SASS Wire Forum

Drone Shot down!

Utah Bob #35998

The subject of the original post was arrested for discharging a firearm in the city limits in violation of city ordinances.

if you classify drones IAW this http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/07/31/wrestling-legend-roddy-piper-dead-at-61/then it is a violation of federal law to shoot down a drone.

However hobbiest aircraft are a gray area because until recently the FAA pretty much ignored them . in the not too distant past, it took skill to learn how to fly them and people with that level of dedication tended not to do stupid things with them.

However since the advent of craft that anyone capable of breathing can operate in combination with video cameras like the go-pro and social media; the FAA is working hard to bring all aircraft commonly referred to as drones under their per view. I allows them an additional reason for more funding.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The subject of the original post was arrested for discharging a firearm in the city limits in violation of city ordinances.

If you classify drones IAW this
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/32
then it is a violation of federal law to shoot down a drone.

However hobbiest aircraft are a little bit of a gray area because until recently the FAA pretty much ignored them . In the not too distant past, it took skill to learn how to fly them and people with that level of dedication tended not to do stupid things with them. Stupid people couldn't afford to stay in the hobby long enough to become much of a nuisance.

However since the advent of craft that anyone capable of breathing can operate in combination with video cameras like the go-pro and social media; their popularity has increased 1000 fold.

Because of their popularity and news worthyness; the FAA is working hard to bring all aircraft commonly referred to as drones under their perview. I allows them an additional reason for more funding.

How about using a bean bag 12 gauge?

How about a single use tied together 12 G small cast net? A new industry is born. A small cast net would take one down in a sec. No gun, no discharge a reloadable small cast net

thrower powered by a spring or same rubber bands as used in spearfishing.

No matter to me what law says what and/or is governed by who-ever or what-ever agency. It's still an invasion of privacy that I have a right to use what-ever means available to protect said property and belongings.

Lawyers don't much care for my attitude and way of seeing things.....takes control out of their hands.

About the only thing the shooter did wrong, was discharge a firearm in an area (city, subdivision, whatever) where there was that restriction. Correct me if I'm wrong.

With that, I live in an area where there is no law/restriction about discharging any sort of firearm from ones property/yard/garden/field whatever. Of course, if you hit the neighbors lifestock/house/truck/whatever, then there will be some serious explaining to do.

So, don't live where those laws are in place and shoot all the drones one desires.

In the agriculture industry drones are the next big thing. I have one much like the one in this story for crop scouting and field mapping. My drone has a 1.5 mile range and I often fly over several fields in one flight and going from one field to another I cross other people's property lines. I don't think that gives the property owner the right to start taking shots at me if that's the case the poor guy that does our crop dusting is in for a heck of a flight. That being said I typically fly at around 100'-200' when cruising from field to field if there is a house in my path and from that height you can't make out a lot of details about people. If I starred hovering over a house and descneed to 25' to get a close up I would fully expect to get shot down thought, heck I would do that myself.

I definitely think that some people are miss using their drones but my point is that not everyone with a drone is a creep looking to spy on people. There are some drones that are used for fertilizer analysis that cost upwards of $50,000 and I don't think you want to have to replace it because you jumped the proverbial gun and shot it down.

The Supreme Court has found the following:

The law, in balancing the public interest in using the airspace for air navigation against the landowner's rights, declared that a landowner controls use of the airspace above their property in connection with their uninterrupted use and enjoyment of the underlying land. In other words, a person's real property ownership includes a reasonable amount of the private airspace above the property in order to prevent nuisance. A landowner may make any legitimate use of their property that they want, even if it interferes with aircraft overflying the land. The FAA has further ruled that public airspace is defined to be 500 feet and up.

I'm not an attorney, so I may be wrong here, but it looks like the FAA is issuing rulings on this that aren't supported by any specific statute at this time. If you're flying over other peoples property at a height of 100-200 feet, you may be trespassing. You might also be subject to local nuisance ordinances.

Just because it's convenient for you from a business perspective doesn't obligate your neighbors to allow you over flight privileges.

Though shalt not violate my airspace.

dDLLOZ.jpg

Though shalt not violate my airspace.

dDLLOZ.jpg

Bob, If you'll send us the GPS coordinates of the "Lazy Bob" we'll try to stay away.

Bob, If you'll send us the GPS coordinates of the "Lazy Bob" we'll try to stay away.

You can get em from the NSA. ;)

Got to thunking again. This could start an air war between drones. Fly over my air space and I will

shoot you down with my armed drone.

I saw a video the other day of a drone armed with a Glock. :huh:

Wholly Crapolla!

What BMC said!!

Wholly Crapolla!

Yeah. Put's things in a whole new light don't it? :unsure:

A tuned up paint-ball gun would work well. ;)

OLG

I've got a Wrist Rocket slingshot and a jar full of ball bearings that I keep next to the back door for the cats that stalk our back yard bird feeders. It's pretty silent too.

I've got a Wrist Rocket slingshot and a jar full of ball bearings that I keep next to the back door for the cats that stalk our back yard bird feeders. It's pretty silent too.

Wouldn't even barely dent one a those big suckers.

Bofors with birdshot!

Archived