SASS Wire Forum

Do you reload while traveling?

Rancho Roy

I'm thinking about hitting the road with my truck camper this fall and winter and head to the Southwest for some shoot'n.

Those of you that travel from region to region, shooting a various events, how do you handle ammo needs. Bring a whole bunch preloaded or do you reload on the road.

If you reload, can you share your set-ups?

Thanks!

Check out George Baylors rig....his trailer is et for all his reloading needs.

We have, in past taken our single press and a shotgun press...attached to a small end table. All the compnents stored inside. The table could be brought outdoors to load.

I took a 550 and a mec 9000,,,, set them up as needed,,, I've also loaded enuff for the season...

Where can I see George Baylors rig?

Thanks!

He pulls a trailer behind his motor home large enough to hold an SUV and a large loading bench.

garage18-1-200.jpg

I can barely text while traveling, let alone reload. :lol:

Here's a Lee turret setup I had several years ago, built into a sewing machine table.

LeeBench.jpg

I travel with an old Lyman Tru-Line Jr. turret press when we travel by roads somewhere, including

across Canada.

The press uses Lyman 310 "Nutcracker" dies, and I keep it set up with dies for .45 Colt.

I pack the die handles too if needed.

I have it fastened to my shooting box and can stuff all the tools needed to

reload plenty of cartridges in the box.

Makes a nice compact outfit that can be packed away under all the other stuff we tend to haul around..

Also if going on an extended journey I put in a 5 lb. electric lead pot, dipper and bullet moulds

for .45 Colt bullets, and .375 pistol balls, plus a dozen or so ingots of bullet metal.

I have a pan lubing pan all set up for lubing the bullets, and only need to borrow the use of

an oven somewhere for that. Can usually scrounge some wheelweights if I run short of bullet metal,

I buy primers and powder (black or Pyrodex) along the way, replenishing as needed, usually can find

what I need somewhere along the way. I usually cast and lube several hundred bullets and

take them along, along with a couple hundred empty unprimed brass, a couple pounds of powder and

several hundred large pistol primers.

Another approach, if your schedule puts you in known locations at a particular time. Ship loaded ammo to yourself in care of a shooter at the locations you are going to. Many SASS pards are willing to receive and store ammo for a month or two. Make some friends, call in the favors, and maybe take them and their family out to dinner while you are there picking up the ammo.

Beats having to try to replenish supplies on the road. Especially powder currently. Two years ago, it was primers and brass. Probably will be bullets next year. Who knows?

Good luck, GJ

I tried reloading in the motorhome, wasn't compatible with the Mrs's idea of what the dining table was meant for. She's usually always right. Now I just spend the last month before leaving home loading 1500-2000 r/p rounds and 250-500 shotgun rounds. That usually lasts the winter.

If I have my toy hauler I can reload and have at a match when I ran I. To bad ammo once. As soon as I receive my ne trailer for transporting my new utv I will move the reloading room to it.

I'm very familiar with capt baylors setup as I've visited him often. His is bit more than I've need. But I plan to setup two 550s one for small primers and the other for large,instead of the 650 a rcbs rock chucker for those needs that the Dillion's will not handles do MEC for shotshells. I'm hoping to get a trailer similar to his for towing a utv. It will hopefully have storage like his. I've yet to finalize the order. Plus mine will have its own genset and AC unit.

I'm very familiar with capt baylors setup as I've visited him often. His is bit more than I've need. But I plan to setup two 550s one for small primers and the other for large,instead of the 650 a rcbs rock chucker for those needs that the Dillion's will not handles do MEC for shotshells. I'm hoping to get a trailer similar to his for towing a utv. It will hopefully have storage like his. I've yet to finalize the order. Plus mine will have its own genset and AC unit.

Why 2-550's? :blink:

Takes 3 minutes at the very most, to switch from small to large primers. It's just the primer 'ram' and tube is all.......All you need is a 5/32" hex wrench.

OLG

I just had the opertunity to pick up the second one and that way it just the regular caliber change overs no bother with dumping out left over primers or anything.

Howdy,

I know its not what you meant but I had this vision of a pard

sitting in coach on an aircraft, running a reloading press and

having a flight attendant confiscating the bullets that were made:)

Best

CR

Getting ready to retire and travel more so we bought a fifth wheel toy hauler. We bought the toy hauler so I could mount a Dillon 550B on it for reloading when we travel. Used it at EOT and it worked out well.

Archived