SASS Wire Forum

2016 Colorado State Championship Match July 1-3, 2016

Grizzly Dave

Hi Griz, Kelli and I are think Ng of coming if we can find some decent accommodation that's not too expensive.

Jackeroo - it would be awesome to have you and your lovely bride join us! I mean after all she needs to defend her TOP OVERALL finish from last year!

I am staying at the same place as last year, and I think you all were there as well. There are a couple places a few bucks less expensive, but they didn't review as well. Let me know if you'd like me to do some research and let you know what prices are at a few places around.

Grizz

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wish I cud join y'all

I wish ya cud tuu....I still taint got a chance ta show ya where tha Culpepper Ranch stood....ya kin see if from tha campin' area... ;)

I'z shur gonna miss all yu Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan folks next weekend tho.... :(

Hard to believe that the 2016 SASS Colorado State Championship match for Cowboy Action Shooting is only a little more than 6 weeks away! I can't wait! For those who haven't yet sent in their entry forms, please do so ASAP as the club needs to make final arrangements for catering, name badges, and other such things. For those in the area, even if you aren't interested in shooting the match, you may want to come check it out and visit the vendors and see what this Cowboy Action Shooting thing is all about!

If any of you folks are looking for a fun match, this is it! I went to this match in 2014 and the stages are all fun and creative and everyone associated with the club is good people. I was disappointed I couldn't work it out for last year, but I will be back this year

Jackeroo - it would be awesome to have you and your lovely bride join us! I mean after all she needs to defend her TOP OVERALL finish from last year!

I am staying at the same place as last year, and I think you all were there as well. There are a couple places a few bucks less expensive, but they didn't review as well. Let me know if you'd like me to do some research and let you know what prices are at a few places around.

Grizz

Thanks Buddy,

Not sure yet, it will depend on how I'm feeling after EOT, not sure if I'm even shooting that yet, as I had triple by pass heart surgery while we were back in Aussie.???

Only got back yesterday and its been 11.5 weeks since the op.

I may book the motel anyway, can always cancel. Days Inn it was, the Super 8 doesn't look too crash hot??

Jackeroo - I've had fairly good luck with Super 8s in the past, but have never stayed at the one in Fort Collins.

Best of luck with your continued recovery and at EOT! Hope to see you at CO State, but if not hope to see you down the trail soon.

Grizz

didn't know bout the surgery Jackaroo, so as much as we'd luv ta have yu and Kelli, YU TAKE CARE OF YERSELF FIRST!!! If you can make it....great, that will be wonderful.....but if not then yu need ta stay healthy so we gits ya back here plenty more times in tha future.... ;)

Lots of details coming together that I'll try to share with you over the next weeks.

This year we will have a 30x45 ft tent with tables and chairs and lights up at the parking / camping area so that we'll have plenty shade for lunches and a place for the Friday and Saturday evening activities. Lunches will be catered by Les' BBQ and if it's the outfit I'm thinking of, the brisket is awesome as is the rest of their fare! Shooter lunches are included on Saturday and Sunday, but for Friday side match day you're on your own. At this point there isn't a Friday food vendor set up, but that could change.

Saturday evening at the Shootout is gonna be a hoot and three hollars! And maybe even more than one hoot!

In the big tent at the parking / camping area just by the cowboy range, there will be....

Side match awards....

Pot luck dinner....

Cowboy game night....

Major prize drawings....

and

Ric-a-d-split entertaining us singing and play the guitar!

Cowboy games will include Blackjack, poker, and Faro! We will be playing for chips that at the end of the night are traded in for tickets for a number of prize drawings. Volunteer dealers are needed, drop GW or Ted a line if you are interested!

I don't know about you all, but I am getting EXCITED!

zCIMG9615.jpg

Friday will be side match day!

sidematch.jpg

Wild Bunch side match (4 stages) starts at 8am. No pre-registration necessary.

Speed side matches and cowboy warm up stages will be open from 10 am to 4 pm. Long range will run from 1 pm to 5 pm. Help running side matches is always welcome and appreciated! If you would be willing to run a side match for an hour or two, please let GW or Ted know, or you can let me know and I'll pass it along.

Cowboy Sporting Clays -- Great Guns Sporting will run two Sporting Clays courses of 30 birds each for Cowboy Guns and Open categories. Check in at the Great Guns office for this event. Available all day Friday and Saturday until 3.

Cowboy Quail Flush presented by Great Guns Sporting will be held Saturday after lunch. If you missed this event in years past you missed a Hoot. A team of three on the firing line and a seemingly endless flight of birds, using Cowboy Action Shotguns. I don’t know who laughs more, the spectators or the shooters. Teams of three shooters, $15 per team to cover the cost of birds, bring lots of shells.

Top gun shootout! Sunday after lunch we will hold a head to head top gun shootout! This event is open to all comers and is as fun to watch as it is to shoot!

