SASS Wire Forum

Hey Widder!

Key Hay

Got a Marlin 336 for Father's day. Son in law is going to instruct me in the finer points of deer hunting now that we have the land for it (Critter cam is seeing Bucks!). So gonna try some of the marlin tweakin you taught me. Not thinkin of makin a Widdermatic out of it but wanna smooth it out (Kinda rough out of the box). Fit and finish of the rifle is pretty nice.

Have you ever worked on the cylinder style bolts?

Marlin_zpswzi0b2xw.jpg

Buck_zpscq9idyrz.jpg

Howdy KEY.

Congrats on a very nice Fathers Day present.

I've officially never worked on the 336 models. I have worked on an 1895 (45-70) that I owned a few years back.

But basically, my experience is with the 1894.

Once you take it apart, you should notice alot of similarities of your 1894. Yes, they can be smooooothed up.

You will probably gain the most effective smoothness in changing out the hammer spring and the lever plunger spring. Then check for any burrs, etc. Clean it up real nice and you should have a very nice rifle.

Hope we get to shoot together again this year. I plan to be at GOA, Hell Fire in September, and TN State in October.

I was hoping to go to Black Gold in July but my wife is having some foot surgery and it looks like I will be needed around the Bunkhouse.

..........Widder

Archived