SASS Wire Forum

Would this be period correct?

Dorado

So, needless to say it's hot. Really hot. Like try to crack a fresh egg only to find it's already cooked kinda hot. Which has led me to look up different ways to try and stay cool while shooting. I have discovered Seersucker. I bought a seersucker suit on a whim ($30 so might as well) and I have found it to be surprisingly cool to wear. Light weight, breaths, and keeps the sun off of me. I haven't worn it much but I got to thinking. Perhaps it could be SASS legal to wear as a shooting suit.

Anybody know if a seeksucker suit would be within the rules?

If so, it could be a solution to wearing an appropriate costume or staying cool. Not to mention looking like a fine southern gentleman.

Sure! :)

Just get a boater to wear with it! ^_^

(That's the hat, in case anyone didn't know)

LR4569.jpg

So, needless to say it's hot. Really hot. Like try to crack a fresh egg only to find it's already cooked kinda hot. Which has led me to look up different ways to try and stay cool while shooting. I have discovered Seersucker. I bought a seersucker suit on a whim ($30 so might as well) and I have found it to be surprisingly cool to wear. Light weight, breaths, and keeps the sun off of me. I haven't worn it much but I got to thinking. Perhaps it could be SASS legal to wear as a shooting suit.

Anybody know if a seeksucker suit would be within the rules?

If so, it could be a solution to wearing an appropriate costume or staying cool. Not to mention looking like a fine southern gentleman.

Well the sucker part is right...Someone saw you coming...Maybe PT was right....

TL

From Wikipedia:
"

During the British colonial period, seersucker was a popular material in Britain's warm weather colonies like British India. When seersucker was first introduced in the United States, it was used for a broad array of clothing items. For suits, the material was considered a mainstay of the summer wardrobe of gentlemen, especially in the South, who favored the light fabric in the high heat and humidity of the summer, especially prior to the arrival of air conditioning.

In the days of the Old West, a type of heavyweight dark blue seersucker known as "hickory stripe" was used to make the overalls, work jackets and peaked caps of train engineers and railroad workers.[2] It was later worn by employees of the gasoline companies, most notably Standard Oil.[3] This cotton fabric was durable like denim,[4] cheap to produce, kept the wearer cool in the hot cab of the steam locomotive, and obscured oil or coal tar stains. Even today, the uniforms of American train drivers include "railroad stripe" caps based on those from the steam age, and some rolling stock used for freight, shunting and maintenance work is painted with blue and white "zebra stripes" to improve visibility.[5]

The fabric was originally worn by the poor in the U.S. until preppy undergraduate students began wearing it in the 1920s in an air of reverse snobbery.[6] Damon Runyon wrote that his new habit for wearing seersucker was "causing much confusion among my friends. They cannot decide whether I am broke or just setting a new vogue."

Seersucker is comfortable and easily washed and was the choice for the summer service uniforms of the first female United States Marines. The decision was made by Captain Anne A. Lentz, one of the first female officers selected to run the Marine Corps Women's Reserve during the Second World War "

The fabric is period correct. Just have a suit made.

Well, I got a seersucker suit. It was cheap $30, and I was going to use it to make a bit of a scene at a friend's garden party. His wife hates me cause I take him out to do fun things like fish or hunt or generally get him out of her sphere of control. Party got rained out so now I'm stuck with this suit I can't return. Need to use it somewhere, figured it might work at a shoot. Especially once I get where I can walk again.

It was in a John Wayne movie. You're good to go.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8f/Stefanie_Powers-Jerry_Van_Dyke_in_McLintock!.jpg

Not sure if that's a seersucker suit, but that guy was a sucker.

(FYI I had no idea that guy was Jerry Van Dyke!)

Sure! :)

Just get a boater to wear with it! ^_^

Find a shirt, maybe french cuffed, and the appropriate tie, and you're good to go! Not sure what to suggest about footwear though.

Come to think of it, it might be ideal for a banquet after the shoot.

Hi Dorado,

Yes, it is appropriate. Check here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seersucker

However, to look right you need a boater or derby hat and lace up brogan-type shoes. Like these.

brogan.jpeg or brogans-dan-j-435x500.jpg?3995

I bought a few band-collar seersucker shirts for Hubby at Eddie Bauer. He wore them out. The poofs in the fabric keep it away from your skin, making you feel cooler.

Happy costuming.

Depends on the cut whether or not it would be 19th century. Suit lapels and trousers were considerably different then.

Bottm line of course is there is NO way to stay cool in CAS in the summertime. But it shouldn't bother you .....you're young! Get ya some wool pants and a vest. :D :D

In the immortal words of R. Lee Ermey....VajYf4.jpg:D

Depends on the cut whether or not it would be 19th century. Suit lapels and trousers were considerably different then.

Bottm line of course is there is NO way to stay cool in CAS in the summertime. But it shouldn't bother you .....you're young! Get ya some wool pants and a vest. :D :D

In the immortal words of R. Lee Ermey....VajYf4.jpg:D

My woolies are at the cleaners right now. Getting them taken in from me losing weight 25lbs so far.

My woolies are at the cleaners right now. Getting them taken in from me losing weight 25lbs so far.

Outstanding! Congratulations on that!

Yeah, I put on a lot of weight being laid up for almost 2 years. I'm now down to where I was just before my accident, but I want to lose quite a bit more. I'm aiming for 185-190 given my body type that would be healthy and about as light as I can get without outside help.

Seersucker would be an appropriate period correct material for townies, especially those who have moved to the frontier from the East.

Brogans would be period correct footwear, as boat shoes weren't created until the 1930's.

A straw boater hat would be very appropriate, as it was a very popular style in the 1880's through the 1930's. An alternative for women would be a straw fedora ("panama hat", "Ecuadorian straw hat", etc...)

You'll want to wear a lightweight white shirt and a brightly colored bow tie to complete the outfit.

I have had a number of seersucker suits. I caution anyone thinking of buying one to consider that they can only be laundered a small number of times before the fabric starts to pucker. If you are fastidious about your appearance, you will not appreciate owning a seersucker suit.

Seersucker would be an appropriate period correct material for townies, especially those who have moved to the frontier from the East.

Brogans would be period correct footwear, as boat shoes weren't created until the 1930's.

A straw boater hat would be very appropriate, as it was a very popular style in the 1880's through the 1930's. An alternative for women would be a straw fedora ("panama hat", "Ecuadorian straw hat", etc...)

You'll want to wear a lightweight white shirt and a brightly colored bow tie to complete the outfit.

I have had a number of seersucker suits. I caution anyone thinking of buying one to consider that they can only be laundered a small number of times before the fabric starts to pucker. If you are fastidious about your appearance, you will not appreciate owning a seersucker suit.

wouldn't it be more period correct to not wash them :ph34r:

wouldn't it be more period correct to not wash them :ph34r:

Only if you were the town drunk.

It does have cuff buttons. It's a bit long for me and lined so I was going to take it in to get tailored, I may see about getting an additional button sewn on.

Archived