SASS Wire Forum

"Flying" Magazine, 1946

Subdeacon Joe

That was fun to look at. My Dad got his pilot's license in 38 and had his commercial license by 39. We had a 39 Aeronca Chief in the family for over 40 years. Also had a Cessna 120 for about 5 years. My Dad sold the Chief to a retired Delta pilot and he has restored it and it's flying again. Too bad he didn't get it finished before my Dad passed.

My dad passed in 2005. Growing up we took vacations in a cessna that he owed. He was an army chaplain from Tennessee and we were stationed in Ft Bragg N.C. I remember landing in farm fields when we went home. He. Built from plans a Fly Baby and flew that until 1975, when he sold it to a woman in upstate New York. According to a search of the tail number it was never registered again. Gave up trying to find it.Anyway, after he passed I inherited a box full of "Flying Magazine from the 40s and 50s. Still have them. What a nice morning trip down memory lane. Thanks Subdeacon Joe. By the way he served as the Army's Chief of Staff of the Chaplains sometime in the middle seventies when General Lindsey died. They referred to him as the "Flying Chaplain". Smartest man I've ever known. Lord I miss him.

Archived