SASS Wire Forum

Closed got the answers I needed. Thanks

Yesterday I picked up some parts to my 44-40 1894 Century Limited from my former gunsmith. These parts had been there since February 2011. The gunsmith passed away this past April after a 2 year battle with cancer. While in his possession 3 pieces got wet and rusted badly. Those parts where; the curved butt plate, the cap on the magazine tube and the forearm cap. Now the curved butt plate should be easy enough to find new. The other 2 parts, not so much.

Because the 1894 Century Limited was made using the style of parts used in the year 1894 the parts are not the same on the current models. The magazine cap is thicker & much heavier than the current ones. Although both are doomed the CL cap is much thicker along the edges. As for the forearm cap the current models are just a stamping. The CL model is a casting which is very intricate on the inside.

The problem is the rust. Can someone weld up the rust holes and then polish the pieces to their original dimensions so they can be re-blued. I can't afford a Turnball restoration but I know the project won't be free.

So can anybody help me with possible source for the correct parts or a firm that might be able to restore them? I am planning on calling Run-N- Iron in Nebraska tomorrow to see what he might suggest.

Thanks for your time,

Marlin

Guest Maker-Wright

Yesterday I picked up some parts to my 44-40 1894 Century Limited from my former gunsmith. These parts had been there since February 2011. The gunsmith passed away this past April after a 2 year battle with cancer. While in his possession 3 pieces got wet and rusted badly. Those parts where; the curved butt plate, the cap on the magazine tube and the forearm cap. Now the curved butt plate should be easy enough to find new. The other 2 parts, not so much.

Because the 1894 Century Limited was made using the style of parts used in the year 1894 the parts are not the same on the current models. The magazine cap is thicker & much heavier than the current ones. Although both are doomed the CL cap is much thicker along the edges. As for the forearm cap the current models are just a stamping. The CL model is a casting which is very intricate on the inside.

The problem is the rust. Can someone weld up the rust holes and then polish the pieces to their original dimensions so they can be re-blued. I can't afford a Turnball restoration but I know the project won't be free.

So can anybody help me with possible source for the correct parts or a firm that might be able to restore them? I am planning on calling Run-N- Iron in Nebraska tomorrow to see what he might suggest.

Thanks for your time,

Marlin

I don't know what parts you've got there, but they're not for a factory-correct Marlin 44-40 Century Limited...

The buttplate on a true 1894 Century 44-40 most likely won't rust, because they were made of brass, not steel. And other than that, the engraving, case colors, omission of scope-mounting holes, no grooves in the hammer spur for the offset spur accessory, and nicer wood were the only things that differed from a standard-production Cowboy Limited model.

44-40 Century's were basically a dressed-up regular production Marlin. The forearm tips weren't cast... The Century used the same stamped tip that other pistol-caliber cowboy models did.

I presume when you say "doomed" you meant the magazine cap is domed. I've seen lots of Century 44-40's, all of them had flat-topped mag caps from the factory, and are the exact same part as a 45LC cowboy used.

Maker

I've got a 1894 44-40 Century Limited and it's magazine and forearm caps appear to be exactly the same as are on my 1894 Cowboy Limited. They're blued steel and match the standard rifles that I've owned. What Maker-Wright says matches perfectly. The butt plates on both rifles are brass but the Century Limited has the top tang that isn't there on the Cowboy Limited. Both came with brass screws.

Marlin appeared to put all the extra cost into the receiver's finish, stock wood, and butt plate. Everything else looks to be regular production.

Finding those two parts should be as easy as finding parts for any octagon barrel 94 Marlin.

Guest Maker-Wright

I've got a 1894 44-40 Century Limited and it's magazine and forearm caps appear to be exactly the same as are on my 1894 Cowboy Limited. They're blued steel and match the standard rifles that I've owned. What Maker-Wright says matches perfectly. The butt plates on both rifles are brass but the Century Limited has the top tang that isn't there on the Cowboy Limited. Both came with brass screws.

Marlin appeared to put all the extra cost into the receiver's finish, stock wood, and butt plate. Everything else looks to be regular production.

Finding those two parts should be as easy as finding parts for any octagon barrel 94 Marlin.

