SASS Wire Forum

is Winchester 1892 takedown SASS legal

Trigger Mike

Sure looks like a full size shoulder stock to me. If it has a full size shoulder stock and a barrel less than 16 inches it would be a SBR, which is legal to own with the proper paper work. OTOH SASS rules require all rifles to have a barrel length of at least 16".

Oh wow didn't mean to create such a debating point,

I guess it all comes down to where you reside.

The gun in question is a Chiappa Arms Mare's Leg in .44 mag cal.- see link for original configuration, and is classified and bought here in the UK as an under-lever rifle.
It was manufactured as is and not converted from a full-size 1892 - which as someone else has pointed out is a no-no.

I happen to own an original Winchester '92 and switched stocks - makes it so much easier to handle and shoot.
Hope this clears things up.
Now - how about buying a pair of these puppies, along with the holsters that are available and using them as match pistols? :P

http://s899.photobucket.com/user/cassog33/media/IMG_1189.jpg.html

As was said in post #5, that's a lever-action pistol. Not SASS-legal.

As for the Mare's Leg - while it is manufactured that way, and is, here in the States, legally a pistol, as soon as a shoulder-stock was placed on it, it becomes (again, here in the States), a Short-Barreled-Rifle, and is subject to the requirements of the National Firearms Act. It does not matter whether you take a rifle and cut the barrel to less than 16 inches, or take a pistol and put a shoulder stock on it. Either way and you have made an SBR.

Now, I did not notice, when you first posted, that you were in England. Whether the gun is legal for you to own or not - I don't know. I do know that NFA items are illegal for SASS, whether they are legal to own or not. I presume that SASS rules apply all around the world. If that is so, then that eleven-inch barreled rifle in post #4 is not SASS-legal.

As for the Mare's Leg - while it is manufactured that way, and is, here in the States, legally a pistol, as soon as a shoulder-stock was placed on it, it becomes (again, here in the States), a Short-Barreled-Rifle, and is subject to the requirements of the National Firearms Act. It does not matter whether you take a rifle and cut the barrel to less than 16 inches, or take a pistol and put a shoulder stock on it. Either way and you have made an SBR.

Now, I did not notice, when you first posted, that you were in England. Whether the gun is legal for you to own or not - I don't know. I do know that NFA items are illegal for SASS, whether they are legal to own or not. I presume that SASS rules apply all around the world. If that is so, then that eleven-inch barreled rifle in post #4 is not SASS-legal.

SASS rules adapt to accommodate local problems. For example if shooters are limited to 22 caliber, that's the way it is, or "no pump" shotguns.

Trust me the gun is legal here in the UK. If it weren't there is no way that it would be registered on my FAC (Firearms Certificate) and residing in my gun safe. You guys Stateside have no idea how stringent our Firearms laws are over here and how strictly they are enforced. Do you know for instance that we are only allowed to own muzzle-loading pistols - all our CAS shooting has to be done with cap & ball models.

The entry for the ML on my FAC - as typed up and issued by our local police firearms dept. simply lists it as an under lever rifle - there is no mention of the barrel length - which is actually 12 inches.

My question about using a pair of them as pistols by the way was made in jest. I thought the smiley made that obvious.

Sorry about any confusion.

• 3 months later...

The ranch hand and mares leg are pistols. When you change the stock it becomes a short barrel rifle. When you have to get a 200.00 tax stamp to be legal in the states. In Canada you can add the longer stock and still be legal..

I bought a recent (Japan) 1892 Winchester Take Down in 45LC and it will not hold 10 rounds. I bought one in 38-40 and it has a longer barrel and magazine tube and will hold 10 rounds. Not sure where the 44-40 fits in.

Howdy,

I missed the UK ref as well.

Its hard nuff keeping track of our state fed local city county township laws.

I will happily leave overseas laws to them overseas pards.

Appoligize ifn I added to the confusion, which I probably have....

Best

CR

Archived