SASS Wire Forum

GEBIRGSFLUGZEUGABWEHRKANONE

Subdeacon Joe

I'd hate to haul one up a birg that's for sure. ;)

The German language is notorious for stringing together words or word cells into longer words. Here it is broken down.

Gebirg: mountains

Flugzeug: airplanes

Abwehr: protection

Kanone: cannon

Loosely translated: an anti-aircraft cannon that is somehow supposed to be used in the mountains.

The German language is notorious for stringing together words or word cells into longer words. Here it is broken down.

Gebirg: mountains

Flugzeug: airplanes

Abwehr: protection

Kanone: cannon

Loosely translated: an anti-aircraft cannon that is somehow supposed to be used in the mountains.

Yep. I love German nouns. Take a short description of something, remove the spaces, shove the words together to make new word.

It's a (relatively) lightweight 88 for use by mountain and airborne troops. Originalyy intended for AAA, the 88 was very effective against other targets. I wouldn't want one shooting down at my Sherman from the high ground.

Its an anti aircraft canon, but doubt its 88, 88 had piston recoil cylinders, under or over barrels. Otherwise, once fired, probable kill the crew as it flew backwards. Probable a 20MM, or maybe even a 37MM. It just says that test show it was effective in so many words. MT

The one that always got me, which IIRC Wernher von Braun used, which really wasn't German, was the pseudo-German for a nuke or thermalnuke: das eargeschplitenloudenboomer = nuke das eargeschplitenloudenboomer mit donner und blitzen = H-bomb For the 100 megaton Soviet bomb: das eargeschplitenloudenboomer mit donner und blitzen und alles kaput! :o:o:o

Its an anti aircraft canon, but doubt its 88, 88 had piston recoil cylinders, under or over barrels. Otherwise, once fired, probable kill the crew as it flew backwards. Probable a 20MM, or maybe even a 37MM. It just says that test show it was effective in so many words. MT

Yeah. Too klein. Maybe a 37 upon a closer look.

440px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1970-033-04,

Flak 38. This from Wikipedia:

In order to provide airborne and mountain troops with AA capabilities, Mauser was contracted to produce a lighter version of the Flak 38, which they introduced as the 2 cm Gebirgsflak 38 (2 cm GebFlak 38). It featured a dramatically simplified mount using a tripod that raised the entire gun off the ground, which had the side benefit of allowing it to be set up on uneven surface. These changes reduced the overall weight of the gun to a mere 276.0 kg. Production started in 1941 and entered service in 1942.

20mm. Teutonic mystery solved.

FlaK 8,8: Here wright all 88. Is not correct.

In german is the name Acht-Acht, not achtundachzig.( eight-eight, not eighty eight).

In the Wehrmacht the big Canons reffered the Caliber in cm, not in mm.

(8,8 - 10,5 - 12,5, same by Warships: 38cm, not 380 mm)

Revolvgang

Euer Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitänsstellvertreter

In german is the name Acht-Acht, not achtundachzig.( eight-eight, not eighty eight).

Revolvgang

Thanks, Your right and I should know better, but fall into the same trap. 88, rather then 8.8, etc. MT

Revolvgang

Thanks. I did not know that. I'll have to try to remember that in the future.

Now, if you don't mind, could you translate "Euer Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitänsstellvertreter" to English for me?

Angus

I think it translates like Danube Steamship company Captain deputy Society or close to that. I will have to ask my son who served with the German Army for four years.

STL Suomi

Now, if you don't mind, could you translate "Euer Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitänsstellvertreter" to English for me?

Angus

Not sure but I believe I saw it on the menu of a little gasthaus way south in Bavaria back in '67. It was right above the Hasenpfeffer.

I could be wrong.

I was pretty drunk.

Thanks. I did not know that. I'll have to try to remember that in the future.

Angus

The Google Translation:

https://translate.google.com/?hl=en&tab=wT#de/en/Euer%20Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitänsstellvertreter

"Your Danube Steamship Company Captain deputy"

Archived