SASS Wire Forum

Are there too many categories in SASS?

Hey Rye, I got a daygo buddy named Buick, is that close enough? The rest I could do except the 44-40. :D

I think I know that guy!!!! Yea, he could shoot in Rustler and maybe we'll relax the caliber to anything ya want!! :D

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is just another of many past threads talking about the category situation. My answer to the OP question is that there are too many categories and not enough categories. I'm sure that everyone knows all the reasons for each, they have been cussed and discussed many times. :wacko:

Snakebite

There was a time, many years ago, when we were the type people who ridiculed the notion that schools were requiring a chair for each child playing musical chairs. Now we are the old fokes who go waaa waaa, I do not feel good about myself because I didn't win! What happened to the idea that if I wanted to be recognised as a winner, I would work harder than the other guys to achieve that recognition? If you have lived to be 70, 80 or more years old and still be able to go out and play, thank God but do not expect strangers to honour you for your having been blessed! Does anyone ever think about those who run around all the time proclaiming look at me, look at me I won and actually think, what a winner. Why are we even keeping score?

You weren't thinking of doing that with those 32's you normally shoot were you? ;)

First of all,"Brother Love", I don't now and have NEVER actually shot 32's in a match anywhere. Second, even if I did, it would be within the rules (MY RULES) for All Around Cowboy because the whole idea behind this category is to be able to shoot different styles and do them all well. I know this may be a strange concept considering you have to concentrate sooooo hard on just one gun at a time. :0.

All Around Cowboy is TOUGH!!!!!! and I've shot everything required for a long time!!!!!!

There was a time, many years ago, when we were the type people who ridiculed the notion that schools were requiring a chair for each child playing musical chairs. Now we are the old fokes who go waaa waaa, I do not feel good about myself because I didn't win! What happened to the idea that if I wanted to be recognised as a winner, I would work harder than the other guys to achieve that recognition? If you have lived to be 70, 80 or more years old and still be able to go out and play, thank God but do not expect strangers to honour you for your having been blessed! Does anyone ever think about those who run around all the time proclaiming look at me, look at me I won and actually think, what a winner. Why are we even keeping score?

AMEN

+ infinity

• 1 month later...

This is just another of many past threads talking about the category situation. My answer to the OP question is that there are too many categories and not enough categories. I'm sure that everyone knows all the reasons for each, they have been cussed and discussed many times. :wacko:

Snakebite

+1

Im new to SASS, but in no way new to shooting.

Its kind of funny going to a match and then looking at the results. There are so many categories( I dont know if that is good or bad) that everyone wins. At 2 annuals I went to this year, there were more winners than non winners. Everyone gets a participation award...almost. If you are Cowboy, Wrangler or 49er maybe not everybody.

I am not condeming the way it is, but it is peculiar to say the least.

My 10 year old Buckaroo got an award. I had to explain to him, that unless he beat someone, the award means nothing. nothing at all.

There are several categories that attract lots and lots of people. Silver Senior, Wrangler 49er, Cowboy have lots and lots of entries. If you finish in the top 10 at a regional in any of those categories you are doing OK. Most people in those categories don't get awards.

Okay.... as one of the ladies.

As an average at best shooter.... and shoot one of those thin pieces of pie catagories....

I like shooting smoke... makes me happy. Would I stop shooting if they did away with it, NO. But what do you gain by dumping these catagories?

If you have an issue with me winning a buckle because there are so few of us, let me speak to you this way.

I cast my own bullets ... I load my own ammo and clean my own guns. I push my own guncart ... sew most of my garb as well as hubbys' shirts.

Many of you have shot with me. I feel I hold my own, work on the posse... and at times, make the match just that little bit better , having the fun I do.

Yes, we have a lot of catagories.... again, what would you drop? How would dropping catagories make us a more serious, competitive sport?

PS... on posse requests, I take the time to ask to be paired with fun folk. As to not irritate the serious shooters, and bring down the match they want to shoot.

Allow us that are there for fun, the same privelege.

I'm with Sue and I'd shoot with her any day. I too am a female shooter. I shoot in another "underpopulated category". When I joined SASS I shot in the traditional category. Once I learned the game, I wanted something that presented more of a personal challenge. I switched to gunfighter. There were many times that my category was not recognized because there were not enough shooters (3 or 5 was the usual requirement). There were never enough to move to lady duelist either - that made other ladies that were moving to other categories. Match officials would offer to put me in the "traditional" categories. I always declined. How was I to improve or even see how I stacked up against others if I did not have the chance to shoot it against others shooting the same way. I always opted to shoot with the men. I switched to Classic Cowgirl when the category was introduced and have remained there ever since.

These "underpopulated" categories will never grow if there is always a chance that those who enjoy them continue to find that their category is not offered. Just let things alone and allow them to attract competitors and grow rather than the opposite.

I've been shooting B-Western for over 6 years now. I'm always trying to get more people to shoot it. That being said, I do have a problem with someone who ONLY shoots it at a large match. If you shoot B-Western category all year and we go head to head in a major match, GREAT! If you are cherry-picking once a year, not so much. Last weekend I shot against Copperhead Joe. Did I beat him - no. Did I expect to beat him - not really...but you never know. Did it diminish his or my accomplishment - again, no. But, if someone comes in for a "one and done" it kind of cheapens it for everyone that goes to all the time, effort and money of building their costumes to shoot all year.

Buzzard (who shoots B-[for Buzzard) Western]

Archived