SASS Wire Forum

Shooting cbc marlin over my 73

MBFields

Traded my near new uberti competition for a marlin cbc cause always wanted one and could not shoot uberti well. Have a turnbull/navy arms mwin 73 that is main match rifle until started shooting marlin. Want to shoot 73 as like them a lot but found that I can shoot marlin faster and smoother. The 73 action is more up and down and I tend to have barrel move around more. The marlin action is back and forth and can stay on target better and be smoother ie, faster times. Duece you better watch out ;):D:D . Marlin is also a bit shorter and lighter which I think helps a lot. I am liking a lot smoother and faster but also miss shooting a win 73. Never thought would switch to marlin but seems that is what has happened. May try a taylor trapper with 18" barrel to see how that works but like the marlin. Once in while in a match will have issue with bullet feed where will not load into chamber very random so not sure what issue is . Also do not like how hard is to load magazine tube. Searched for answers on that and will try some of them. Feel like lost an old friend but found a new one. :)

Could be considered a traitor in some areas GW

I wasn't even this forward on the 73 and got a rope around my neck. Good luck with the Marlin, great machine. I'll stay out of this one :lol::lol:

Your feeding problem is more than likely due to the overall cartridge length you are using. Marlins are finicky about this. I shoot one all the time and use a OAL just short of 357 max length, which is 1.590. I use 1.580 to 1.585.

I use a 158 grn FNTC bullet set out long in a 38 spl case, crimped in at the top of the grease groove. Leaves no exposed grease but holds bullet securely from magazine set back.

At this OAL, the Marlin feeds flawlessly. It's impossible to overrun the feeding mechanism. You cannot run it fast enough to get a feed problem of any kind.

I think that unless the guns have been Smithed to handle the shorter 38 spl. OAL, they simply feed best at OAL's of at least 1.550 or longer, (not to exceed 1.590).

RBK

This is not intended as a war of the rifles as I really like the 73. Only stating what is working for me. Thanks for the info. I thought the cbc marlin was designed to handle 38's specifically as that is what it is marked as?

Yea, My bad. If your rifle is 38 Spl. only then my suggested OAL's won't work. However, cartridge OAL could still be slightly off what your specific rifle likes. A little experimenting with that may well fix your feeding problem. It usually don't take much to affect it.

I'm like you. I really have nothing against a 73, I just like the Marlin's better and always have.

RBK

MBF, I also love the Marlin rifles. I've heard some CBC's will chamber the longer .357 Mag rounds. I have two CBC's but they will only chamber .38 Specials. Long Hunter has a nice stainless steel spring and follower that makes loading much easier.

MBF, I also love the Marlin rifles. I've heard some CBC's will chamber the longer .357 Mag rounds. I have two CBC's but they will only chamber .38 Specials. Long Hunter has a nice stainless steel spring and follower that makes loading much easier.

+1.

Also, to help facilitate loading, you can remove your loading gate (which is actually a spring itself) and take about 1/2 of its bend out of it, assuming it is stiff to push a round thru. When I mention bending, I'm talking about the shaft area, not the gate portion.

I wouldn't try to 'hour glass' the spring shaft or thin any of its thickness but rather just take out some of the 'curve' in the middle of the bending area.

You can easily do this by laying it upside down, put a good size punch in the bent area, and smack the punch with a hammer. DON'T smack it toooo hard because you want some of that spring action to remain in its strength.

Then clean up and dry out its hole real good and use some BLUE loc-tite to secure the screw again.

The loading gate screw is the one of a couple screws in the 1894 action that you really don't want to become loose while shooting your rifle because it will adversely effect the feeding of your ammo from the portal area onto the carrier.

There are some GOOD Marlin mechanics on the Wire so don't hesitate to ask for help if needed.

..........Widder

go to Marauders website and check out the widdermatic conversion,,,, once yuve done all the mods they will feed anything, and if done completely even m t cases....

the only difference between a cowboy limited and the CBC is that the CBC is chambered for 38 only,,, they were supposed to be slicker but if so, not by much....

Widder is the man on Marlins, shy of short stroking them by Carty doing the Spur/Carty work...

if it is hard to load, the gate "spring" can be ground to lessen the tension...

dang that widder is fast!!!

Just to set record straight. Was not bad mouthing Marlins was chipping on MB. Havnt see him for awhile GW

I really recommend replacing the follower with the stainless one, but I'm not happy with the replacement spring. I ordered and installed the Long Hunter replacement Follower and SS Spring. Now the gun is harder to load than before. It isn't that the spring is too long as it's only about 4 inches longer than the tube, but evidently is a lot stiffer. The last 3 or 4 rounds are hard to load. The loading gate is not stiff or hard to depress, so spring tension has to be the culprit.

The original spring was not damaged or rusty, so I think I'll clean it and lightly oil it and put it back in. Loading a 24 inch magazine tube with 10 rounds, should NOT be difficult.

RBK

Thanks for info. Will look a little closer at loading gate. GW I knew you was just "funnin" me! :P

Howdy Kid.

Are you getting a 'snagged' feeling when you get to those last rounds?

