SASS Wire Forum

44 mag for hunting

Trigger Mike

my dad gave me his Rossi Lever in 44 mag once he got to old and sick to use it anymore and i took it out today after many years of non use. I shot it at a 100 yard metal target and the ping was real faint. At what range is the 44 not effective against deer size targets?

I have used a 44 mag. revolver sighted in at 100 yds. to kill deer at 125 yds. no problem using 240 gr JHP. handloads.

.44 mag with Hornady Leverevolution is the best bet for long range effectiveness. In a pistol, it has 1000 ft-lbs of energy at 100 yards; the rifle would likely be more like 1500 ft-lbs. A good hit in the chest or neck would likely bring a buck down as far as you could him, likely around 150 yards with an iron-site 92, with this cartridge.

Just remember -it's a pistol round. Even out of a rifle -it's a pistol round. Those slugs drop energy pretty quick. My personal limit is about 100 yards with a steadied pistol and 125 or so with iron sights on the rifle. My daughter hits pretty good to 150 with a 4X scope on her Marlin. We use the Hornady XTP, 240 grainers.

Caution: If you scope a levergun, don't post pictures! It seems to cause some Cowpokes to convulse uncontrollably...

I have used a 44 mag. revolver sighted in at 100 yds. to kill deer at 125 yds. no problem using 240 gr JHP. handloads.

I have used a S&W Model 29 at about 90-100 yards to kill one, as well. If it worked from a 8 3/8" barelled revolver, I imagine a rifle would work great.

Hornady hunting hand load 240gr HPXTP in a Thompson Contender 14" will do a magic touch out to 100-125 yards. Rifle, should be no problem out to 150.

Doesn't require a cannon to kill a deer. A 44 mag will kill a deer well out to 100 yards ethically. If you dom' mind flock shooting, you can go well beyond that and still kill them. For open sight rifles, back when I used to hunt, I'd limit myself to about 100 - 125 yards. With a scope and a 30-06, well that's a different story for a different thread.

Bottom line 100 yards = dead dear with a kill zone hit.

I was using full factory loaded lead semi wad cutters from PMC.

LEAD SWC's are probably not loaded nearly as hot as jacketed bullets (unless you want to change the barrel to a .41 cal. smoothbore the the riflings fill up with lead). Any decent full magnum load should have plenty of steam at 100 yards for sure. When I shot IHMSA the .44 was a favorite in revolver category. Will knock a 55 lb. ram off the rail at 200 meters. A carbine would have considerably more punch.

JHC

Howdy,

A while back I checked the pistol vs rifle energy and speed in some manuals.

Seems the 44 mag rifle at 200 yards has about the energy of a pistol at the muzzle.

You might want to check this out for yourself and it could vary from load to load.

At one time Ruger had a chart in their sales flyer.

It showed the .223, the 44 mag, the 3030 and the 762-39 had fairly equal energy.

How they use that energy is different.

And there is some Bill Ruger story about him hunting with the 44 carbine in Africa.

Probably get him protested these days.

This info may or may not be on the web.

The 44 mag is a very interesting round and if you were just handed one

please do a little research and dig in to what you have.

At one time the 44-40 or 44 WCF was very widely used.

The 44 mag is just that much more energy.

A lot of 44 WCF were converted to mag.

Best

CR

I have used this round for mule deer several times. Specifically our of a 7 1/2" Super Blackhawk and a 5 1/2" Redhawk. I use full loads, 240 gr soft points or Federal factory Hydra shocks in the 240 grain. Be selective about your shot placement, everything was killed within 50 yards with one shot. I am now going to try a .41 mag, 6 inch which shoots even flatter in 210 grain. Years ago I did the same thing with a .357 158 grain our of a 6 inch Blackhawk. It is effective, take your time and close the distance.

Archived