SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun belts

Dirt Merchant  # 61422

I'm no Lefty and sorry for this comparison but I'm wearing my belt right over my belly button and my holsters low. I'm also 6'2" and 200 pounds so the ratio is off just a little...a lot. This is not normally how I wear my belts but after seeing the nine second run, maybe we all should. DSCN2030.jpg

Are those designer jeans???????? :D :D :D :D :D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any reason that suspenders could not be added to a shotgun belt to keep it at the same height?

I have to wear mine through one side of my suspenders to keep it from sliding up to my ribcage. No belly to do the job.

Slim don't eat much cuz he spends all his extra $$ keeping Kaya shootin'

--Dawg

Now there I can't complain! She reloads enough to be self supporting for both of our ammo needs and buy a couple rifles! If she picks it up a tad she can pay off the camper.

Are those designer jeans???????? :D :D :D :D :D

Just get sloppy with the paint when doing repairs and you too could have a pair . Low slung is optional but really pulls off the look .

I went and watched the vid again,,,,, ide put down a quick $k that is shotgun belt is legal!!!!

and I wouldn't have even have looked knowing this young man and his mentors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was a new guy, just starting out when I saw a double barl side by side shooter, think his name was Deadly Redly (perhaps??) shooting with the shotgun mounted all the way to the armpit and he was pretty good at it. What I think was applicable about it was the fact that it placed his belt in what was the one position that his belt would stay put without staples or super glue! Probably at least twenty years ago since some old photos were produced on this here WIRE but I did not know that these old photos would be very important later and should be saved, nah, if those photos showed up tomorrow it would not change the rule. :wacko: I would bet that MR Redlys(?) reason for the wore his belt had a lot more to do with comfort and convience than it does with a simple gaming trick. Pete, the belt suspenders thing is a good question to ask PWB while we have his ear

Red was a very competitive shooter. Excellent shot with pistol, rifle & shotgun. CAS wasn't his first shooting competitive sort... and while I wouldn't suspect that he'd ever break a rule, but if it wasn't against the rules, it'd be worth trying if there was an advantage. He'd also encountered a number of life's challenges that affected his mobility, IIRC.

My 1989 makes no mention of how one was supposed to wear one's gear, but the 1997 SHB specifically prohibits the "bra-style" SG belt. I can't find my 1995 SHB, but it seems that's about the timeframe it came about.

I went and watched the vid again,,,,, ide put down a quick $k that is shotgun belt is legal!!!!

and I wouldn't have even have looked knowing this young man and his mentors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep , but what can ya do . Some people gotta pick .

As Lefty's Mom, I can tell you that my husband & I are awfully darn proud of our son. I guess if you're talking about him, you're leaving someone else alone. Carry on........

Most Wanted & Cheyenne, THANK YOU both.

Sweetie (99.9% of the time)

I don't really understand why people make excuses for the people breaking the rules, maybe that's why they continue breaking them, because they think no one really cares.

You can watch a handful of youtube videos any day of the week and even some posted on this forum and it's quite easy to see ammo belts being worn half way to their chins!

Of recent, I have posted numerous videos of SG techniques and speed techniques using dummy rounds.

I can assure folks that my SG belt is positioned 100% legal, at my belly button, ALL the time. Even in my dryfire practice.

That is why I questioned the 'speed advantage' of anyone who wears their SG belt higher than allowed. A SG belt positioned at the belly button actually seems to be the place where the hand can swing down correctly for shells, without using any upward motions of the shoulder.

Anyhow, for the record, I don't perceive ANY of the recent speed videos as appearing to have any illegal positioning of SG belts, etc... regardless of who is featured in the video.

..........Widder

When you post youtube videos and before youtube videos were popular videos on Doc Shapiro's and Leadspencers websites you have to know that you are going to be subject to ridicule and put under a microscope. Same goes for if you enjoy any kind of success as a shooter in this game. The microscope grows even finer. Nature of the beast. Best to have your poop in a group or someone will tell you it isn't even if it is.

It was not my intention to bring anything other than attention to shotgun belt locations. I apologize to Lefty if it became personal, that was not my intention

It could be as Duece alludes to that the videos portray angles and views other than what is real and perception becomes an opinion.

