SASS Wire Forum

Any shocking cures?

Howdy Pards! Here's my problem. I seem to always get a static electric shock every time I get out of my truck and touch the door. It just ain't my truck. I get shocked from the trucks at work also.ZAP! I'm getting sick and tired of it. It does seem to happen more when the humidity is higher. I have to end up jumping out the truck and slapping the door to discharge without the arc. I get it so bad, it sounds like a sparkplug arc. Yes it's cloth seats in what I drive. Short of rubbing myself down with dryer sheets, anyone have this problem or might have a cure?

A guy I used to work for always kept a quarter in his pocket & held it in his hand to touch anything that might draw a static spark.

If you can find a way to keep a hand on the truck body while you climb out, it'll discharge you as the static charge tries to build instead of all at once.

I use my truck key. Get out, touch the key to the door, and if I was charged, I'm not any more.

When i was younger I wore pigskin driving gloves. I used to wonder why the fingertip of my left middle finger always wore out first. Being the longest finger, it was the one that touched the door first and took the shock I never felt it, but it arced the tip off the glove. :)

When cars had nylon upholstery, it was quite common to see static discharge straps hanging from the chassis, just making contact with the ground when the vehicle was stopped., and kind of flying in the air when the car was in motion. Available at JC Whitney, Pep Boys, etc.

LL

When cars had nylon upholstery, it was quite common to see static discharge straps hanging from the chassis, just making contact with the ground when the vehicle was stopped., and kind of flying in the air when the car was in motion. Available at JC Whitney, Pep Boys, etc.

LL

I would do this.

I would also try

Step 1: BUY A SPRAY BOTTLE -- Pick up a cheap spray bottle at your local dollar store or at Walmart. You can usually find spray bottles in the laundry section. You can also find smaller spray bottles in the cosmetics section.

Step 2: BUY LIQUID FABRIC SOFTENER -- Pick up some liquid fabric softener. You will find this in the laundry section near the fabric softener dryer sheets. Look for blue bottles like Downy. But then save money by buying the store brand next to the Downy! Most stores have a cheaper brand. If you are sensitive to fragrances look for fragrance free brands.

Step 3: MIX IT UP -- You are going to put water and the liquid fabric softener in the spray bottle. Add 2 tablespoons of liquid fabric softener per 1 cup of water. Then shake before each use. You can spray on your clothing to stop static cling (don't spray silk or dry clean fabrics) and you can also spray your carpets and furniture. You can even spray your pet's bed so it won't get static shocks!

I ran into this a lot when Dodge changed their trucks in the 90's. I was designing and testing suspension parts for them so was in and out of the truck a lot during the day. In La, we always have high humidity, so was getting a shock pretty regular

On those, there was a screw holding the door panel on just inside the arm rest. I finally got in the habit of keeping a finger tip on that screw until both feet were on the ground. Not sure you can find something like that on every vehicle though

I use my truck key. Get out, touch the key to the door, and if I was charged, I'm not any more.

When i was younger I wore pigskin driving gloves. I used to wonder why the fingertip of my left middle finger always wore out first. Being the longest finger, it was the one that touched the door first and took the shock I never felt it, but it arced the tip off the glove. :)

I have tried keeping my hand on the door when getting out and the key trick. No good! I still get zapped. :angry:

Have tried rubbing your butt down with a good quality dielectric grease?

I try to keep any kind of grease of my lower extremities.....

The straps work when it's a car you can put them on.

Clothes made with synthetic in the cloth causes static. Women often have more problems than we do. They're more apt to wear nylon and such.

Archived