Thursday arrival should be just fine, we are even going to try and have registration open for a few hours Thursday afternoon for anyone there by then. Camping is first come first parked ;) , and several of our folks will be camping there the entire week before. Buick and I will be taking our trailer up the prior weekend, but due to our work schedules won't be able to be there until Friday evening, but there should be plenty of other folks on hand to welcome you! :D

SUNDAY AT THE SHOOTOUT!

Sunday at the shootout will start with Cowboy Church in the big tent, followed by 6 main match stages.

Lunch will again be catered by Les's BBQ and will be a different menu that Saturday. Shooters lunches are included with your entry fee.

After lunch we'll have a man on man top gun SHOOTOUT open to all comers. The rest of the afternoon is free to socialize at the camp, or get cleaned up and put on your finest duds for the Banquet.

Awards and Banquet will be held at the VFW (now part of the Bison Breath Saloon) in Ault. Awards at 5, open to all with a no-host bar. Banquet afterwards for those with tickets ($20 each). Catered by Nordy's BBQ out of Loveland. The menu will be BBQ brisket, Aunt Jean's beans, smoked sausage, Cole slaw, Nordy's biscuits. 6 flavors of BBQ sauces. Entertainment by Ric-a-d-split. If you didn't sign up for the banquet on your entry but would like a ticket, please let GW Ryder know so that we can provide accurate numbers to the caterer, you can pay when you get here.

And at the end of the night, if you are lucky, you may just get to take home one of the nice table decorations made by Calico Mary.

13235433_10205122876751602_1932620201598

Hard to believe we are only about 5 weeks away. Really looking forward to coming back

Only 5 weeks away? I had best get to loading some ammo!

Lots of details are coming together, and coming together quite nicely to make this the best Shootout at Pawnee Station ever! And since past matches were nothing short of awesome, that's saying something!!!

As Calico passed along to Rose, showing up with your camper on Thursday is no problem at all. There is a ton of space for campers and no assigned spaces, first come, first parked. There will be porta potties in the camping area, but no hookups of any kind, so plan accordingly.

We will be having a work party at the range this weekend, if you are in the area and would be willing to help out either Saturday or Sunday or both, please let Ted know, or you can let me know and I'll pass it along. Many hands makes light work, and lunch will be provided.

the pics are just a small sample, there will be an entire old west town of little buildings, and several more crocheted pieces, I just couldn't get everything in tha pics. There's only 3 of the little pots, but Buick promised me at least 1 more little leather buffalo (he makes those) it's much cuter than the picture shows... ;)

Things are coming along nicely for the 2016 Colorado State match! Today we had a work day at the range and completed surveying and grading all of the bays for improved drainage. We also put a fresh coat of paint on the Score Shack, a coat of paint on the roof of the depot, and scraped and refurbished some signs.

13329617_10205142673886518_2131278142117

Sunday was another work day at the range. With the dirt work done it was all hands on deck with paint brushes. LJ's Pleasure Palace got some nice painted trim which should help raise it's status to 'high class cat house!'

13344752_538370256369324_529609364942769

In the coming weeks the temporary stage fronts and props will come out of storage and be put up, repaired as needed and get some paint. Lots to do, but many hands makes light work and it will be worth it to welcome all the shooters to the 2016 SASS CO State Championship match!

Still time to get your entries in! If at all possible please get your entries in soon so that we can have name badges made up and provide an accurate count to our caterers.

If you are on the fence about attending, please send me a PM or ask your questions here, I'll be happy to twist your arm into coming, er, uh, I mean answer all of your questions!

YeeHaw this is gonna be GREAT! I can't wait!

Grizz

OK Grizz, looks like we're coming, been shooting a fair bit an no problem with the shotgun.

But the time we get there I'll be back up to speed, now taht I got new free flowing intake & exhaust pipes. :lol::lol::lol:

I'll mail the entry in tomorrow, put us with that Wild Horse character :D:D:D

Here are the category state champ buckles, shooter pins, clean match pins, and side match winner medals!

You can't win one if you don't come play!

13312846_519650874889281_154225465212273

Sweet!

Thanks Major! The Shootout committee has been working hard to make sure all of the awards are top notch, and I think they've done a great job!

The events schedule has been fairly well finalized and is up on the website.

YEEHAW! Is it time to shoot yet???

Why are the awards not at the range? Does everyone really want to take their vehicles loaded with guns and park in Ault? Im not saying Ault is that bad, but still. Parking issues, people with campers have to leave their campers at the range, just to go back to town. Maybe its just me, but I think it would have been better to keep it all at the range.

main reason not to have the banquet at the range is that the weather ini tha afternoons at that time of year can be iffy at best.....yu really wanna risk making all the ladies mad by getting all their fine dresses all muddy?? keep in mind most of us have guns tuu..... :lol::P

Archived