When you post youtube videos and before youtube videos were popular videos on Doc Shapiro's and Leadspencers websites you have to know that you are going to be subject to ridicule and put under a microscope. Same goes for if you enjoy any kind of success as a shooter in this game. The microscope grows even finer. Nature of the beast. Best to have your poop in a group or someone will tell you it isn't even if it is.

very true and well sed,,,,

as a funny aside,,,, first boobs and now poop,,,, oh my!! sed with tongue in cheek and entirely without malice and with laughter in mind!!!

Since I have sold Lefty and his family MANY articles of clothing and known the young man and his family since I could pick him up with one hand, I'll back Shy Annie's $K with one of my own that that shotgun belt is in the right place!!!

Jeans like he is wearing in the video ride at the top of the hip bone normally. That's where he is wearing them in the video. He wears his guns at the top of his hip bones as well. The shotgun belt may appear higher due to the change in perspective of the video, (shot from slightly above or even with his shoulders and pretty close as well) or because of the illusion created by wearing street clothes.

If this is the video and person in question, YOU ARE BARKING UP THE WRONG TREE!!!

I HAVE seen a few high shotgun belts and have mentioned it to the offender when I did. Some of them were new shooters. Most of them were fat old men like me!! :lol::lol:

Ammo belts must be worn so all ammo is positioned at or below the belly button

Page 11 of the shooter hand book

Lots of young shooter have there shotgun belts high, because it helps when there picking up brass

Thanks for helping at every shoot lefty

Billy the Avenger

Deuce, that is true. Sad, but true as in all sports/games. And I can assure you, Clayton doesn't let anything he reads on here get to him. I wish I could say the same for myself.....

It's very disheartening as a parent, to discover that a couple of individuals are on a public forum accusing your son/daughter of ignoring the rules, & basically cheating. Or better yet, "they can't understand why someone hasn't called him out sooner." So, yes. Myself as a parent, I take it personally. What parent wouldn't?

He works his tail end off whether it be soccer,shooting or basketball. And he has been very fortunate to have success in all his sports because of hard work & dedication. Nothing more, nothing less.

Bottom line, WE know the rules & WE make dam sure our son follows them.

Thank you Widder & Blackwater. You words are very much appreciated.

Sweetie

Sweetie,,, if y'all are gonna be at GOA we cud make a vid of Lefty's BB!!!! or have him run a stage shirtless......

Deuce, that is true. Sad, but true as in all sports/games. And I can assure you, Clayton doesn't let anything he reads on here get to him. I wish I could say the same for myself.....

It's very disheartening as a parent, to discover that a couple of individuals are on a public forum accusing your son/daughter of ignoring the rules, & basically cheating. Or better yet, "they can't understand why someone hasn't called him out sooner." So, yes. Myself as a parent, I take it personally. What parent wouldn't?

He works his tail end off whether it be soccer,shooting or basketball. And he has been very fortunate to have success in all his sports because of hard work & dedication. Nothing more, nothing less.

Bottom line, WE know the rules & WE make dam sure our son follows them.

Thank you Widder & Blackwater. You words are very much appreciated.

Sweetie

I have an idea that my wife and I would get along with you VERY well. Look forward to meeting you all someday.

I have an idea that my wife and I would get along with you VERY well. Look forward to meeting you all someday.

Slim!! You won't meet finer folks anywhere!!

Ammo belts must be worn so all ammo is positioned at or below the belly button

Page 11 of the shooter hand book

Billy has it right, and is a point I'd like to clarify. As drilled by our local RO Instructor Flying W Ramrod, it's the position of the AMMO, not the position of the belt that's the determining factor. The bottom of the ammo, not the bottom of the belt, must be at or below the belly button.

I can tell ya this widout even looking Lefty is in tha right IF he is tha one some speak of! Wish he was my son! One who has any success in this game will be subjected to higher standards, they should be widout a doubt. I shot a SXS before it was tha "IN" thing ta shoot, I've heard tha comments that tha match was set up for him ta win an everything else. I've went before tha Mule camp match dir to OK a shotgun belt before I used it in tha regional. I've heard it all to tha point I started wearing CHAPS,CUFFS,SCARF,KNIFE,SPURS,GARTERS tha whole nine yards ta justify winning by practice an alotta luck.

To folks who poke hard words for those who do good,well My five minutes of fame was winning 7 regionals back to back in tha north an south regions practice an luck won em all!

I'll say one last thing, I've never seen a champion win with anything underboard!!!

As far as Dirt goes im sure he ment no harm in this post. (I've seen a lot of high SG belts over tha years but they were always worn by those futher down tha pole.

