SASS Wire Forum

New SASS member!

Hoss

Welcoming my wife, Belle Ringer, SASS # 102903. I'm looking forward to shooting with her! I doubt she will be a wire denizen, but then, I never thought she would want to shoot either! (Until I started CAS she had never touched a gun, much less fired one, now she has a CHL, and is looking forward to CAS shooting!)

On a side note, I joined in June of 2011. 7045 new SASS members in 3 years. Some 2348 average new members per year. I would think that's "sustainable growth".

I have enjoyed every minute of my involvement with CAS, I have met and made some great friends. Looking forward to shooting with Belle!

Hoss....Hoss....Hosss.....congratulations to you both...look forward to meeting and shooting with her...a great big wahoooo for you both......Jim

That's a great name! And your story gives me hope that my wife will someday join the sass ranks. If not, well there's always my kids

Kid, she is a teacher, so it seemed appropriate!

She literally had never touched a gun until I started shooting CAS. She goes with me to matches and usually keeps score for my posse. She started asking questions, and then handled, then ahot my guns a few times. She got more intersted, decided to get a carry permit, went to a class taylored for lady newcomers, then to CHL class. she rarely carries, but likes to have the option, especially when traveling. She is gettig more comfortable shooting, and is easing into it. Shotgun was probabaly her biggest challengel, but she handles it fine. I do load my shotgun shells down to WW Featherlite power. right now she is shooting my SxS, and will try my new 97. As she decides which she likes better I will liklely get the LOP adjusted to her. I also found her a pair of Lightning pistols, which are slightly smaller framed than my Vaqueros. Best advice I can give on getting your wife to shoot is just be patient, take her to the range to learn to handle guns and shoot a little, take her to matches to meet some of the folks. Don't push her into somethjng she is not ready to do.

From what I've heard and read, many women have trouble with and don't want to shoot shotguns because the length of pull is incorrect for them (too long) and the kick (too hard).

Luckily the first shotgun I ever shot was a Browning Citori that Laz gave me for Christmas one year when he couldn't think of anything else to give me that would be unusual. He wouldn't let me shoot it until the stock was fitted to me. I LOVED it and began shooting skeet with it. Of course my girlfriends couldn't understand why I was so thrilled to get guns for the next several years for birthdays and Christmas. That was before we joined SASS and began shooting CAS. Now my CAS girlfriends know why I was so thrilled.

Luckily, I am not very recoil sensitive, but we used light shells even for skeet. For CAS Laz loads a featherlite load which I use except when we know that knockdowns require a little more umph to be on the safe side.

Glad that she is taking up CAS and to hear she is more comfortable with guns. I think she will come to love CAS as much as you do. Just make sure she gets a shotgun to fit her. Maybe ask to borrow another woman's shotgun with shortened stock at some local matches before buying her one. Use your light loads so she gets a real feel for the shotgun whether it is SxS or pump. I love all of my shotguns, but the 97 is my favorite especially when stages allow stoking.

Hope to shoot with you and Belle Ringer someday.

Archived