SASS Wire Forum

Long range rifle shooting sticks

Johnny Dollar

Is there any ruling on shooting sticks specifically on how they are made? I can't find anything in the rule book on that.

I'm going to make a pair out of oak with slots up the center with some sort of a binding screw for adjustment. I just don't want to make something only to be told I can't use it during a match.

I suppose I'm asking because I've seen online vendors that sell them and say they are SASS legal. That either tells me there is a SASS illegal type or it's a sales gimmick. :)

Thanks!

-JD

Use of shooting sticks is at the discretion of the match director.

While every long range side match is different as a general rule of thumb shooting sticks should be NRA BPCR match legal.

NRA for Black Powder Shooting...

Crossed Sticks: Crossed sticks constructed of two wooden legs, no greater than 1 inch by 2 inches in thickness and width or 1-1/2 inches in diameter, and bolted or tied so that the two legs are hinged and capable of pivoting. The end of the legs may be equipped with spikes no more than 3 inches in length and no wider than the edge of the crossed stick. They may be inserted into the ground by hand pressure only to aid in retention of an upright position. This may be waived by the Match Director to fit local conditions. One layer of protective material may be suspended or inserted in the “V” of the crossed sticks to protect the rifle. All cross sticks will be certified.

One thing it does not is how long...Which is good for me...

TL

Howdy,

Consider picking up some broken hockey sticks.

A drill some screws, and a little leather can make fair sticks.

Paint as you like.

Just a thought.

Best

CR

At most of the SASS long range matches I have attended the majority of the shooting sticks do NOT meet the NRA requirements. My personal ones do, but not the majority. As mentioned before it is totally up to the MD what they will allow. I have never heard of one's sticks being declared "illegal" although I think some certainly should be.

Howdy Happy Jack,

I would love to see those illegal sticks.

Do you have any pix you could post or send?

Just darn interested.

Best

CR

Too bad you live so far away. I have a pair made from Hickory sledge-hammer handles , used them when I used to shoot BPCR Silhouette. They have an almost 3-inch spike on the end , a series of holes drilled through with a bolt and wing-nut for adjusting height. Used them at several NRA matches , they are legal. I do not see me ever needing them again.

But , shipping them would be a challenge. They are 34" long. Might cost as much to ship as they are worth.

Good luck , and good shooting. Rex :D

I don't do pictures, but most of the illegal ones I see are much larger in size (some even 2X4's) and many have spikes 5 or 6" long. some double spikes. They often use a hand sledge to drive them in the ground. Some have clamps for the gun and multiple layers of padding. I have even seen giant versions of bench sticks that were spiked to the ground. Now if the local MD allows it, fine with me, but it does disadvantage those shooting off NRA legal sticks. I just don't think most MD's care about the support system used. They are happy just to get some shooters. I allow some non-NRA legal sticks at my matches just to keep up participation. Since SASS has NO guidelines anything is legal. Some just look a bit too far from the intent for me. Someone is always willing to loan sticks at every long range match I have ever attended.

Too bad you live so far away. I have a pair made from Hickory sledge-hammer handles , used them when I used to shoot BPCR Silhouette. They have an almost 3-inch spike on the end , a series of holes drilled through with a bolt and wing-nut for adjusting height. Used them at several NRA matches , they are legal. I do not see me ever needing them again.

But , shipping them would be a challenge. They are 34" long. Might cost as much to ship as they are worth.

Good luck , and good shooting. Rex :D

Rex, thank you for the offer. Very much appreciated! I was looking some axe handles and was wondering how they would work. After looking at some BPCR type sticks, I'm going to build a pair out of oak like what I've seen. When I'm done, I'll post a photo here.

Thanks again!

-JD

SASS has no rules for stick. And we don't need any.

Archived