SASS Wire Forum

.45 Cowboy Special Brass

Hard Cash

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, I never had much success with the grits but have used backer rod, though I do consider it painfully slow also. I tried several brands of grits and all I could find were so powdery that they would tend to bog my powder feeds and presses down by the time I loaded about 100 rnds or so and it was compressed/caked at all the tight little spaces making clean-up very time consuming and this frequently meant two per reloading session(just one match). I actually remember coming up with the idea of sifting the problem fine stuff out one time BUT by the time I was finished, my face had a white sheen while there was barely enough real grits left for two rounds! :blink: I even bought one of the little LEE powder measures and mounted it behind the primary one on the big machine in hopes that the elastomer (fancy word fer plastic) surfaces/wipers might work better with grits BUT that powder is so fine that nothing can keep it from making its own way. By the time I quit shooting I was reduced to reloading bp the way I started out fifty years ago, virtually as single stage. The last time I took the rifle out to shoot I did load BP with backer rod in my 45 Colt size cases but but I suspect that not only is it time consuming but it probably actually costs more than that extra powder to fill the case would? In a world created from minute debris, its hard to believe that none of it is a perfect filler for this! :unsure:

Guys, I never had much success with the grits but have used backer rod, though I do consider it painfully slow also. I tried several brands of grits and all I could find were so powdery that they would tend to bog my powder feeds and presses down by the time I loaded about 100 rnds or so and it was compressed/caked at all the tight little spaces making clean-up very time consuming and this frequently meant two per reloading session(just one match). I actually remember coming up with the idea of sifting the problem fine stuff out one time BUT by the time I was finished, my face had a white sheen while there was barely enough real grits left for two rounds! :blink: I even bought one of the little LEE powder measures and mounted it behind the primary one on the big machine in hopes that the elastomer (fancy word fer plastic) surfaces/wipers might work better with grits BUT that powder is so fine that nothing can keep it from making its own way. By the time I quit shooting I was reduced to reloading bp the way I started out fifty years ago, virtually as single stage. The last time I took the rifle out to shoot I did load BP with backer rod in my 45 Colt size cases but but I suspect that not only is it time consuming but it probably actually costs more than that extra powder to fill the case would? In a world created from minute debris, its hard to believe that none of it is a perfect filler for this! :unsure:

Try some fine ground walnut shell from the pet store (lizard litter). I've been using it for years and it works well. Some folks also use ground charcoal.

CR

Try some fine ground walnut shell from the pet store (lizard litter). I've been using it for years and it works well. Some folks also use ground charcoal.

CR

Look for "Desert Blend", it's the finest I've seen.

Fine grain activated charcoal for me. Crunches just like BP. Made of same stuff as the major component in BP. Just does not have any oxidizer in it, so it can't contribute to the power level.

Never sets hard with age. Never gets weevils. Meters just like BP. Even has the fines filtered out. It IS a perfect filler for BP loads.

Good luck, GJ

A while ago, I bought a bunch of finely ground corncob from Powder Inc.

Been using it ever since, when I need a filler.

--Dawg

Thanks guys, Ill try these out, any idea on where to find the fine grain activated charcoal GJ, pool supply???

You can check at the pool supply store, they might have some.

Here's a pricey on-line source, but very reliable:

http://www.buyactivatedcharcoal.com/product/granular_activated_charcoal/coconut/20x50_mesh

This size meters well for a Lee Perfect auto-measure mounted on a Dillon 550 in station 3.

Good luck, GJ

You can check at the pool supply store, they might have some.

Here's a pricey on-line source, but very reliable:

http://www.buyactivatedcharcoal.com/product/granular_activated_charcoal/coconut/20x50_mesh

This size meters well for a Lee Perfect auto-measure mounted on a Dillon 550 in station 3.

Good luck, GJ

I should point out, if you use this stuff as a filler, it negates the self lubricating that APP does, and will lead the mess out of your barrel if you try to use it over APP, and do not lube your bullets. Tried it and speak from experience. If you are going to use Granular Activated Charcoal, stick with traditional lubed BP bullets and real black powder.

BD

I should point out, if you use this stuff as a filler, it negates the self lubricating that APP does, and will lead the mess out of your barrel if you try to use it over APP, and do not lube your bullets. Tried it and speak from experience. If you are going to use Granular Activated Charcoal, stick with traditional lubed BP bullets and real black powder.

BD

Well, yep, but then, I wouldn't dream of using a filler of any sort with APP.

The recommendation I made was EXCLUSIVELY as a filler for BP, as was written back in post 217.

Good luck, GJ

The only thing I will use 777 in is the shotgun and only there because my plastic wad loads need the extra ooomph. The lizard stuff sounds interesting if it will meter clean and is not abrasive. I would like to see if I can eventually transition back to all bp again if a sonic cleaner deal works out.

I just went out and drooled on the 2,000 pieces of new, unfired C45S cases still in their bags... just because,

I read this thread... :ph34r: :ph34r: And just couldn't help myself from smilin' while I sat and reloaded a coffee can (3 lber) of empty fired brass because I might go to a cowboy match... and might wanna shoot 'em. If not, I wonder how these little 160s at ~700fps will be on zombies?

Eat yer hearts out! Yep, I'm a hoarder! Seldom does a plan come together for me.

• 3 months later...

Before his passing, Adirondack Jack and I had an internet friendship. I bought a couple thousand pieces of his brass and still have it. I love shooting C45Spl black powder ammo in my 1860 open tops with Kirst Konverter cylinders. This ammo/gun rig has become my favorite. I wish they were Ruger tough.

I had an opportunity to buy the C45Spl business and passed up on it because I have plenty on my hands with the Big Lube®LLC mold business. That said, yes, there would be enough customer support to make the brass business viable as a stand alone. I'm thinkn' that a 'similar' design with a different head stamp would avoid patent questions. Name it something like 46 Colt Special.

That would still leave you with a 50k minimum order from Star Line. It's the front end risk that puts most would be dealers off. But, if you build it, I'll buy some. . .

DD-MDA

Archived