SASS Wire Forum

Are there too many categories in SASS?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SO.

Because I believe in healthy competition.

And not cutting or shooters into so many more categories.

As there are only so many to go around. And really. Of all the categories we have now

that they still can not find one they like.

That they want to keep adding more.

Then I am a Elitist and a bad guy?? OK Guess I am.

I have my opinion. And have not looked down my noise at anyone.

Or called anyone names.

It is not about winning. I very seldom win. And by less categories. I would even win less.

probably would not ever win again

And I am OK with that. People are getting winning and competition mixed up.

Okay let's end this now the real important question is:

COLTS OR RUGERS????????????

Al you can call me a name if you want.

SO.

Because I believe in healthy competition.

And not cutting or shooters into so many more categories.

As there are only so many to go around. And really. Of all the categories we have now

that they still can not find one they like.

That they want to keep adding more.

Then I am a Elitist and a bad guy?? OK Guess I am.

I have my opinion. And have not looked down my noise at anyone.

Or called anyone names.

It is not about winning. I very seldom win. And by less categories. I would even win less.

probably would not ever win again

And I am OK with that. People are getting winning and competition mixed up.

Huh? Who called you names? I can't find it.

Al you can call me a name if you want.

Pit. You are one great guy. And a credit to the sport.

And I mean that.

Stepped up to help a shooter you did not even know.

Huh? Who called you names? I can't find it.

They was just calling some that don't agree with them Elitist in a round about way.

I said I respected there opinion. But guess that may not go both way. I am OK with that.

At least I know where I stand.

And I know other feel like me also. As some have posted on there that they agree there is

to many.

And ever time I has came up at a match. I hear folks say the same thing. So I know I am not

the only one. Just maybe more vocal or to vocal about it on here.

I was just curious what everyone thought about this topic. Again I'm sorry for the dead horse I had never read the previous posts about it. I think SASS is doing a fine job. Are they perfect? Of course not no organization is. All I can say is I am thankful for the existence of SASS and providing us with a governing body. The beauty of this sport is that each individual can enjoy it in their own way. For some it's a fantasy but for me it's not that at all, Its a REALITY SPORT and a way of life for me. In fact this sport came along at a time in my life where I really needed to rediscover myself in a way. With this rediscovery it gave me and my son something to bond with as well as many friends along the way. We have also built many fond memories that we will always treasure. With all the good and bad ups and downs we still get everything we put into this back and then some. I appreciate everyone who has been on this journey and the ones who blazed the trail.

Ohhhhhhhhh I'm sorry my friend, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one. And it's the one area where I fall firmly in the camp of there being too many categories. Even if the awards aren't as nice as EoT or Winter Range, awards make up a significant percentage of the cost of putting on a big match. Yes, we order awards based on entries received but when you're ordering awards you have to get the order in by a particular date so you can only make a best guess as to which ones and how many. Between that date and the date of the award ceremony MANY things change and none of them are good. What you're left with is a VERY unhappy customer who doesn't get an award at the ceremony and/or unused awards that are $$$ down the drain.

Simple, Just UP your entry fee to cover for the xx% unexpected awards for the late entries and such or go to xx place per category.

Only one more category that needs to be added.......All Around Cowboy. It's the natural progression of the TRUE PRACTITIONER of this sport.

2 stages Traditional

2 stages Duelist

2 stages Gunfighter

2 stages Black Powder

2 stages "Freestyle"

Shooter has to use a double on at least two stages. Shooter has to use a 97 or 87 on at least two stages. Shooter has to dress Classic Cowboy. This is the most fun you can have with your cowboy hat on!

I would be glad to come to WR and run the posse for this category. BTW, because we don't shoot the same match as everyone else due to the "Freestyle" stages, we have our own prizes and don't get scored with everyone else. The winner traditionally wins a very nice belt buckle. Ok, it's just my idea, but its a dang good one.

Only one more category that needs to be added.......All Around Cowboy. It's the natural progression of the TRUE PRACTITIONER of this sport.

2 stages Traditional

2 stages Duelist

2 stages Gunfighter

2 stages Black Powder

2 stages "Freestyle"

Shooter has to use a double on at least two stages. Shooter has to use a 97 or 87 on at least two stages. Shooter has to dress Classic Cowboy. This is the most fun you can have with your cowboy hat on!

I would be glad to come to WR and run the posse for this category. BTW, because we don't shoot the same match as everyone else due to the "Freestyle" stages, we have our own prizes and don't get scored with everyone else. The winner traditionally wins a very nice belt buckle. Ok, it's just my idea, but its a dang good one.

I love it!

There are arguments pro and con... with both philosophical & monetary points for those so minded to try to deduce a "correct" answer...

There are almost, nearly enough categories for a match like the World or National Championships... for club shoots there are probably too many. And for State or Regionals, it's really a crap shoot, some areas will have more of this, less of that, and none of it probably averages out.

But, just to upset Judge Roy Bean, since he's always been so fond of saying we have categories because we don't have any class, (or maybe that's a misquote)... , I've always felt that all of the categories have a certain amount of "class"... (proponents of each will surely argue that their category has MORE)... but in reality, B-Western is just as important as Classic Cowboy; and the same applies equally to the balance of the categories, except Frontiersman... it being the most important category; as it's the hysterically inaccurate idea of what guns were prevalent during the inception of the "cowboy era"! :ph34r: Then there's the aged-based categories, and since age is simply a state of mind, if you're 70 and think you're 35, there's a category (or four for you. Conversely, if you're 35 and think you're 70... you probably ain't interested in SASS anyway, so who cares what you think?

