SASS Wire Forum

value of marlin 1895

Trigger Mike

Depends on two questions. Do you have $700 to spare? Is it worth it to you to exchange those $700 for the rifle? All other questions are far below in importance.

For pre-safety Marlin in good condition, $700 is on the upper end of what we see around Tennessee.

My dad recently bought a post-safety model of recent manufacture for $200. The owner fired three shots and realized it kicked too much for him. He threw in a box of 17 loaded rounds and three empty cases.

I have a pre-safety Marlin that's been tweaked a bit that I would part with for $2000.

What kind of scope does it have? That can count for a lot of the cost.

If it has a $400 Leopold scope on it, then the rifle is worth $300. You can always use the scope on another rifle or sell it for $200-300 and still have a reasonable priced rifle. On the other hand, if it's a $40 scope then you might be overpaying for the rifle.

Trigger Mike,

Unless the scope is a high dollar piece of optics, it usually doesn't add anything to the price of the rifle.

Sometimes, the scope mount and rings are worth more than the scope, atleast when you try to deal in a gun store.

Unless you are use to a good 'whallop' on the shoulder by a good 45-70 round, you might want to be cautious using that scope unless you have ample eye relief. You could end up with a split fore head or eyebrow. Its just the nature of how those things are.

I wish I could give good info on that price but I have no idea as to the market value of those at this time.

..........Widder

I just thought of getting one as I have several smokeless 45.70 on hand that does not shoot as accurately as my BP rounds out of my trapdoor and thought it would be a good way to dispose of the unwanted ammo and then resell it afterwards. Keep the BP rounds for the trapdoor and pass it down to the kids if i still have it by then

found a pistol grip marlin 1895 47.70 for 700. has scope mounted on it. what is a good value for one?

A little more detail is needed.

What barrel type? Length? JM stamp on left side of barrel? What model number? Safety? Guide Gun (G)? Ported? Stainless?

700 for REM stamped base model is too much.

DD

It has a Bushnell scope on it. how much does that add to the value of the rifle?

That depends on which one it is. I just looked at one of my distributors and they have 53 models of Bushnell scopes ranging from $120 (Bushnell Banner) to $950 (for the top of their line Mil Dot Elite scope) retail.

The cheap scope will probably not add anything to the price of the rifle. Resale on a cheap scope is virtually almost a give away, it IS a used one. You might get $50 on a good day. A mid to high end range scope could add some value. The $950 one probably isn't going to end up on a rifle of that type. A mid range used one could bring a couple of hundred in value. But that's just me looking at this from a dealers point of view.

i went to a different store today and they had two new ones, one the trapper model with excellent wood for 700 and one normal for 599. the used one has a bushnell scope so i may go see which model and then decide. then again a good point was made in that it seems to be an expensive way to get rid of 60 rounds of smokeless. i may let that one go. meanwhile the dealer said his henry resells for just as good as the marlin, which i found hard to believe.

Archived