SASS Wire Forum

my new idea for folks who can't carry spare magazines

Trigger Mike

Since many pistols now come standard with a rail underneath and since you usually don't sleep with a magazine pouch why can't someone make a clip that holds a spare magazine that attaches to the rail underneath so that if awakened during the night and you run out(especially in states where round count is limited like NY etc) you always have a spare to reload with instantly and don't have to rummage thru the nightstand in the middle of a problem.

I would imagine that the recoil would cause the mag to become dislodged unless the clip was so strong it would be difficult for you to get it off. Perhaps a good engineer could figure it out. I'm basically against anything that hangs off or changes the weight/geometry of a handgun. That's just me.

just thinking out loud. i once thought the rail was important but then realized its not and switched to one without it. I do wonder though in a true invasion with multiple suspects you'd be glad it was there. the weight might cut down on muzzle flip if nothing else. spare ammo never hurt

I would imagine that the recoil would cause the mag to become dislodged unless the clip was so strong it would be difficult for you to get it off. Perhaps a good engineer could figure it out. I'm basically against anything that hangs off or changes the weight/geometry of a handgun. That's just me.

So now I need to take the forearm off my 1911, the one with the flashlight, radar antenna and camera?

What about the stereo speakers and the flashing light bar? And of course the beer holder......

You do realize that this could wreck the bottom line for Picatinny and his Rail.

wel why not two pistols under your pillow, an AR or shotgun leaning against the wall by your bed, a third pistol in one of those holsters that fit into the space between the matters and box spring and then you'll get confused as to which to grab and while deciding your wife hits them over the head with the baseball bat

Depending on how valuable your furniture is, you can glue an industrial strength magnet to the side or back of your nightstand and use that to keep your magazines in place.

For inside my home, I have a SG with a Surefire lighted fore-end to ID the target. On my wife's :wub: side of the bed, she has her Glock 22 with Surefire light ready. We have practiced what to do many, many times.

On the street, I carry at least 1 reload(if not 2)and a small Surefire light, along with my cell-phone.

After surviving two shootings(1 as an LEO, 1 was attempted business burglary-Both at night)-You quickly learn you can't have enough ammo or light ^_^

OLG

Should be easy enough for someone in the industry. A plastic mag pouch with a closed end (to prevent the "spillage" concern) and hold the mag. in place by the same notch, or whatever, in the mag that holds it in the pistol. Released for use with a button.

While I'm also against changing the natural balance of most guns, for use with an "emergency" firearm having extra ammo attached makes sense. In that case, I think the benefit of having extra ammo readily available outweighs the concern over change of balance. Now, flashlight or ammo might be a tougher choice.

Angus

I'm so thankful I don't live in a war zone like most people here. It must be very stressful living in constant fear all the time. We only have a hundred or so murders a year where I live so I don't feel the need to have a gun within arms reach everywhere I go in my house, nor have to sleep with multiple guns and mags under my pillow and mattress. Seems like that would be rather lumpy and take away from a good night's sleep.

Best reload is another gun with full magazine.

Have two guns under your pillow or in night stand if you are than concerned.

That is my plan. Even though statistically you won't need a reload. Better to have it.... ;)

Never fond of pillow guns though.

I'm so thankful I don't live in a war zone like most people here. It must be very stressful living in constant fear all the time. We only have a hundred or so murders a year where I live so I don't feel the need to have a gun within arms reach everywhere I go in my house, nor have to sleep with multiple guns and mags under my pillow and mattress. Seems like that would be rather lumpy and take away from a good night's sleep.

I live waaay out in the country.

NO place is safe.

Depending on how valuable your furniture is, you can glue an industrial strength magnet to the side or back of your nightstand and use that to keep your magazines in place.

Unless tou have a Glock. ;)

Howdy,

Gun stays in holster, holster is attached to belt, belt has spare mag.

Grab all at once.

Or as has been said before a handgun is just something to make bad guy duck

while you reach for a real weapon.

Best

CR

Let's assume that a smart engineer can secure the magazine to the rail, solve the ammo spillage issue, and rig a quick release that holds the mag but let's it come free when you need it. I am an engineer and believe this is truly possible.

So you got your rig and are sleeping peacefully next to the missus when bad guys come in. Several of them. And the poop has hit the ventilator.

BangBangBangBang!!!! Until the first magazine is empty.

Dump the empty. Pull the spare off the rail. Slam it home. Close the slide.

A totally different gun is now in your hands. The mass and physics has changed. And your muscles are trying to correlate what they've memorized with what is actually in their hands.

Keep the spare mag in the punch. Keep the light or laser sight on the rail. Just my view from the cheap seats.

Really, the answer is a mag pouch on the belt and lots of practice moving from one mag to the next. While moving. Preferably towards a shotgun.

If I have to defend myself at night from my bedroom, I'm not reaching for a pistol. If I have time to get up and move I have time to grab the Benelli.

get a glock...

get a 33rd magazine for said glock..

problem solved..you have the ammo capacity of a reload,,,, without the hassle of the exchange.

that will be $250 consulting fees,,,,please

But ya can't get the aforementioned mag in Clorado anymore. :(:angry:

here is the answer to your dilemma, without the need to hang crap all over your pistol.

9d79e322-5bac-4bac-92d7-43663e3e4737.jpg

yhs

prof marvel

Ya gonna put that on in the middle of the night? ;)

You gave your hideout location away with that recent areial photo. They know we're ya live now.

They already knew. It's in the July issue of NSA Monthly magazine. ;)

Really, the answer is a mag pouch on the belt and lots of practice moving from one mag to the next. While moving. Preferably towards a shotgun.

If I have to defend myself at night from my bedroom, I'm not reaching for a pistol. If I have time to get up and move I have time to grab the Benelli.

The REALLY prepared way would be to have a ballistic vest with a holstered gun, magazine pouches, flashlight, and cell phone on it on the back of a chair. Roll out of bed, throw on the vest, and you're ready to take them on.

I rather wonder what you all do with your arsenal of weapons that is in you bedroom when you leave for the day?

Home invasion can/will happen when you are not there and if you leave all the artillery laying around,, then there is easy pickings for the perp.

I doubt you gather it all up each time you leave and make safe.

Gee... I kinda feel neekid with only a shotgun, DA 45 colt and one big intelligent healer/ Aussie cross that is on DUTY every night and day! Of course out back in the barn there might be a 97 .....or something, stoked up in case the bad guys want to play "Wild Bunch" ^_^

I'm Guessing Ocotillo Annie won't mind an AK under the covers, you can never have enough "protection" you know? :)

Actually these only exist in my "virtual" world We would never want to harm an underprivileged intruder! <_<

We would never want to harm an underprivileged intruder! <_<

Captain, Captain, Captain! How can you be so harsh and unfeeling? They are not underprivileged intruders, but simply "unexpected guests"! ;):D

Archived