SASS Wire Forum

Concealed Carry

SouthwestShooter

When are the "people" who run the malls gonna finally understand the criminals do not honor the no firearms rule and all they do is make their property a soft target for every scumbag like the one today in Louisiana?

Somebody gotta do something.

I hope everyone injured sues the mall for not providing securityt/protection.

Maybe when they start to get hit in the pocketbook things will change.

The people running malls or any business must abide by the local government rules and laws.

The government is run by politicians.

The politicians seem to only want to protect politicians from the public and not the public from the crazies.

Politicians,can learn to care about Safety from criminals their safety...

Until they get hurt they are more than happy to let YOU suffer and die as long as it is just "Joe

Public"

Jabez Cowboy

Posted · Hidden by Doc Faraday, SASS #5749, July 25, 2015 - Bad personal comments
Hidden by Doc Faraday, SASS #5749, July 25, 2015 - Bad personal comments

When are the "people" who run the malls gonna finally understand the criminals do not honor the no firearms rule and all they do is make their property a soft target for every scumbag like the one today in Louisiana?

Somebody gotta do something.

I hope everyone injured sues the mall for not providing securityt/protection.

Maybe when they start to get hit in the pocketbook things will change.

YOU SIR, are part of the problem..... sue happy about anything. Take personal responsibility,,,, arm your self, and/or steer clear of places that prohibit you from protecting yourself.

Posted · Hidden by Doc Faraday, SASS #5749, July 25, 2015 - Bad personal comments

Dear Blastmaster, what in Gods green earth make you think I don't take responsibility and arm myself.

I am NEVER without a gun, AND I don't frequent places that will not let me protect myself.

Perhaps YOU should know someone better b4 you call them part of the problem.

You my friend, are a jerk.

Oh, by the way----kiss me in the rear

I have more than the basic CCW class and am still learning. One of the early rules in situational awareness is to not frequent places that concealed carry unless you have to do so. In a limited case, stay aware of people, exits and handy make-do weapons.

I feel sorry for those people shot the other night but likely none of them had any level of who was around them, nor the quickest exit nor where soemthing like a broom or dust pan that could be used as a weapon was.

Dear Blastmaster, what in Gods green earth make you think I don't take responsibility and arm myself.

I am NEVER without a gun, AND I don't frequent places that will not let me protect myself.

Perhaps YOU should know someone better b4 you call them part of the problem.

You my friend, are a jerk.

Oh, by the way----kiss me in the rear

It was your sue happy attitude statement. You told me that! So now I know YOU, for that part.

The other part was in generalality to all.

Try anger management.

I have more than the basic CCW class and am still learning. One of the early rules in situational awareness is to not frequent places that concealed carry unless you have to do so. In a limited case, stay aware of people, exits and handy make-do weapons.

I feel sorry for those people shot the other night but likely none of them had any level of who was around them, nor the quickest exit nor where soemthing like a broom or dust pan that could be used as a weapon was.

You can't be serious...... A broom or dust pan? Those people didn't have a chance. I understand about being aware of your surroundings. I work in New Orleans and while not the worst place to be, there has been a lot of murders lately. But sitting in a theater in a small town isn't one of those places. I live two hours from where that took place. I go there for work about once a month (heading there on Monday) I know it well. Local news has much more about it than you're seeing on CNN.

The young girl (21) and her boyfriend were sitting directly in front of this lunatic. She could have had a full auto AR15 sitting in her lap and it would have done nothing for her. He shot them both almost point blank with zero warning. Witnesses say they were likely the first to be shot, then he started shooting others. She died on the scene and her boyfriend was shot twice. Neck and armpit and is in the hospital.

All the training in the world would not have prevented that. After the first couple of shots rang out it was chaos. A school teacher who was shot in the leg protecting her friend pulled the fire alarm which warned others. That was about the only "being aware of your surroundings" that happened.

Prayers for all involved.

Dear Blastmaster; thank you for your Sage advice.

Since I teach both the CCW permit class AND an anger management class, I will be happy to use you expert advice.

Thank you for your time.

I'll let you know what my class thinks about being shot without warning and how that makes them the problem.

Bless you and keep your powder dry.

I agree with a lot that has been said. Awareness is an important aspect of daily life. It's too the point that anything could happen anywhere. Don't walk around with your head buried in an ipad or phone... If you are worried about exiting a mall or into a large parking lot, wait until others are leaving and exit with them. There isn't always safety in numbers, but sometimes it can be a deterent.

When approaching your parked car glance around it and also in the backseat before entering. I have taought my wife to lock the door of the car the instant she enters. Yes, I guess the word paranoid comes up, but I would prefer the word prepared.

I agree that in some circumstances that all the training in the world would not help, but if we are smart and avoid walking into a "bad" situation then your survival rate goes up. If you are going somewhere that you feel you need a CCW more than in anther area, you might want to rethink why you are putting yourself in that situation.

Just my too scents

KK

I carry most everywhere I go. I'm not saying I could have or would have been able to stop the theatre shooting, or any shooting, but it would be nice to have the option rather than just being a sitting duck. And yes, i avoid places that I think I might need a gun.

