SASS Wire Forum

Drone Shot down!

Utah Bob #35998

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't blame the guy. If someone sends their drone into my backyard to hover and take video I'm willing to bet that some masked man will appear (not visibly emerging from my house) and the drone will go down in a cloud of number 8 shot.

I live outside the city limits and my house backs up to several miles of woods, so the safe discharge of firearms is legal.

I don't blame the guy. If someone sends their drone into my backyard to hover and take video I'm willing to bet that some masked man will appear (not visibly emerging from my house) and the drone will go down in a cloud of number 8 shot.

I live outside the city limits and my house backs up to several miles of woods, so the safe discharge of firearms is legal.

+1

People seem to think that because it's their toy that they have a right to intrude on another's privacy. I don't think he should have used #8 birdshot though, goose loads would be better.

I don't really understand why the landowner didn't have the drone operators arrested for trespassing. I hope he at least tried to. My instinct would have been to shoot it down, then call the cops myself. After reading this, I think I agree with the captain that a masked man might do the shooting. It'll be interesting to see exactly where our rights shake out here.

Who owns the airspace above your private property?

I heard or read that it extends to 500' for the owner. I live in the country so if it is within shotgun range it's toast.

p.s. He should have took the SIM card out of the drone.

The knot-heads fly'n the drone were pretty close. It's the same type of radio-controller used for RC aircraft. Pretty much line of sight for about 1/4 mile if no building or atmospheric interference.

They knew, just what they were doing and were using the camera as their eyes.

I would like to know how high it was at the point of shoot-down?

Can't say I would have NOT done the same thing at this point.

OLG

+1

People seem to think that because it's their toy that they have a right to intrude on another's privacy. I don't think he should have used #8 birdshot though, goose loads would be better.

I disagree!

Number 8 shot is much more efficient. Drones are relative small and a 12 Gauge 2 3/4 hull will hold a lot of

them. Not much chance of the drone getting through the pattern, unless you have a blown shot pattern. No, I'll

take # 8 shot please. Besides, I got a bunch in my magazine just for little clay birdies.

Think how long that drone hovered over that mans home if he had time to go into the house and get his shotgun. This was not just a simple flyover

Judging from the comments posted to the news article the drone owner would not get much sympathy from a jury. I'd like to give the homeowner a box of shotshells, myself.

I live in Kentucky and I would have shot the thing if it was hovering filming me in my back yard. Probably would have reacted the way the homeowner did if the thugs pulled up in my driveway too.

Would he have been arrested if he'd thrown stones at it? Where I live in the suburbs I cannot discharge a firearm so I would have thrown some rocks at it. Maybe a softball or baseball??? Is this what we're gonna have to put up with in this "new age"???? :angry:

Times have changed so much. Back in the day as a cop would have told the shooter to give me the saucer and then handed to the flyer and tell them, "guess ya won't do that again will you", "now if you do step onto his property, I'll just let him shoot you". Well ain't ya gonna arrest him, nope, get going or I'll have to arrest you. If you want to do something about it, sue him. Then off to the next silly call folks get themselves into. :lol: Yep, times sure have changed :(

Howdy,

Maybe check out one of Chief AJs slingshots or sling bows?

Not a firearm, might have no arrest in that basis.

Paintball? can they go full auto?

Best

CR

I've flown rc planes since I was a kid. We went to fields at flying clubs or at a friends that had a lot of acreage. Wouldn't have ever dreamed of flying even close to someone elses property. Accidents happen with rc planes all the time and if the rules are followed none gets hurt. AMA provides insurance for rc operators. Drones shouldn't be treated any differently. Add a camera and ow it gets personal. I would have shot it down also. The operators should have been charged with trespass. It will be interesting to see what comes of this. It happened north of me not to far so it shouldn't be hard to keep up

Unless I am the one flying it.

I will shoot down every single one that is in/over my property.

If it is low enough for me to get with a shotgun.

Then it is a dead drone.

Reminds me of an incident around here 15 or 20 years ago. A local lady ranch owner shot at a hot air balloon with a .22 because it was scaring here cows. Big fuss made over it, but she actually didn't go to jail.

I disagree!

Number 8 shot is much more efficient. Drones are relative small and a 12 Gauge 2 3/4 hull will hold a lot of

them. Not much chance of the drone getting through the pattern, unless you have a blown shot pattern. No, I'll

take # 8 shot please. Besides, I got a bunch in my magazine just for little clay birdies.

Yeah, but I was thinking more along the lines of penetration and damage dealt. Perhaps #7 or #6 would be a good alternative.

Unless I am the one flying it.

I will shoot down every single one that is in/over my property.

If it is low enough for me to get with a shotgun.

Then it is a dead drone.

plus 1,000 x infinity

I live in Kentucky and I would have shot the thing if it was hovering filming me in my back yard. Probably would have reacted the way the homeowner did if the thugs pulled up in my driveway too.

"Thugs?"

I'd suspect more like "nerds" or "geeks." :)

Think a carload of "Big Bang Theory" types pulling up... :lol:

Pretty sure that one story I read said that it was his twelve year old daughter who was outside and reported it to her father. Drone spying on a twelve year old girl in her own yard brings a whole 'nother level of creepy into the story.

"Cross my sidewalk and there's gonna be another shooting."

Aaaaaahahahaha.

Give the man another box of shells.

Yeah, but I was thinking more along the lines of penetration and damage dealt. Perhaps #7 or #6 would be a good alternative.

You could be correct, my thunk is to make as much plastic and carbon fiber fly as possible, and we are not talking

about hover here. A good 12 gauge can do that. :D

My paintball marker fires approximately 12 rounds per second once it gets going.

I have absolutely no problem with what he did, I just wonder what choke he used.

I know #7 will take down a kite. ;)

It must have been incredibly low for number 8 shot to knock it completely out of the sky. I woulda shot it. If this happens to me I hope I remember the mask ... cause I know I'm gonna shoot.

Archived