SASS Wire Forum

1873 hammer won't lock up everytime

Flying W Ramrod

It was working just fine then I had some issues with ammo. Having to lever hard to eject.

Now the hammer won't fully lock up each time I lever.

I've had it apart, including the firing pin extension, pin and bolt.

Looks like, when the lever is fully opened, the extension doesn't push the hammer back far enough, I can move the extension to the rear by hand and make the hammer lock, but the toggles are fully compressed before I do this).

It's not much, maybe a 16th of an inch, but enough that I really have to slam the lever open to get the hammer to lock.

Yes, it has been short stroked. Old #4 did all the work but he's at EOT and I'm not.

Thanks in advance.

James, the follow up topic line says it all. Cimarron 1873 in 38-40.

Lunger, it's brand new but that doesn't mean the extension isn't the problem, I'm replacing it this afternoon.

Lumpy, I'll replace the lever this afternoon as well. Don't think that's the problem but if I knew what the problem was, I'd have fixed it by now.

If the rifle was running correctly before you had the "ammunition" problem, and you had to run the lever really hard to extract and eject, the highest probability is the lever is bent. Damage to a firing pin extension is almost impossible with anything less than a Nuclear Detonation.

You should also check to Carrier Block Lifter Arm to see if it's bent.

LG's suggestion that you lay the laver on top of a new lever is a dandy idea. After the links are in parallel, there is still an amount of movement in the lever to complete cocking the hammer. If the lever is bent ...............

Good Luck.

Coffinmaker

If the lever isn't bent, and the lifter arm isn't bent, then the easiest way to fix it is to shorten the trigger so that it locks up with the parts you have in there. Happens to many rifles when the wear allows the bolt to ride a bit higher when in the rear position. Maybe your gun was minimal when you got it and the slight bit of wear has it now non-functioning. Worked for me a couple of times to keep some older rifles in the game.

UPDATE

Well, I set two levers on top, no difference so, I put the 38-40 back together with the other rifles toggles. Fixed the problem ??????

Here's the kicker.

I put the 38-40 toggles into the other rifle, it works just fine???????

I'll shoot the 38-40 on Sunday and ensure it's working.

Thanks for the input pards. I'll keep these in the memory banks just incase.

Archived