Sometimes, its the 9:00 o'clock sharp edge of the portal entrance that catches the rim of the previous cartridge. Then when you try to push a round thru the loading gate, the nose of the bullet will only go to the portal entrance until the rim of the previous cartridge moves forward.

EDIT: the 9:00 o'clock position of the portal is exactly opposite of the loading gate side. This is the spot where a rim can catch and get hindered from pushing forwards by the next round coming thru the loading gate.

I've solved this issue on numerous Marlins by chamfering that part of the portal entrance.

I agree with your trimming the new spring about 4" longer than the mag tube. Those springs have a great reputation of being high quality without needing brute strength to put your rounds thru the loading gate.

Hope you solve your issue.

..........Widder

Howdy Widder,

Lefty Vaquero said I'd find you hear on the forum.

Have Marlin's in need!

Was on Slick's wait list forever...he said your taking his work now?

I need your contact info.

Your mailbox is full.

Help...Marlin

Howdy Kid.

Are you getting a 'snagged' feeling when you get to those last rounds?

Sometimes, its the 9:00 o'clock sharp edge of the portal entrance that catches the rim of the previous cartridge. Then when you try to push a round thru the loading gate, the nose of the bullet will only go to the portal entrance until the rim of the previous cartridge moves forward.

I've solved this issue on numerous Marlins by chamfering that part of the portal entrance.

I agree with your trimming the new spring about 4" longer than the mag tube. Those springs have a great reputation of being high quality without needing brute strength to put your rounds thru the loading gate.

Hope you solve your issue.

..........Widder

Great Idea Widder !!

That's something I had never thought of doing. This of course isn't what I was referring to specifically, but that does happen with some regularity. Quite possibly that modification, (chamfering the portal entrance), will improve things to where you won't notice the extra spring effort. I'll do that tomorrow and see how things turn out. Thanks for the tip !!

RBK

I ran 1.50-1.52 in my marlin using a 147TC bullet and a roll crimp, it seemed to work okay for me. But, I have never been accused of being fast with any gun.

Widder tried to pm you but box full. The cbc being a 38 spl I thought would have different carrier but looks just the same as your picture on marauders website. I have a random feed issue where may have to lever twice to get round in. If change carrier does this affect anything else in a cbc if supposedly designed as a 38 spl? Chamfered mag tube opening and shortened spring and helped loading quite a bit. Also wondering if ejector mod should happen and chamfer chamber opening? Also put in slicks trigger change and now with trigger screw tight sometimes will not cock hammer and gets stuck on bolt in cutout?

MBFields,

feel free to call me at 865 / 984-4455.

Soooooo many issues you might want to discuss and it makes it nearly impossible to type everything out with clarity.

Thanks

..........Widder

MBFields,

feel free to call me at 865 / 984-4455.

Soooooo many issues you might want to discuss and it makes it nearly impossible to type everything out with clarity.

Thanks

..........Widder

Maybe you should write a book?

Warden,

I would go crazy trying to explain probable issues and define probable cures ifn I put it down in writing.

Sometimes, ya just have to listen to the gun owner explain the situation and start the process of elimination.

There are a handful of items that can cause jams:

loose screws

loose loading gate

bad loading gate

initial timing (lowering of the lever). Does the carrier rise to slow or to quick during the lowering of the lever? And what is its stopping position in relation to the portal area?

secondary timing (upward motion of the lever). How high does the carrier rise and how long does it stay up? Does it have a good free fall?

out of spec carrier

weak carrier plunger spring

wrongly cut (or modified) lever

stiff Extractor

height of hump on carrier

height of ramp on bottom of carrier

wing area of the carrier

distance of front of carrier in relation to the receiver wall, particularly in the portal area and the sharp edges of the portal.

length of the tongue on front of the carrier..... or I should say, lack of proper length.

chamber entrance

and I've probably forgotten a couple other items right now.

To write a book on how to determine WHICH of these is the Gremlin in your Marlin and proper cure would drive a feller crazy.

Besides, who would waste their time reading it? :lol::lol::lol:

EDIT: and one most important item..... I'm RETIRED..... :D

..........Widder

Marshall Strum had a cowboy competition and rued the day he went with a 73 and sold his. He would always tell me when he saw mine. I have been shooting a nice short stroke 73 but want to go back to the cbc as it works great and has a longer throw on the lever, but it takes me time to line up the next shot anyway.

The MAIN reason I started with a Marlin about 10 years ago was the way it felt on my shoulder.

Yep, that was the determining factor in my decision to buy the Marlin.

I love the 73's and they are beautiful rifles in every respect.

But I just couldn't seem to get the 'feel' of it, compared to the Marlin.

I have been tempted to buy me one of them Texas Brush Poppers with those short barrels, etc.....

But everytime I get the money, I realize I need more reloading supplies or money for another big match to travel too.

..........Widder

Thanks Widder for info on phone yesterday. Worked on extractor and ran 10 rds of dummy shells through 3 times as fast as could go without a hitch! Also worked on trigger and using trigger happy rounded down works great. Thank you for going the extra mile and taking the time to help!!

Archived