When I took my CCW class, an "old codger' taking the class asked if he could shoot a have guy stealing his lawnmower. By law, at night, yes. But I would not shoot anybody for stealing. the only way I would intervene is if I feared for life, and there was no other options.

I carry most everywhere I go. I'm not saying I could have or would have been able to stop the theatre shooting, or any shooting, but it would be nice to have the option rather than just being a sitting duck. And yes, i avoid places that I think I might need a gun.

When I took my CCW class, an "old codger' taking the class asked if he could shoot a have guy stealing his lawnmower. By law, at night, yes. But I would not shoot anybody for stealing. the only way I would intervene is if I feared for life, and there was no other options.

[/quote

I'm not sure where you received this info, but to shoot someone over property is a no, no....that's what insurance is for. You have to think about whether you or someone in your care has their life threatened....and further you can shoot to stop the threat and once it is stopped you stop as well. Don't shoot the individual in the back as he/she is running away. As a CCW do not make the mistake of thinking you are an LEO.

KK

I believe it was Jeff Cooper who once said, words to the effect of, that when faced with a bad situation, you need to fight back. Preferably with a gun, but with your bare hands if necessary.

I remember the bare hands part quite vividly, as it surprised me.

Still, having to rely on just your hands is not the best of ideas...

I carry most everywhere I go. I'm not saying I could have or would have been able to stop the theatre shooting, or any shooting, but it would be nice to have the option rather than just being a sitting duck. And yes, i avoid places that I think I might need a gun. When I took my CCW class, an "old codger' taking the class asked if he could shoot a have guy stealing his lawnmower. By law, at night, yes. But I would not shoot anybody for stealing. the only way I would intervene is if I feared for life, and there was no other options.[/quoteI'm not sure where you received this info, but to shoot someone over property is a no, no....that's what insurance is for. You have to think about whether you or someone in your care has their life threatened....and further you can shoot to stop the threat and once it is stopped you stop as well. Don't shoot the individual in the back as he/she is running away. As a CCW do not make the mistake of thinking you are an LEO.KK

Even a LEO doesn't have the right to shoot someone over a lawnmower. Karl, I know that's NOT what you meant or are saying in anyway so please know I'm not putting words in your mouth. What I'm saying is I agree with you in that some CCW holders do think they are even with a police officer.

You have the right to defend yourself or others if your or their life is in imminent danger. If the threat isn't there you had better stand down.

I'm not sure where you received this info, but to shoot someone over property is a no, no....that's what insurance is for. You have to think about whether you or someone in your care has their life threatened....and further you can shoot to stop the threat and once it is stopped you stop as well. Don't shoot the individual in the back as he/she is running away. As a CCW do not make the mistake of thinking you are an LEO.

KK

From the Texas Penal Code:

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.

So it looks like, in some jurisdictions and under certain limited circumstances, use of deadly force is allowed in defense of property.

Now, ask yourself if you could calmly and rationally assess all of those factors while the events are occurring. I couldn't, I don't think.

Take my car...please.

LL

................But officer, he lunged at me swinging my lawnmower at me, I thought I was a goner for sure, I just sharpened the blade two weeks earlier! :)

I believe that if I heard a noise downstairs and some low life just started my car in my garage and it's obvious that he intends to take it for a drive, I think I might be ready to defend myself if he were to decide to shoot me to do away with any eye witnesses and it wouldn't take much to imagine a weapon in his hands.

You just have to remember: Did I do what a reasonable person would have done in this situation and will 12 people believe it????

Back to the movie theater. For years (long before the idiot in Colorado shot up the theater), I have sat in the back row the 1 or 2 times a year I go to see a movie on the big screen.

I started doing it because I don't like someone behind me talking or kicking the back of my seat every time they move. Now, I do it because it is the safest place to sit - nobody behind me. I'm still surprised when I go to a theater and realize the back row is almost empty. Seems as if it should be the row that fills up first.

GS

Howdy,

Local business has a little green sign with a circle and a gun inside the circle

and NO slash across.

Seems like a welcome for CC.

Never saw one before.

Best

CR

[/quote

KK

KK,

in Texas, at night, you can use deadly force to protect property. I'm not saying I would, but the law does allow it. I dont ever see myself shooting somebody for stealing anything from me. I would have to feel threatened, with no other options.

By the way, the at night provision is Biblical, see EX 22:2.

Many yeas ago in a CHL class, our instructor told us that even though you may have the right to use "Deadly Force" to protect your personal property, you might want to consider the emotional and financial burdens you are opening yourself up to. He said that even if you are "No Billed" it will probably cost you $50,000.00 in legal fees before it's over and done with. And that was a long time ago, so you can bet the cost of legal representation has not gotten cheeper. And, that does not include any Civil Actions that could be filed against you by the criminals family. Not to mention having to live with yourself. IMNSHO, property is one thing, family, friends, and of course myself, is another. The fact is, you are going to have to make a split second decision, and it's one that will change your life. No matter what the outcome.

Pray I, or any of you, never have to make the decision.

