid the same right??? :angry:

Multiple sweeps on a stage. Shoot rifle left to right twice(5 targets), pistols in a right to left double tap Nevada sweep (3targets)and SG from the left 1-3-2-4. Had this at a match not too long ago. The RM thought it would be fun to make folks think once in a while. Also spotters that don't pay attention and have to look at another spotter to make a call.

3 things, and in these order. MT

A- Shooters that come only to shoot and believe posse duties, are able, but isn't required of them.

B- Spotters that spot on other spotters for the call they will make.

C- Paying entry fees, driving a distance, etc. clubs that never post scores, or sometimes in the near future when convenient.

People shouting "need people loading" at the beginning of the stage. folks will get to the load table when they get there. Most likely they want to see the stage run once or twice. Once that happens there's a steady flow. And unless there aren't three spotters and a TO to get started, who cares how many get in line? Everyone has to shoot. The problem lies not in long lines, but with shooters that are done shooting and won't relieve the workers.

This and folks (well intentioned as they maybe) that want to talk to you just as you leave the loading table to shoot.

Already been mentioned several times but:

Those who seem to think their posse job is "Social Director" and the only work they do is flap their jaws.

For big shoots where they usually list "Who do you want to posse with?" I generally will fill it in with - "I don't want to posse with ____."

Spotters - anybody can miss a call and I include myself - it took me a while to learn that your viewing angle when spotting is important and I try to

follow the shooter and get a clear view of the targets when spotting. Even so, sometimes someone will step in front of me, TO or shooter will move and

I have to give the benefit of the doubt to the shooter when that happens.

Worst two examples of "Spotter Failure" I have is shooting from inside a building/false front finish the stage, turn around and look and spotters are back

outside the stage and can't possibly have been able to see the targets. The other is finishing the stage, turn around, two spotters are sitting on a bench

facing each other thirty feet from the shooting line having a conversation. Didn't help that the pistol targets were stone dead and made no noise when

hit. (Yeah, I watched them after I shot, and their heads obviously weren't in the game but on whatever matter/s they were discussing.)

My hat is off to those who will admit upfront - "I'm not good at spotting - I'll do another chore."

A few of my peeves..........

Shooters who stand around visiting, laughing and cutting up while the stage instructions are being read THEN..... hold everybody up as they ask for clarification and basically want the instructions read all over JUST FOR THEM.

Along the same lines as above, there are always one or two (usually the same ones) who want to challenge the sweeps, and ask for reasons why this and that (usually the SAME nonsense every match) and questions like "can we start at the end of the table instead of the middle?" , "why can't we start at the left and sweep right instead?", "Do our palms have to actually be flat on the table or will fingertips be ok?"

I saved my favorite for last............ Our club always sends out an email the night before as a reminder and weather update. always ending with..."setup is at 8, matches start at 9". Almost the SAME four guys are always there at 8 to start unloading the target trailer and start setting up the targets and stages. I'm 65 and the arthritis in my hands and hips makes grabbing the heavy targets a chore most of the time but I manage and it irks me to no end to see the same group of younger stouter fellows arrive just in time to dawn their gear, get in line at the loading table and start shooting. By the way, these are usually the first to leave when the match is over, some even load up and leave after they shot their last match and don't even care what anyone else is doing.

I'm there to have fun and watch others, why some folks even show is beyond me!

And unless there aren't three spotters and a TO to get started, who cares how many get in line?

1. Well, the folks working the stage from the beginning sure care! Unless folks ahead of you in the loading line are willing to immediately jump into working as soon as they are done shooting, and it depends upon you to relieve someone, if you stand in line for 15 minutes, that is 15 minutes you did not even try to help with the posse chores. And the farther back in the line you start (joining the line when there's already 8 shooters there), the more it appears you are shirking the posse duties.

Next time, ask around at the firing line after a shooter is done - any worker need relief? Have you spotted for 5 shooters already ? - if so, let me take your stick. Have you timed five so far? I can run the timer.....etc. I'll score, hand me the book!

It's ALWAYS the first relief of the workers who jump on chores at the beginning of the stage that is the longest in coming, from what I've seen.

2. Poor spotting, or poor knowledge of the rules so you try to assign the wrong penalty, then argue over it, wasting everyone's time.

Good luck, GJ

Self appointed "experts".

I'm not talking about those who offer friendly advice based on their experience about "your guns, ammo, gun cart, costume, etc., etc., etc." Heck, I'm about as talkative as it gets and enjoy meeting new people and discussing my choices of gear, guns, and other accooterments.

I'm talking about the ones that start most sentences with... "You should..." or "You really need to..." or "The best way to do this is...".

The other is those who are less than dilligent and/or cautious with the direction they point their muzzles, the firearm type that is.

Boy you hit the nail on the head!!! BANG!! Nothing frosts my shorts more than that! Some of these people think that the whole shoot revolves around them and somehow they "deserve" to just come and shoot and not help!! We all get paid the same right??? :angry:

Reminds me of why I stopped shooting I--- and U----.

Just sayin'

AR

Not Starting on time.

Lets get this show on the road at the correct time.

Slow moving posse when there is no need to be moving that slow.

Get things set. And next shooter.

People running their mouth while a shooter is on the line. Almost all the video I have is filled full of someone trying to be heard over gunfire. Hello!!!!

I usually stop shooting when I want to say something... distracting the TO is my specialty... it's probably not funny... but seems so when the TO doesn't know the answer to the following question: "which target is next?"

Folks thinkin' I need to shoot faster.

I'm probably a lot of folks pet peeve at a shoot... Yeehaw! My job is done here!

Ta Daaa!! :wacko: Just because the same four or five shooters pitch right in to get the chores done don't mean they planned to do it all day. When you ain't shooting go to the line and give these folks a break, they are usually the same ones that set out all that steel yesterday ;)

#1 Shooters that don't work. If you can make it to the line to shoot you can do something to help out.

#2 Poor spotting. We count misses. Did you see a miss or just not see a hit. There's a big difference.

Yep, position yerself to see all of the targets, even if you have to move out of the shade ever now and again. :blink:

#3 It does not take five people at ULT to remove a squib or clear a jamb. :o Unless the shooter asks you we can use you on the line :huh:

D. Start on the left, start on the left........... :wacko:

#5 Having to show my guns clear at the loading table.....it's the Loading Table :P

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

All of the recurring offenses I normally see have already been mentioned so I'll throw out one I've only seen a couple of times................thankfully. I try to schedule vacations so that I'll be able to shoot with whatever local club happens to be near my vacation spot. On a scale of 1 - 10 I rate my CAS shooting skills about a 6, maybe 7 on a good day. But a couple of times that was good enough to be the top shooter at those clubs that day. Yeee gawd, you'd have thought I was a horse thief. Some of the comments were down right nasty. (All muttered under their breath, of course.) I absolutely LOVE this sport and 99.999999% of the people in it but dang, there sure are some folks out there that take things way too seriously.

Yep, voted with my wallet and never been back.

From the consensus of all the comments, it seems that the most pet peeves, are that not all posses members help with the chores. That is mine too. Every posse member needs to help with all the chores.......period.

I had a new shooter tell me he'd paid his fee to shoot... not to work! So, I told him that was the discounted rate for those that helped... otherwise the day would be an additional $100. He didn't come back. I felt so bad, I took the wife dancing that nite! Oh, wait... that was already on the agenda... ;);)

Archived