SASS Wire Forum

Do We Need to Address "Designer Jeans"?

Blackjack Zak

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If allowing shooters to wear designer jeans will get more folks out to the range and shooting I say get rid of the rule. They are blue and denim that's good enough.

In that case, allow shorts, T-shirts and flip-flops, You may get another person on the range.

As long as no one is wearing these....

In that case, allow shorts, T-shirts and flip-flops, You may get another person on the range.

I did say "blue and denim". I knew someone would take my statement out of context. Are you a member of the media? :)

I did say "blue and denim". I knew someone would take my statement out of context. Are you a member of the media? :)

I have several pairs of blue denim shorts; those be ok?

Howdy Assassin,

Studying for my future career of Media and Language Engineering. :)

Shorts and T-shirt could be blue and/or denim. :)

Just wondering how low is to low as far as dress code before you are willing to say enough is enough, and that is after the grace period for new shooters.

Edit, Tyrel beat me to it.

A knife + long pants = shorts.

Hmmm,, Daisy Duke comes to mind. :)

I've seen loungy (pajama looking)pants, sweat pants with cowboy boots, and some other strange attire recently and thought to myself

"wow", what do those shooters wear in a casual setting? The OP did mention designer jeans. Shorts, and flip flops are already covered in the rule book(s). We can go barefooted!

Iirc we have come to the understanding that wrangle, Levi and Lee jeans are accepted. I would assume that if the jeans look like them then no problem like the carhart and Duluth jeans not if they are the fancy not bwestern fancy but rodeo drive fancy especially on a guy I might have questions on a gal no problem so let's get rid of it and have the logo rule cover it.

Dangit! And I just got a pair of designer Wrangler Spandex bedazzled pants custom made with extra butt bling!

I could make a fortune if I could create some brain bleach for sale when you wore those.

Hi Folks,

I think jeans are a minor problem. Please stop the short-sleeve T shirts, ball caps, and white athletic shoes.

I hate thinking Outlawed in SASS has become as meaningless as Illegal is in regard to immigration.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I must admit, I would be somewhat taken aback if I saw someone wearing these at a match. I simply don't know how I would respond.

I see defining "designer jeans" as challenging, and perhaps a bit of a quagmire.

After discussing it with Mrs. Doc and my oldest daughter, as has been mentioned, we need to be careful not to alienate the female demographic. Many wear what would often be considered "designer jeans" by many simply because they are cut more to fit the female figure. IF the rule is kept, it should be amended to list specifics, such as minimal accoutrement or stitching only without rhinestones, etc... B-Western could also have specific amendments as necessary.

It's out dated Remove it

Just like the restrictions on use of Blackhawks. (Totally outdated). Yet we still refuse to let therm be used in some categories, "Because they Don't Look Cowboy"

Designer Jeans don't look Cowboy either, but it's OK to overlook that. :angry: What a joke.

Just like the restrictions on use of Blackhawks. (Totally outdated). Yet we still refuse to let therm be used in some categories, "Because they Don't Look Cowboy"

Designer Jeans don't look Cowboy either, but it's OK to overlook that. :angry: What a joke.

Please define what looks "Cowboy" to you as far as clothing goes. If you can't, then you've just found out what the problem is. Remember that we are talking about the RULES here. Calls have to be made based on the RULES.

Get rid of it.

Phantom

Lessee... I've been trying to convince my wife to come shoot with us. She's got boots, shirts, hat, (I've had guns waiting for her)... but all her jeans have a little bit of design and minor bling on a back pocket...... (boy howdy, she looks goooood in jeans!)

So, if one day she gave in and came with me to shoot, she wouldn't be allowed to?? Must be the "new" cowboy way.

It's not even advertising, it's some decoration, partly covered by the rig!! You'd lose two members that day.

Get rid of the rule?

