SASS Wire Forum

hammer on 44 mag vaquero

I have 2 44 mag Vaqueros with transfer bars removed and the hammers welded. The welded piece that contacts the firing pin barely shows a mark where the contact occurs on one hammer. The other hammer has a much more pronounced indentation where it hits the firing pin. I have not had any malfunction with either gun. Both have been shot close to the same number of times.

Is this common? Anything I should do at this point? Smoking Gator

Howdy,

Call the pard that did the work.

How should we know?

Or do what I do, If it aint broke don't fix it, or even take it apart.

I have some fired thousands of rounds never been apart any further than

a little for cleaning.

Best

CR

Gee, Chili, thanks for the help. With all the shooters that have had this work done, I was thinking I might not be the first to have seen this. West Fargo did the work and I know he's had health issues and I'm not sure he's still working.

Thought I'd try the SASS wire first. A lot of people here have a lot of experience with cowboy guns and the work we do on them. That's why a person might think he might get an answer to a legitimate question. Calm down. Smoking Gator

Howdy,

If West Fargo did the work, I doubt you have anything to worry about.

I would think he is still available for questions.

Havent talked with him in some time.

As Chief AJ says "All rugers are not created equal."

And because of that each one has to be its own special project.

A part that drops right into one ruger might not fit another that looks

identical.

so it follows that modifications of one ruger might be a little different from the other.

Best

CR

My two OMVs only vary by 300 in the serial numbers but seem to work better if I keep small parts in the original guns. (Don't ask).

All mechanical items will have some amount of variance. The gun that you seem concerned about may be the closest to nominal, and the other may be on the edge of tolerance. As long as they both works and do not seem to be incurring unusual wear, keep putting small hunks of lead downrange.

Archived