SASS Wire Forum

Interesting call opinions on this

Ace_of_Hearts

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shoot 5 shots on dump, misses count. Then shoot next 5 shots on knock downs, misses do not count as misses. Then shoot any any remaining knock downs with the shotgun.

Easy to spot, easy to score, keeps a clean match going, and is hard to get a P.

That won't work on a tombstone rack in graduated sizes with the smallest in the back. I see no need for it on a horizontal array either.

Sure it would. One shot per KD. If KD fails to fall the you shoot next visible KD or go to Dump target then back to KD.

If double taps are allowed, then just DT KD and don't bother with dump target

Sure it would. One shot per KD. If KD fails to fall the you shoot next visible KD or go to Dump target then back to KD.

Allie means KD rack with each KD smaller as you go, lined up front to back in a straight line with the largest in the front. Which ever one is left in front covers all KDs behind it.

I once saw a plate rack that was set so light a good hit on the stand would knock down the plates. we were laughing about gaming it up and just doing a quick double tap on the stand, then go to the dump!

I think if I was wrtitng it I would make it no order, any misses on dump plate or KDs left standing are misses. That way very minimal chance of a P, and if there is a slow faller it does not penalize the shooter.

Put a dump plate on both ends, keep the left handers happy!

If shooter is B Western, all KD shoud be slow fallers like in the movies when the bad guy gets shot, falls on and crushes table, stumbles around, falls thru the saloon door, down the steps, into the steeet, before clutching his gut and falling to his knees, then face down in the street. :)

Assuming we're still talking about an array where the KDs are aligned one behind the other you just bought yourself a P by violating your own prohibition against double taps.

Re. Post 130 Possible answer to your question.

Two separate sequences in the rifle string: Shoot the five rifle knockdown targets, left to right, using available rifle rounds, as necessary. Targets must fall to count as hits. THEN shoot the Dump target with rifle rounds not fired at the knockdown targets. Misses on the Dump target are counted as misses.

One sequence in the rifle string: Shoot the five rifle knockdown targets, left to right, using available rifle rounds, as necessary. Targets must fall to count as hits. AND shoot the Dump target with rifle rounds not fired at knockdown targets. Hits or Misses on the dump target are not counted until all knockdowns have fallen.

If the goal isn't to slow down fast shooters, why not let remaining rounds go into the berm with only standing knockdowns counting as misses? As has been stated repeatedly, requiring them to go down before going to a dump target is a P trap, especially for a fast shooter, but ultimately for anyone who isn't as slow as cold molasses. Why write in such instructions when it's not necessary?

It has also been pointed out that match officials can have P traps in their matches if they choose to do so. Essentially match officials can, if they choose, do things that will reduce the number of people shooting their match even to the point that a club ceases to exist. Unfortunately these type of match officials typically take the stance that if nobody is complaining directly to match management or if only a few are complaining, all is well. The more foolish of them scoff at complaints.

For the life of me I can't wrap my mind around thinking its intelligent to put things in a match that are widely regarded as P traps, doing things to slow fast shooters down, or disparaging shooters who shoot light but legal loads. It's not smart. It is 24 carat foolishness.

Shoot 5 shots on dump, misses count. Then shoot next 5 shots on knock downs, misses do not count as misses. Then shoot any any remaining knock downs with the shotgun.

Easy to spot, easy to score, keeps a clean match going, and is hard to get a P.

Beats the crap outta the KD's and can really play funny things with the calibration.

Phantom

should have be explained FULLY in the stage description....

I can see there are no misses now, but I vote a P for out of sequence when dump target is hit before the 5 knockdowns go down.

Unless the shooter is the sister of the President, then 2 misses.

By counting the second miss, you are implying that the shooter's intent was to shoot the dump target...when there was still a viable rifle KD target to engage.

Phantom

Assuming we're still talking about an array where the KDs are aligned one behind the other you just bought yourself a P by violating your own prohibition against double taps.

That's fine, front to back.

I said engage KD at any time, no double taps, so one could go to Dump target and then back WO penalty. Key words are 'any time'.

I was not meaning all KD had to down before engaging Dump target

Yes, its all with a rifle, 10 shots.

Lets call it a plate rack rather than a knock down so we know its not a shotgun too.

With two misses on the rack, I wonder if the shooter is loading light like I do.

Only one KD was left standing...how did he have 2 misses on the KD Rack?

Phantom

He knocked down the last plate rack so no miss but a p for out of the defined order.

I told myself to stay away, but who listens to me?

:P

Which thread are you talking about?

The OP for this one had a plate still standing.

Shooter shoots AND HITS all the knock down plates. Plate 5 starts to fall as shooter proceeds to the dump plate. Target 5 settles back into the original position about round two on the dump plate. Shooter spots standing dump plate and fires last round at the remaining knock down and hits the knock down again but still does not knock it down.

Archived