SASS Wire Forum

.32 H&R Magnum Loading

Captain Bill Burt

I'm about to trade into a pair of 'baby' Vaqueros in .32 H&R Magnum for my middle son, and probably second daughter after him.

I've heard a variety of .32s can be used in these. I would like to know the most commonly used, without 'specific' load data on the thread. I would appreciate PMs with that data though. At this point I plan on buying 100 gr. RNFP bullets and 32 H&R Starline brass. I load my .38s with Clays, but can't find any load data for Clays in that caliber.

Bill,

I use Bullseye and Titegroup. Both give me similar results in velocity and accuracy.

AND, both seemly work great with the 78 thru 100 grain slugs.

I think some excellent bullets can be obtained thru Kid Ziggy, Clarks Bullets, AND... Lead Ringer.

I'll have to wait till I get back home before I can verify my load data.

The .32 H&R is a great round, especially in the 1894 Marlin.

..........Widder

I converted from 45's (still shoot me once in a while) to 32 H&R Mags. I used the same weight bullet you noted with 4227 or Tightgroup. Very happy with the results. Accuracy & power factor are both good.

Charlie

Captain,

PM sent

Rev

Ms. Mary Matilda has used Ruger .32 H&R Magnums for years... her load is simple (using 777 Ffg or Schuetzen Ffg) use enough powder to get some powder compression when seating the 115 grain RNFP bullet. Produces more than sufficient smoke to be legal for SASS. (less compression is needed for 777 than for Schuetzen Black Powder)

Her Rifle is a Marlin in .32 H&R Magnum.... and it is a beautiful site to see using Black Powder loads...

The depth of information available on this site is amazing. One little post and a few hours later I have gobs of information and lots of choices! Wow.

Thanks everyone for the information posted here and the PMs! :):)

It looks like I can buy a thousand or so each of 100 grain and 78 grain .32 H&R from local pards and I can get Starline brass on Midway. I think I'm going to buy some Titegroup and Bullseye to check out a few of the recipes I received. I welcome more input if anyone is so inclined (maybe you Widder when you get back?).

Now to bite the bullet :lol::lol: and look into getting another Dillon, hopefully a 650. There are about to be four in the family shooting and that' s a lot of loading.

I always used .32 S&W Long brass since I had a decent supply, the mag brass is just a smidge longer. I like VV310 under a 100gr bullet. Right now I'm out of VV310 so I'm using VV320. Bullseye is also a good powder to use, it's similar to VV310 and I know a very good gunfighter who loads her .32's with Bullseye. The .32 Long cartridge is efficient, accurate and has been a popular target round for many years, load data is plentiful.

The .32 Long can do anything required in our sport and I can take down knockdowns that some of my friends' .38's leave standing. More than once other shooters have expressed surprise that I'm actually shooting .32's, given their performance.

I always used .32 S&W Long brass since I had a decent supply, the mag brass is just a smidge longer. I like VV310 under a 100gr bullet. Right now I'm out of VV310 so I'm using VV320. Bullseye is also a good powder to use, it's similar to VV310 and I know a very good gunfighter who loads her .32's with Bullseye. The .32 Long cartridge is efficient, accurate and has been a popular target round for many years, load data is plentiful.

The .32 Long can do anything required in our sport and I can take down knockdowns that some of my friends' .38's leave standing. More than once other shooters have expressed surprise that I'm actually shooting .32's, given their performance.

+1 32 S&W Long for smokeless, Bullseye & 80grn Bear Creek Bullet. 32 H&R Mag for smoke, APP & 100 grn BC bullet.

I have loaded the .32 Mag since 1987. My plinking load is a 98 grain LSWC over a modest charge of W-231, AA#5 or Titegroup.

The brass will stay a bit cleaner and the chambers will seal a bit better with something more than the lightest TB loads. The sectional mass of brass (thickness of brass acros the cross-section of the case) is much higher than the .38 Special.

Captain,

Although I ain't back home yet, I have used (tested with a Chrono) Bullseye, TiteGroup, Universal and Unique in the .32 H&R from the 20" Marlin.

The load data I will send you later will be from the 20" Marlin.

I haven't tried any of the other powders mentioned but ifn I get my hands on some RED DOT at a fair price, I would probably try it also.

I'm sending you a PM.

Have a good Thursday!

..........Widder

I've been using Trail Boss with no problems.....and I've resolved my loading issues with 38's by using mirrors to check my powder drop.

KK

Hi, I've tried 115, 100, 80 (moly coated) & 78 grn bullets w/Win 231 and like the 80 grn moly the best, less leading. But they are a real pia to reload because they are slickery & small. :) Staying around a 65-70 power factor for all grns. With regard to Trail Boss I've found it to be very cold temperature sensative (verified by chrony). We used to use it in 45 long colt for Wild Bunch & 45 cowboy special for CAS but kept getting inconsistent loads & then I did a chrony test on loads left outside for 1/2 hr @ 30 degrees vs loads taken directly from the house @ 65 degrees. Definitely cold sensative & yes we do shoot where the morning temps can be in the 30's so this is a factor. Just my experience w/TB of course YMMV.

You've already got plenty of good advice on stoking the hulls.

Now for the hulls themselves.

I may've had a true anomaly, don't know ... but a buddy asked me to run .32 H&Rs for my main match pistols one time, my Single Six on the starboard and his brand new Baby Vaq on the port side.

Brand new 500 unprimed Starline brass.

Cycled flawlessly in the Single Six.

The brand new Baby Vaq with band new brass hung up on thick rims.

Out of 500, I found six with thick rims ... a few passes with a flat file took care of the problem, after the fact ... which didn't help me when I went to ear the hammer back and she bound up.

I've never heard of this happening to anyone else, and mine may've been Fate telling me I should have bought a lottery ticket that day!

For Vixen I use 115 Grain RNFP 32-20 bullets sized down, that takes care of the knockdowns, texas stars etc...

Winchester 231 Powder...

I remember when I showed the Judge some 32 S&W shorts (same powder, bullet etc, but TINY case ) I thought he was going to have a Stroke!;)

Archived