Hey Litl Red,

Every Century limited I've seen had a butt plate that merely covers the butt itself, and doesn't extend beyond the heel (no top tang, both screws located on the butt), and I've never seen a factory Cowboy Ltd. with a brass buttplate (they've always been hard plastic/rubber)... are you sure?

Maker

While in his possession 3 pieces got wet and rusted badly.

Put them in a rotary tumbler with media and burnishing solution. The rust will be completely removed. Pits? Buff them out with a compound buffing wheel - then reblue

Example:

GunParts3_zpsc32ac550.jpg

GunParts7_zps748e212c.jpg

Thanks for the input guys. I looked at the Numrich site but they show the items are not in stock. I will call them to be sure. I have only owned 3 Century Limiteds'. It appears that my rifles have been different from Maker-Wright.

Thanks and keep the info coming,

Marlin

Guest Maker-Wright

Thanks for the input guys. I looked at the Numrich site but they show the items are not in stock. I will call them to be sure. I have only owned 3 Century Limiteds'. It appears that my rifles have been different from Maker-Wright.

Marlin

Please, educate us. We love to learn about old west-type guns here on the wire.

Post any image, or source of published info stating that the 1894 Century Limited 44-40's came with steel butt plates, cast forend tips, and domed mag caps. I'm very interested to see what you come up with. Especially, how no less than 3 of these rare factory guns came to be in your possession.

This one sports a Brass plate, stamped tip, flat mag cap, complete with factory box...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=494509482

All the Century 44-40's in this gallery have brass plates, etc...

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=marlin+1894+century+limited&qpvt=marlin+1894+Century+limited&qpvt=marlin+1894+Century+limited&FORM=IGRE

Here's another one...

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,41847.0.html

Maker

BTW, being a supplier to Brownells, and a manufacturer of Marlin accessories for many years, I know Brownells has the proper forend tip, and mag cap to fit the factory Marlin 1894 44-40 Century Limited model. Both parts for about $30 total + Sh. I have no idea where you'd find a factory butt plate for one, let alone a Marlin factory "steel" one.

Marlin

I took a look after I posted on my desktop and it looks like they have the mag cap still in stock. It is listed at the very bottom of the parts list. Forearm cap and butt plate are shown as sold out.

BTW they have different P/Ns than the other models of Marlin 1894s

Hey Litl Red,

Every Century limited I've seen had a butt plate that merely covers the butt itself, and doesn't extend beyond the heel (no top tang, both screws located on the butt), and I've never seen a factory Cowboy Ltd. with a brass buttplate (they've always been hard plastic/rubber)... are you sure?

Maker

Sorry, I forgot the work I did on those rifles back when I got them. The Century Limited was a steal from a collector who had screwed it up and was giving it away to hide his shame. I had a time getting a replacement butt from Marlin. It took so long that I made a new one with the help of a great guy who happened to have a thriving business in flint/percussion parts and stocks. He had an excellent line of stocks and did customs. He had a nice piece of wood and the machines weren't busy. I made a replacement for the Century limited using a percussion style that had a tang. When the Marlin replacement finally showed up it was obviously a reject and needed repair. While doing that, I decided to stick it on a CowboyL I also got for a song. How did I forget doing all that? It was done as an aside to making a number of N.C. style longrifles during that decade. To show how forgetful you can get in old age, while I was down in the shop this afternoon pulling out the two Marlins so I wouldn't say something wrong, I found a barrel and stock (and "kit" with lock and furniture) for a long rifle that got started back in the 80s and put back until I could get around to it. I was wrong to remember those two Marlins as stock, sorry.

I notice I do have a Cowboy Limited butt stock with plastic plate and sort of ugly wood. with about 20 some years of dust on it....

Guest Maker-Wright

Sorry, I forgot the work I did on those rifles back when I got them. The Century Limited was a steal from a collector who had screwed it up and was giving it away to hide his shame. I had a time getting a replacement butt from Marlin. It took so long that I made a new one with the help of a great guy who happened to have a thriving business in flint/percussion parts and stocks. He had an excellent line of stocks and did customs. He had a nice piece of wood and the machines weren't busy. I made a replacement for the Century limited using a percussion style that had a tang. When the Marlin replacement finally showed up it was obviously a reject and needed repair. While doing that, I decided to stick it on a CowboyL I also got for a song. How did I forget doing all that? It was done as an aside to making a number of N.C. style longrifles during that decade. To show how forgetful you can get in old age, while I was down in the shop this afternoon pulling out the two Marlins so I wouldn't say something wrong, I found a barrel and stock (and "kit" with lock and furniture) for a long rifle that got started back in the 80s and put back until I could get around to it. I was wrong to remember those two Marlins as stock, sorry.