So, in wrapping this up, if there were more categories, wouldn't it logically follow that we'd simply have MORE class?

Well it's just a game, or is it a shooting contest? Both have rules, both have followers. But the thing to remember at every level the host or governing bodies you are in the entertainment business. If you do it well it will last and grow if not it will not grow.

Naw, Wranglers or Rustler jeans?

WOW!!!!!! You are FAST my friend.

From the ridiculous to the absurd in less than .05 seconds!

I am impressed. ;)

EC

Cheers Grizzly Dave!

I am hoisting my glass of Maker's Mark, Overproof, Single Barrel Reserve Bourbon in your honor.

EC

Well, folks, I do CAS because it's *fun.* When I collect a ribbon, it is a genuine surprise to me.

It's a *hobby.*

I never meant to let it get out of hand, but now that I have enough guns (knock on wood), maybe I can get another shirt.

:)

You folks are looking at this from the 'shooters' view, not the marketing view. How many new folks like to come shoot and always be at the bottom of the pile. Yes, it takes time and practice to improve. But even if you shoot at a 2 day or 3 day in Ohio, chances are you are going to be shooting against a top 25 finisher from End of Trail in your category. These folks change categories too, either to keep from getting bored, shoot with friends or win. There are also a truck load of folks, almost that good too to compete with. Then you get the 64 year old guy who has been doing this 15 years who decides to shoot in the younger age group because he knows, his technique is a lot better that the 'pups' and he can easily overcome any physical advantage they may have and win the category.

So, having perhaps a category for first year or first 2 year shooters or more options that allow a newbie an actual chance of placing in a match would build confidence and interest and keep them returning. Isn't that what the clubs, match directors and fellow shooters should be interested in? So if you want competiton, shoot against Lassiter, Deuce, Smokin Iron, Honey B Quick, Split Rail or Stone Creek. But have a category for the new folks so they develop an interest in the game.

I just love this game.I shoot S-gunfighter,If they had S-S- gunfighter my age would put me there.If they just had gunfighter I would shoot there.I will shoot my cap and ball 58s and I will shoot it in S-gunfighter.I really don't care who is in the category.I get to shoot with the LA.State Champ,the Texas State Champ S-gunfighters and a World Champ gunfighter + four or five good gunfighters at bi-monthlys.I don't care how bad I get beat if I shoot good for me.We had 16 shooters at a bi-monthly and 8 are gunfighters.If I was as good as most of you guys maybe I would care about how many Categories there were.I have to much fun just being with the people in a match and playing cowboy for 5 or 6 stages at a bi-monthly or 10 stages at a big match.My thoughts are to find a way you want to shoot and just go have fun and try to shoot the best you can.If the powers that be make more categories or make less categories it really don't bother me.JUST LET ME SHOOT GUNFIGHTER.

You folks are looking at this from the 'shooters' view, not the marketing view. How many new folks like to come shoot and always be at the bottom of the pile. Yes, it takes time and practice to improve. But even if you shoot at a 2 day or 3 day in Ohio, chances are you are going to be shooting against a top 25 finisher from End of Trail in your category. These folks change categories too, either to keep from getting bored, shoot with friends or win. There are also a truck load of folks, almost that good too to compete with. Then you get the 64 year old guy who has been doing this 15 years who decides to shoot in the younger age group because he knows, his technique is a lot better that the 'pups' and he can easily overcome any physical advantage they may have and win the category.

So, having perhaps a category for first year or first 2 year shooters or more options that allow a newbie an actual chance of placing in a match would build confidence and interest and keep them returning. Isn't that what the clubs, match directors and fellow shooters should be interested in? So if you want competiton, shoot against Lassiter, Deuce, Smokin Iron, Honey B Quick, Split Rail or Stone Creek. But have a category for the new folks so they develop an interest in the game.

I always thought it was odd that we have age-based categories yet people can "move down" if they like. What was the reasoning behind this?

I always thought it was odd that we have age-based categories yet people can "move down" if they like. What was the reasoning behind this?

I think the biggest reason is to allow the younger aged categories to fill out. Otherwise, might have 0 Cowboys, 1 Wrangler, 4 49ers and 32 Seniors.

The concept is not new to sass. In most individual competitor sports, you can go up, but not down. Example would be a boxer fighting above his weight class. So it's ok to compete against people that are at a higher level than you, but it would be unfair to compete at a lower level. I guess the feeling here is that you can go down in age because you'd be competing against younger folks that are faster?

The Territorial Governors voted to retain the ability to move down from an "age-protected" category.

Current rules re: "Age-Based" specifies: "...XX years of age or greater." for those above the Junior age restriction.

REF: SHB p.13

Pop quiz:

A 26-year-old male competitor shooting Blackhawk revolvers "two-handed", a '73 rifle and an 1897 shotgun has _____ categories to choose from.

A 66-year-old female shooter using the same firearms has ____ categories from which to choose.

Pop quiz:

A 26-year-old male competitor shooting Blackhawk revolvers "two-handed", a '73 rifle and an 1897 shotgun has _____ categories to choose from.

A 66-year-old female shooter using the same firearms has ____ categories from which to choose.

1 and 5, I believe.

Archived