SASS Wire Forum

.45 Cowboy Special Brass

Hard Cash

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to a light roll crimp because I'm noticing I'm getting a feeding glitch in my Marlin 1894 C45S conversion. I've video taped the action feeding rounds in (I can watch it in very slow motion) and the occasional glitch looks like the 45 ACP style case mouth is catching on the top edge of the chamber. The roll crimp die is set to just push the case in enough to eliminate the edge on the case mouth. I haven't been out to test the change.

THX.

I do think it would be a fun little BP round.

OLG

Yep it is. I don't use any crimp on mine as I only use them in my revolvers.

I shoot 44 Russians and they are great, but if I had to go through the trouble of making them from 44 mags, I believe I'd rather spend my time biting my toe nails.

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing marketing.

The majority of SASS shooters are reloaders, right?

Maybe sell someone 100-200 rnds of loaded ammo by going thru a very limited # of distributors with shipping & tax rather than sell brass in 1,000 pc lots.

Even if they doubled the price of Starline .45 Colt price ($183.33 / 1,000), they would only be a little more than Winchester.

(still a lot less than .41 Long Colt at $533.50 / 1,000)

Amazing marketing.

The majority of SASS shooters are reloaders, right?

Maybe sell someone 100-200 rnds of loaded ammo by going thru a very limited # of distributors with shipping & tax rather than sell brass in 1,000 pc lots.

Even if they doubled the price of Starline .45 Colt price ($183.33 / 1,000), they would only be a little more than Winchester.

(still a lot less than .41 Long Colt at $533.50 / 1,000)

I'd say it would be a safe bet that 100% of C45S shooters are reloaders.

I'd say it would be a safe bet that 100% of C45S shooters are reloaders.

And that's not likely to change much with the sale of loaded C45S ammo.

I'm going to a light roll crimp because I'm noticing I'm getting a feeding glitch in my Marlin 1894 C45S conversion. I've video taped the action feeding rounds in (I can watch it in very slow motion) and the occasional glitch looks like the 45 ACP style case mouth is catching on the top edge of the chamber. The roll crimp die is set to just push the case in enough to eliminate the edge on the case mouth. I haven't been out to test the change.

Yep, I went to a roll crimp in my Marlin C45S conversion and have had no issues.

• 3 weeks later...

I still don't see the C45S on the Cimarron website. Anybody have any new news on the availability of C45S brass?

I got this email reply from them on August 27th:

Thank you for your inquiry about American Cowboy Ammo, I apologize for the delay in getting back to you.

The .45 Special is now available and the dealer listed below will have product to ship in about 10 days, please check their website then for pricing, etc.

At this time we are not offering just empty cases.

Centerfire Systems

Versailles, KY

www.centerfiresystems.com

800 950 1231

Regards,

Marvin Ray

I went to the Centerfire website but didn't see them listed.

I've not been able to find a listing there either. My email to Center fire Systems on 30 August asking when they were going to have the loaded 45cs in stock has thus far not been answered.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Go about 3 pages down in the Ammo section.

Go about 3 pages down in the Ammo section.

I must be missing it. The only ammo I find by that company is 45 Long Colt, whatever that is. ;)

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AM0129.aspx

The only ammo I find by that company is 45 Long Colt, whatever that is. ;)

Arrrr---haaaaaharrrrr! :lol:

Good luck, GJ

Am I the only one who might think that this new supplier is using its 'sole rights' to have a monopoly on this brass and appears to be manipulating a market to justify an outrageous price for a future 'brass only' sale?

..........Widder

Am I the only one who might think that this new supplier is using its 'sole rights' to have a monopoly on this brass and appears to be manipulating a market to justify an outrageous price for a future 'brass only' sale?

..........Widder

I wouldn't be surprised

Perhaps so very naive on the pricing of something like this, that they want to test the waters to see what loaded ammo can sell for, before setting an empty brass price?

I'm not going to beat up a vendor for making a healthy profit to keep C45Spl brass coming thru from Starline. But, if and when the price gets set way higher than similar brass or ammo that has a similar market, I sure WOULD get concerned.

But as of now, all this appears to be more talk than delivery, by a long margin.

Good luck, GJ

It does seem kind of strange that they have taken this marketing approach.

Don't satisfy a pent-up demand on a product that can simply pass from manufacture thru their hands to customers.

Make factory ammo that will only be bought in small quantities due to price.

Leave a lot of pent-up demand unsatisfied that either does without or makes their our or a reasonable facsimile.

(rather than have a pard say "hey, you really ought to order 1,000 of these" it's "you might want to by 2 boxes to reload the snot out of or see if you or pard B can whip-up enough to play with.")

Next is the "catch-22" of if they make the ammo & then start selling the brass, chances are they will be sitting on the ammo for a long time.

Best of luck to them in any case as it is a great idea/round.

I don't know the numbers nor would I even say a majority, but its a guess of mine that there will be some Cowboy reloaders who will trim .45 Colt brass before buying the loaded C45S ammo UNLESS the price justifies it.

And in those situations where .45 Colt brass has been cut and used instead of the C45S brass, this new owner of the C45S headstamp will lose sales. And will the loss of those sales justify their projected earnings on the loaded fodder?

Just thinking outloud... ;)

..........Widder

There alternatives.

If you want C45S brass and none is available, make it by cutting down 45 Colt brass.

If C45S brass is only available in loaded ammo and you don't want to pay the price, make them by cutting down 45 Colt brass.

If C45S brass comes back on the market but is priced at a point where you can buy 45 Colt brass and spend the time cutting them down, then back to making your own.

The only way factory made C45S brass is cost effective is when it's priced at just where you wouldn't fool with cutting down 45 Colt brass.

(Like Widder said while I was typing. ) BTY, Ain't you suppose to be working on a deck?

That particular deck is finished. The other, bigger deck, will be next spring cause I ain't gonna work on more decks this year. Besides, I still got painting and carpentry work to be done in the house.

There's no rest for the weary until the Bunkhouse Boss is happy!

..........Widder

You are correct. I mis-read. No C45S there.

I bought enough thinking they would last me for quite some time. Intended use was for a WB rifle round. But, with the demise of readily available C45S brass, I've regulated them to cowboy rounds out of the Colt SAAs.

All I can say is "I'm glad I bought 500 pieces of brass when I did". They'll last forever using BP in a pair of 3rd Gen Colts. I'll continue using the 44-40s in the rifles.

Archived