SASS Wire Forum

Hell on Wheels vs. Justified vs. Deadwood

J-BAR #18287

I watched the very first episode of Hell On Wheels when it debuted. Wasn't impressed. But posts on the wire and critic comments made me reconsider, so I am binging on the first three years of HOW this weekend (the Mrs. is out of town) and loving it!

Considering the fact that I have not yet seen season three, it appears that HOW ranks well with Justified and Deadwood.

Care to rank the three series, and why?

I rank Deadwood at the top and way out in front. Primarily because it was an epic production. It dealt with so many issues both personal, political and social. It was a masterpiece. That characters were great and the actinc, directing and production valuse were superb. It was pretty much a history of the west as lived by the denizens of a mining town.

Justified is a rousing tale of modern lawdagging. Great scripts and characters.

Hell on Wheels has had soe rough spots but overall very entertaining.

All of em beat most everything else on TV.

I really liked Justified. Great characters and stories.

Bought the complete Deadwood series. I quit it after 5 episodes. Just too raunchy. I can't take that much vulgarity. I need to offer it in the classifieds.

Never watched Deadwood.

Only watched the first season of "Deadwood", so don't feel qualified to judge it. The profanity never bothered me any, so I guess I ought to pick up the rest of the series and watch it sometime.

Of the other two, I would rank "Justified" head and shoulders above "Hell On Wheels", but I have enjoyed "HOW".

Hafta' throw Longmire in there too. It seemed a little slow to me at first, but it was like a rolling snow ball and it just kept on building. I reckon I'll hafta' get Netflix so's I can watch the current season!!

I really liked Justified. Great characters and stories.

Bought the complete Deadwood series. I quit it after 5 episodes. Just too raunchy. I can't take that much vulgarity. I need to offer it in the classifieds.

Never watched Deadwood.

I'll take it.

My list is the same as Rye's

Howdy,

Ive had one idea and that is to have Deadwood lite.

Deadwood with language taking out most of the swearing and

putting in other language.

I bet they would sell a LOT of the slightly modified text.

Best

CR

I rank Deadwood at the top and way out in front. Primarily because it was an epic production. It dealt with so many issues both personal, political and social. It was a masterpiece. That characters were great and the actinc, directing and production valuse were superb. It was pretty much a history of the west as lived by the denizens of a mining town.

===================================================

I'd have liked Deadwood more if it had more shootin' and less cuttin' and stabbin'.

I put Deadwood out in front as well, great show. Also like Hell on Wheels and continue to watch it through its 4th and final season. Watched the first season of Justified but never went back, not that it was bad, it just didn't grab me.

I agree with all of that. Justifed and Hell on Wheels aren't in the same league with Deadwood - especially not season 1 of Deadwood.

Hell on Wheels is pretty good, but I have complained that they want to bring some modern attitudes and issues into it. After episode 1, the most I have enjoyedc HOW was season 4, when Bohanon's former soldier, Sydney Snow shows up. The parts with him seemed like a more traditional western movie, to me - lynchings and gunfights and marshals and such.

Justified was pretty good, but I doubt I'd have watched it, if it hadn't been set in Kentucky.

Well I've finished the first three seasons of HOW. Season 4 won't hit the rental store for another week.

Bohannon withdrawal.

Dang.

Due to this thread, I ordered the first season DVDs of Justified from Nexflix. I watched the first three episodes. I didn't care for it and am sending the DVDs back.

I did notice that the Hero's hat band buckle switches sides. Sometimes on the right side of the hat, sometimes on the left...but mostly on the left...at least in the first three episodes.

Thes discussions are always interesting because appreciation of cinema, like all art, is very individual and subjective.

Like the OP the first couple episodes of HOW left me flat. It was well into the second season before I gave it another chance and caught up on what I'd missed.

Justified the premise didn't grab me and I didn't even check it out until it was a season or three into it, then binge watched and caught up and finished out the series pretty much as it came out.

Deadwood I had always heard that it was raunchy and vulgar and that put me off until well after the show had ended. Then in a bored moment I watched an episode which naturally led to binge watching the whole thing. Yes, it was raunchy and vulgar.

I liked them all. And there are things I didn't like about them all.

Rank them? All pretty equal in my mind though while I understand that Deadwood was portraying a rough and rowdy time, it was raunchier than I would chose to watch regularly, so it's slightly behind. Of course if they started the show back up I'd watch :D

Given that I prefer Westerns over just about any other genre.....

DEADWOOD is definitely first.....

Hell On Wheels is second and it gets better with every episode....

Justified is third only because it is modern day, but it is very close to Hell On Wheels otherwise. If ya like "Bullock" ya gotta like his character in Justified...

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

Deadwood. Have seen all three. Deadwood is the only one I've watched for a second time. I bought the book on the production and the actors in it. A great companion to the series. Watching it a second time I enjoyed it more. This winter I will watch the series again. "Sweargin-Woo, Hang Dai".

Archived