SASS Wire Forum

Slix Shot Nipple Problems

Abilene Slim SASS 81783

Had not been cleaning the hammer but I can certainly try. Most spent caps fall off and the remainder get picked off. This is a first for me and I have shot these guns and a 1860 with the cap rakes for more than a year. I may try your method on my last 1851 that I want for a backup.

PM sent

Cap Guns are Fickle. Some days they just don't like us. :wacko: They (Cap Guns) have streaks of Malevolence. :ph34r: Some even harbor Poltergeist. And Gremlins (no, not the car).

There are times, no matter what we do, a Cap just wanders into the wrong spot and decides to just 'stick" there. :P Caps move of their own volition. :o

I don't think the "rake" caused Pistolero's weird jam. I can't see behind the cap, but, I do recommend using a small half-round diamond file to take the edge off the cap trough and leave a little tasty bevel to help a wayward cap on its way. I also polish the trough. I don't know for sure a polish on the trough accomplishes anything, I just do it. Makes me feel more secure. :)

I have even had a cap stick itself firmly in the slot of a Cap Guard and refuse to budge. :ph34r:

Even heathen suppository shooters have similar problems. High primer thingies, backed out primer thingies, primer thingies flowing back into the firing pin hole. Primer thingies that don't prime. Stuff like that.

There is one constant that we cannot overcome. MURPHY. Murphy's law states, "what ever can go wrong, WILL. At the worst possible time."

Coffinmaker

Cap Guns are Fickle. Some days they just don't like us. :wacko: They (Cap Guns) have streaks of Malevolence. :ph34r: Some even harbor Poltergeist. And Gremlins (no, not the car).

".....but, I do recommend using a small half-round diamond file to take the edge off the cap trough and leave a little tasty bevel to help a wayward cap on its way. I also polish the trough. I don't know for sure a polish on the trough accomplishes anything, I just do it. Makes me feel more secure. :)

Just made this mod earlier today. Broke the (many) sharp edges and polished the trough, which was quite rough. Discovered the the bound caps were actually cutting a groove and trying to polish the trough from pulling the cylinder through.

Gonna test 'em this Saturday. Will post the results.

AR:

Can you post some pics?

Appreciated!

LL

Photos sent via e-mail.

Will send to any other interested Pards.

Send me a PM with your e-mail address.

AR

Hey Deadwood,

If you remember, I was shooting Pietta US Marshall hybrid 51/60's at Kansas State BP match with you. I performed most of Larsen's published mods including the coil spring pawls. I did not fill in my hammer slot but I did break all of the sharp edges on the hammer face and slot then polished the face. I am using slix shot nipples combined with the wolff's reduced power slotted mainsprings marked for use with Uberti.

With those modifications, I have essentially had 100% reliability with both of my Pietta's. However, I have had a cap or fragment come loose and get between the cylinder and recoil shield/trough as you described but the one or two times that has happened, I was able to overcome with additional cocking pressure and continue on. Not only that, I have been using #11 Remington Caps because I have many to use up but the #10's I have tried stayed put a little better.

The only thing I would still like to do to my Pietta's is re-profile the lower back strap profile as described in Larsen's articles because they do not point as well for me when compared to an old army for example.....they point high for me. All in all, they are great little revolvers and I enjoy them very much.

Looks like I'll see you in Lenexa Saturday if that is where you are headed but I will be shooting Old Armies at that one. I am curious to see how things go for you after the additional work you performed....P.S. I'll have my Pietta's with me and you are welcome to look em over.

Just made this mod earlier today. Broke the (many) sharp edges and polished the trough, which was quite rough. Discovered the the bound caps were actually cutting a groove and trying to polish the trough from pulling the cylinder through.

Gonna test 'em this Saturday. Will post the results.

Just got back from shooting them today and they worked flawlessly. (Now if I could only polish my brain. Dang, I had some ugly stages.) :blush:

Apparently it was the rough trough and sharp edges catching the spent caps and causing the jams. The nipples weren't the problem after all. Glad that's been solved!

Thanks for everyone's input. Couldn't have solved this without you.

Archived