RRR

I just don't get it. I would have thought that with all the rules to be adhered to that reading one simple sentence wouldn't be that hard to do and to comply with.

The way I read page 11 of the manual where it says pretty clearly.........• Ammo belts must be worn so all ammo is positioned at or below the belly button.

Now I wasn't an English major and never got the knack of diagramming sentences but I can understand what the above 16 words means and am guessing everyone else does too.

Nitpick the rule all you want, try to interpret it to suit your particular needs, twist the true intent of the rule all around to where it no longer makes any sense, talk about fat old guys, skinny kids or anything in-between, the bottom line is so simple I can't understand how anyone can argue it............ "all ammo is positioned at or below the belly button". Not the top of the belt, not the bottom of the belt at or near or sorta close.

Per this rule your belt could be six inches tall (as long as it is "period correct")......... as long as the ammo itself is at the proper level, at or below the belly button.... Not sorta close if you are diabetic, or just plain ole overweight or skinny as a rail and the belt keeps falling off unless you wear it high. It is what it is, deal with it or put some S/G rounds on your gun belt and be done with it.

I think if everyone would just abide by the rules, threads like this would never even get started.

Just an FYI, I know diabetic people that are not fat.

So there...

Phantom

...and I know fat people that aren't diabetic.

So there, again... :P

Taz

Let's put this thread to bed. It was not my Intention to slam Lefty, AND FOR THAT I APOLOGIZE to Lefty

I have noticed many shooters with high shotgun belts and I made an issue of it.

I have busted my butt assisting young shooters over the years and would not demean one of them for anything.

There is no doubt I could have written my post better and been more objective and for that I also apologize .

Dirt

A six page thread on designer jeans and now two more pages on shotgun belt placement and belly buttons. Are we cowboy shooting or holding a fashion show here? The way people nitpick, you'd think the prize really was a Cadillac.

A six page thread on designer jeans and now two more pages on shotgun belt placement and belly buttons. Are we cowboy shooting or holding a fashion show here? The way people nitpick, you'd think the prize really was a Cadillac.

There is a difference between the two.

Designer Jeans = What????

Belly Button rule = at or below the Belly Button.

This isn't "Nitpicking". These are the Rules. Don't like 'em? Then Change them!

Phantom

PS: Folks, please stop with the "Cadillac" thing...it's getting old.

Let's put this thread to bed. It was not my Intention to slam Lefty, AND FOR THAT I APOLOGIZE to Lefty

I have noticed many shooters with high shotgun belts and I made an issue of it.

I have busted my butt assisting young shooters over the years and would not demean one of them for anything.

There is no doubt I could have written my post better and been more objective and for that I also apologize .

Dirt

You did nothing wrong IMO. I think folks sometimes need a reminder about some of the rules...and I would never had guessed who was in question based on your post alone. It was others that insisted on trying to figure out who you were referring too that brought it to my attention. Typical...rather then just simply dealing with your post, they had to find a way to point back at you and make your question the issue.

Too sad...

Phantom

go to the "9 second stage " thread in this forum which is why I started this to begin with. I am old and fat, it's not about me gaining an edge or a shooter gaining and edge over me, it's about a mostly ignored rule and I play by the rules.

Hey Phantom , I think this post said Exactly who he was talking about. Bringing up a rule that you think is being abused is one thing. Slamming a kid that isn't breaking it is another. BUT Dirt did apologize so hopefully there's no hard feelings. MW

I'm no Lefty and sorry for this comparison but I'm wearing my belt right over my belly button and my holsters low. I'm also 6'2" and 200 pounds so the ratio is off just a little...a lot. This is not normally how I wear my belts but after seeing the nine second run, maybe we all should. I think you may owe the young man an apology DSCN2030.jpg

Ha you aren't wearing boots?

Shoot well at Guns of August my friend!

Hey Phantom , I think this post said Exactly who he was talking about. Bringing up a rule that you think is being abused is one thing. Slamming a kid that isn't breaking it is another. BUT Dirt did apologize so hopefully there's no hard feelings. MW

Yer right...but I don't see anything wrong with bringing this topic up. I don't see it as Dirt accusing the shooter of cheating but rather him perhaps not being aware of the situation (rule).

Of course, without being there it's hard to know exactly where the Belly Button is.

Why folks think that Dirt is attacking is beyond me.

Unfortunately only a few folks will read this thread that aren't up on the rule...while those that truly NEED to be aware of this rule will continue to be in their dark little fantasy land of Unknown.

Phantom

Archived