I notice I do have a Cowboy Limited butt stock with plastic plate and sort of ugly wood. with about 20 some years of dust on it....

Thanks for the clarification Litl Red

Maker

Maker-Wright

What can I say, my gun has a cast fore end cap and a domed magazine tube end. I see that when you can see the end caps on the guns they all appear to be flat, mine isn't. As for the fore end cap I am not capable of simply looking at a picture and telling cast, polished & blued from a stamped piece of sheet metal. Others apparently are, and I applaud their abilities. I see that the guns show a brass butt plate, I got a steel one back from the gunsmith. I will have to check back with his wife. I notice that Numrich lists a separate schematic for the 1894 CL. You have to buy the schematic to look at it. I will do that tomorrow as well as checking there availability of parts. As far as saying I have three of these rifle I said I have owned 3, I currently only own 1, the one I am asking questions about. This one I had traded for about 6 years ago. Maybe the previous owner changed some parts. I don't know it was the first one I had ever seen and the other two passed through my hand while this gun was at the previously mentioned gun smith.

With all that being said does someone have any recommendations for someone to work on it?

Again thanks for the help,

Marlin

Befor you buy the schematic give Numrich a call. Nice folks to deal with.

Be careful of online pictures. Many times websites will use a stock photo and not one of exact part.

Here is a link to a general schematic of the Century Limited. Go to the last page of the list for item that are unique to that particular model. Often they are not indexed on the schematic.

Sedalia Dave - I will call Numrich later today for their help. Thank you for your help.

Well I am no longer looking for a steel butt plate. I found my original butt plate and it is brass. Things you think about and remember when you are trying to fall asleep. Funny thing is it wasn't were I thought I had it stored. I thought it was in a chest in my basement, actually in a dresser less than 5 feet from my computer when I wrote the original post.

What I am looking for now is a very good shop to do the bluing on the magazine tube and the barrel.

Again, thanks for your help,

Marlin

Guest Maker-Wright

I honestly believe the greatest obstacle to getting this gun right is the notion that an 1894 Century is anything but an 1894 Cowboy in fancy pajamas...

Take a look at the barrel...

Do you have/ is the Magazine Plug Stud still in it's dovetail? Do you have the screw for it?

Do you have/ is the Forearm Tip Tenon still in place on the barrel? Do you still have the screws for it?

If so, throw caution to the wind, live life on the edge, fly by the seat of your pants, and spend the entire....... $30 + shipping, to get the new parts from Brownells. You've got nothing to lose but a few minutes of point and click, and maybe a few bucks in return shipping.

Or, you could continue to try to hand somebody $40- $80 an hour in shop time + materials, to try to restore rusty random parts that don't even belong on the gun.

1894 Blued Forearm Tip w/o swivel stud #550-000-084 $19.99

Large cal. 1894 Blued Magazine Tube Plug #550-000-129 $9.99

As far as Numrich having different part #'s for the gun, General Motors might have multiple part numbers for the front bumper of my truck, but it doesn't make my Silverado a Cameo Carrier.

Maker

As far as Numrich having different part #'s for the gun, General Motors might have multiple part numbers for the front bumper of my truck, but it doesn't make my Silverado a Cameo Carrier.

+1 Brownell's has at least two different part numbers and prices for the exact same large caliber brass carrier for Uberti 73 rifles....

Maker- Wright

I realize my 1894Cl is not a pristine gun nor a collectors item. I will take the parts back to the gunsmiths wife, they will be of more use to her and an old gun than they are to me. Yes I have all the pieces to put it back together and I ordered all new screws for the entire gun 4 years ago. They are all in Brownells plastic just been waiting for the gun.

If no one objects I am going to marked closed on this thread. I will start a new one asking for suggestions on a gunsmith or service that could re-blue the magazine tube and barrel.

Thanks again for the help

Marlin

Archived