Many yeas ago in a CHL class, our instructor told us that even though you may have the right to use "Deadly Force" to protect your personal property, you might want to consider the emotional and financial burdens you are opening yourself up to. He said that even if you are "No Billed" it will probably cost you $50,000.00 in legal fees before it's over and done with. And that was a long time ago, so you can bet the cost of legal representation has not gotten cheeper. And, that does not include any Civil Actions that could be filed against you by the criminals family. Not to mention having to live with yourself. IMNSHO, property is one thing, family, friends, and of course myself, is another. The fact is, you are going to have to make a split second decision, and it's one that will change your life. No matter what the outcome.

Pray I, or any of you, never have to make the decision.

++100

Not to mention all the harassment from criminals family and now they even have your address

Our CCW instructor was a retired LEO and he told us to always shoot center mass. Even if you should happen to "only" wound your assailant, never tell anyone you only shot to wound. That would indicate you were not in fear of your life and therefore in violation of the law.

Our CCW instructor was a retired LEO and he told us to always shoot center mass. Even if you should happen to "only" wound your assailant, never tell anyone you only shot to wound. That would indicate you were not in fear of your life and therefore in violation of the law.

Shooting center mass is typical of how a LEO or anyone is trained to shoot defensively. More to hit and less to miss plus vital organs. I'm not sure what you say would make any difference. The key is to shoot to stop the threat. That's all you need to do or say.

Its all about lessoning the chance of IF it goes to trial that you don't look like a vigilante. The guy that taught us was also a LEO and firearms instructor for the police. He went as far as don't use reloads and don't buy ammo that's says stupid things like "Zombie killer". when the police take your gun (and they will if the perp dies) they will go over it with a fine tooth comb. The attorney the bad guy gets or his family will absolutely use your choice of zombie killer ammo against you. That may sound goofy.... but the fact that I've been working with attorneys for almost 20 years I have heard a lot of goofy things being used against people.

I suppose if its a total clean shoot, it most likely wont go that far.

I was taught to shoot center mass. You shoot to gain control of the situation. You never state that you shot to kill that SOB, no matter what.

BS

As discussed by many, shoot until the threat is stopped. Know the state and local laws as they apply...ie: castle law,etc.,

Be smart, aware and prepared. If an incident arises, it most likely will be over in a matter of seconds.

KK

My CCW instructor also told us if you draw your gun you should use it. Not sure I agree with that, but I understood that what he was saying is that if you are not in fear of your life don't draw your gun.

My CCW instructor also told us if you draw your gun you should use it. Not sure I agree with that, but I understood that what he was saying is that if you are not in fear of your life don't draw your gun.

Hi Hoss,

I recently took a Tactical Firearms class. Our instructor drilled us on two shots to center mass and one to the head. He did say that a shot to mass may not stop some people.

Regards,

Allie

You can't be serious...... A broom or dust pan? Those people didn't have a chance. I understand about being aware of your surroundings. I work in New Orleans and while not the worst place to be, there has been a lot of murders lately. But sitting in a theater in a small town isn't one of those places. I live two hours from where that took place. I go there for work about once a month (heading there on Monday) I know it well. Local news has much more about it than you're seeing on CNN.

The young girl (21) and her boyfriend were sitting directly in front of this lunatic. She could have had a full auto AR15 sitting in her lap and it would have done nothing for her. He shot them both almost point blank with zero warning. Witnesses say they were likely the first to be shot, then he started shooting others. She died on the scene and her boyfriend was shot twice. Neck and armpit and is in the hospital.

All the training in the world would not have prevented that. After the first couple of shots rang out it was chaos. A school teacher who was shot in the leg protecting her friend pulled the fire alarm which warned others. That was about the only "being aware of your surroundings" that happened.

Prayers for all involved.

You always have a chance, if you are prepared and willing to act. Ask the woman in Charleston, WV who was attacked by a serial killer with a gun, just last week. She grabbed a rake and ended up taking away his gun and killing him. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/woman-killed-alleged-serial-killer-neal-falls-recounts-final-fight/

It would have been a lot easier if she had her own gun, but a gun is just a tool. People with guns have lost plenty of fights to people with rocks and sticks and pocket knives and to people with no weapons at all.

Glenbrook Mall in Fort Wayne is privately owned. Low on the door is a small sign that guns are not welcome. My son's 9mm printed on his back and was seen by the mall cop. He was asked to leave. He left and made a choice to spend his $$$ somewhere else. I do the same.

I have taught my girls that all personal protection starts with situational awareness. On a bike, driving, shopping, whatever. You do what you can to recognize and avoid an issue.

By the way, KK teaches this stuff. And does it well. Listen to his words. We do.

Mark

I was taught to shoot center mass. You shoot to gain control of the situation. You never state that you shot to kill that SOB, no matter what.

BS

Yep. Officer I shot until he was no longer a threat.

As discussed by many, shoot until the threat is stopped. Know the state and local laws as they apply...ie: castle law,etc.,

Be smart, aware and prepared. If an incident arises, it most likely will be over in a matter of seconds.

KK

+1000. Get inside his OODA and stay there.

Some may be wondering what OODA means: observe, orient, decide, and act....

Archived