SASS Wire Forum

value of H & R handi 45.70

in my quest to buy something to shoot up my smokeless 45.70 ammo I found a H & R handi single shot with rear peep and globe front sight in yellow with scratches on the case hardening they said was from storage. they want 375. Is that reasonable? gun broker only had one like it for 360.

Decent price for a Buffalo Classic, perhaps too high for a Handi. From your description, it sounds like a Buffalo Classic, does it have the 32" barrel? H&R, Wesson and Harrington, NEF etc. will probably not be produced again so prices are a little strange right now. Ejector will bring a premium.

I bought a clean .45-70 Handi off the Wire within the last year for $240, I think I got a deal.

Howdy,

Depends on ezzactly what you like or want or need or if you are trying to be compliant with rule book(s).

H&R Handi brings up three pages of new, used or whatever on gunbroker.

Seems like low 200s for most anything on up to 300 for special ones.

If you are SURE those are made no more they might be worth it.

A single shot Winchester goes about triple that iirc.

If you buy it right, take care of it and sell it you might get by pretty cheap.

Any chance you could just borrow one to shoot up ammo?

Best

CR

I have bought several new Handi-Rifles recently on auction from Richie Spring in Mississippi for $212 each. The workmanship has been impeccable, very accurate too. Look for the little square stamp in front of the serial numbers. Supposedly, Handis will be produced on allocation only with different calibers quarterly, only synthetic. I don't know if they will produce the Buff Classic ever again.

The price you stated seems about fair for what it is.

I think these sell new for about $289 and they still make the 45-70. The 45-70s are real thumpers. The rifle is light and the round has a punch.

Handi-rifle production was closed Feb 27th. The barrel accessory program has also closed. Any new handi-rifles you see are new old stock. Prices for barrels have been running high on ebay with many owners realizing the rifles are worth more in parts than whole. Here's a link to a forum that follows the H&R:

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-centerfire-rifles/

I've heard all the rumors too but haven't found them to be true. They have in fact stopped the barrel program, reorganized and assessed the demand (lack thereof) the handi rifle, materials, and calibers. The recently finished an extra large production of 35 Whelens for some reason. Every wholeseller will not be stocking them either. If you log-in to your dealer supplers, you'll see what I mean.

Popular sales are 44 Mag, 30-06, 35 Whelen, 45/70, and 243. I can't disagree.

If you can accept the new handi for what it is, you are getting a well made and very accurate gun for chump change.

I just called H&R 1871 and they state all production of break action firearms has ended. Here's their number: H&R 1871 (1-866-776-9292).

Trigger Mike - If it is a Buffalo Classic, I'd try to talk them down to $350. Be forewarned, you'll need to change the rear sight for SASS. If it is any other model of Handi - rifle, I wouldn't pay more than $200

I own a Buffalo Classic, 2 Target Classics, and a Classic Carbine. I have been very pleased with the Classic line, but not so much with other versions such as the Talon.

• 3 months later...

I have three of these little devils. Of course I was buying dis-continued models even while they were still making the 45-70. I have a H&R Buffalo Classic in 38-55 and a Wesson& Richards Target Model in 38-55. I bought these just for the fun of shooting them and maybe, one day, for SASS. I just bought a H&R in 45-70 and I have noticed that the prices have taken quite a jump.

Not only are they no longer being made, but Ohio just allowed rifles with a straight case for deer hunting. That has just created a new demand for these.

Lone Rider

I recently went on the quest for a 45/70 handi rifle. Here in Texas, a sporting goods chain had new old stock on clearance in 45/70, but only with an extractor, no ejector. Somewhere in the $200 range. I missed out on any of the ones in the local stores, but their computers show supply still in Houston and Lousiana. So, I turned to online aution sites. Found an older NEF in really great shape and paid $225. In my search, I also ran into a 45Colt/.410 survivor model with wood furniture. It appears these were rare in that configuration, so I picked it up for $229. Both rifle have the ejector, so I was happy with the prices.

On the 45/70, I will need to change the rear sight since it was adjutable. it uses a williams sight I can pick up from MidwayUSA for around $30 in parts.

I was looking at the Buffalo Classics and they were all in the price range you mention. This was the reason I turned to the normal handi-rifle. I did get to shoot a club members Handi-rifle in 45/70 at a recent shoot and it was surprisingly nice for the price.

In ND Buffalo Classics are now going for around $350+. I had bought a NIB Buffalo Classic at a gun show last year before they stopped production. I had called H&R so I could get the year of manufacture from them and they told me then that production would end after the 1st of the year. I removed the rear sight and installed a skinner "Black Gold" in its place, I have also added a "3" Creedmore and a 4 round leather stock wrap. It shoot very well, the long range events out to 350+yds is accurate, and looks real good too.

Charlie

• 3 weeks later...

Trigger Mike, If you decide to sell it after you burn the rounds, let me know. I just posted a feeler for a BC here in the Classifieds.

Archived