1433804319847-P-2713092.jpg?2014102102

jeans-truereligion.jpg

570DQI5I1jean.jpg

j243.jpg

Yep, we NEED folks to dress in these so they comply with:

The truly unique aspect of Cowboy Action Shooting™ is the requirement placed on authentic

period or western screen dress. Each participant is required to adopt a shooting alias appropriate

to a character or profession of the late 19th century, or a Hollywood western star, and develop a

costume accordingly.

Keep the rule.

Well,

The only category that flashy/designer/ bling-bling jeans could fit is B-Western. Let the folks shooting B-Western declare their preferences.

If not being able to wear designer jeans deters a new participant then I doubt they were very serious about CAS. I dislike the phrases, "if it allows one more person" or "if it saves just one life".

I joined SASS in 2002 because it was "Cowboy Action Shooting" and a dream come true. I remember the shooting & the folks more than trinkets & trophys.

Many thanks to the Wild Bunch!

Hasta Luego, Keystone

I say remove the rule, it's not enforceable. Is anyone really gonna tell a shooter to go home because he/she has designer jeans?? I think not. Just my two cents!

Rye

This is the best answer. If a reasonable person would refuse to enforce the rule, the rule should not exist in the first place.

SASS needs to do everything possible to grow the sport. Playing fashion police (nitpicking about what label is on someone's jeans) is a good way to run people off.

I'm just glad that the ladies in our local club are there to SHOOT, not parade around in the latest fashions. Well, actually they do wear fashionable attire........ from the late 1800's!

So will SASS let the intent of the rules be slowly chipped away until anyone can show up as long as they have a few bucks to pay the entry fee? Is SASS getting that desperate for members?

Please define what looks "Cowboy" to you as far as clothing goes. If you can't, then you've just found out what the problem is. Remember that we are talking about the RULES here. Calls have to be made based on the RULES.

Get rid of it.

Phantom

+1000

This is the best answer. If a reasonable person would refuse to enforce the rule, the rule should not exist in the first place.

SASS needs to do everything possible to grow the sport. Playing fashion police (nitpicking about what label is on someone's jeans) is a good way to run people off.

OR......... it might just be the way to entice new members to join! At the very first match I visited, seeing everyone walking around in period clothing, spurs jingling, dual gun holsters and cowboy hats was a big part of the appeal to me. Had there just been a bunch of folks walking around in cut off blue jeans, bermuda shorts, tee shirts or tank tops and sandals, I doubt I would have been attracted to the "mystique" of Cowboy shooting.

Think about the changes you are wanting to make, today.... designer jeans, tomorrow.... ball caps optional!

Either write a clearly defined, enforceable rule or delete it. Yes, I agree in period dress. That's a big part of the game.

This just looks to me like another search for a problem that doesn't exist. Are other clubs seeing a glut of designer jean wearers? Or us this an isolated case that someone is making a bigger deal out of? I thought this kind of stuff only happened in the winter time.

So many rules aren't required when there's enough willing to police our own. I'm pretty certain that if I ever showed up to a match in designer jeans, my fellow pards would lay into me some serious ribbing. I'd probably rethink it next time. And I live in the Bay Area of California, designer jean central.

Well,

The only category that flashy/designer/ bling-bling jeans could fit is B-Western. Let the folks shooting B-Western declare their preferences.

This pretty much describes my feelings on the subject. B-Western is supposed to be fancy so jeans that have been blinged out fit in perfectly. Not so with the other categories. I sure don't envy the rules committee or match directors who have to make the call.

I believe that peer pressure is a better way to enforce outfit choices than having to explicitly spell it out in the rules. Let the local clubs determine what is appropriate attire for their matches.

That doesn't always work as intended. Might be fine for those who don't stray far from their home ranges.

Local clubs allow a LOT of equipment and practices that are NOT "SASS-approved"....this has a tendency to bite their club members in the tail when they go to other clubs to shoot or compete in matches above the local club level.

When I started I didn't have much other than a hat that was acceptable. My local club let me slide as I got my feet on the ground but also let me know that for the club annual I would need to comply with the rules. The TGs wife also made me a suitable shirt in my size (thanks Sweet Lil!) and makes all of my cowboy shirts now.

Archived