SASS Wire Forum

WTC Shotgun

Hoss

3 reactive targets. (Swingers, Not knock downs) order is 2-1-3. Had a brain fade, shot it 2-2-1-3. TO laughed and said I got no reward for "bonus". Others said it was a P. Had it been rifle or pistol, no question, it would be a P. However, it seems that since we are allowed make ups on shotgun, could also be a no call, just a made up miss (that happened to hit another target). No doubt I intended to shoot the center target twice, but had I missed it completely on either the first or second shot, there would be no P.

What sayeth the wire?

3 reactive targets. (Swingers, Not knock downs) order is 2-1-3. Had a brain fade, shot it 2-2-1-3. TO laughed and said I got no reward for "bonus". Others said it was a P. Had it been rifle or pistol, no question, it would be a P. However, it seems that since we are allowed make ups on shotgun, could also be a no call, just a made up miss (that happened to hit another target). No doubt I intended to shoot the center target twice, but had I missed it completely on either the first or second shot, there would be no P.

What sayeth the wire?

Not enough info given to "make the call".

Where in the stage directions did it say make ups were allowed on stationary SG targets?

That is NOT an "automatic" allowance...Stage Conventions refer to KNOCK DOWN targets only.

What was the designated round count for the SG?

Need the EXACT stage instructions to make any determination on this one.

FWIW = HITTING the targets "out of order" is a "P" (defined as a "brain fade")

Also defined by example:

• Shooting targets in an order other than as required by stage description.

• Engaging the stage (firearms, targets, or maneuvers) in an order other than as required by the stage description

REF: RO1 p.24

There would be "no doubt" as to shooter's intention if he had done what the stage instructions required.

So...what was the question?

Targets were swingers, but not knockdowns. Club requires some movement of target, this particular club allows reengagement of missed shotgun targets.

My thought at the time was "no call" and I was surprised at the P ( did not argue or appeal call) after reading miss flow chart, I think it was most likely a P. I guess the swinger vs knockdown vs static has me wondering. I just want to make sure I have it right in my mind if I ever have to make the call.

As an aside, I prefer shotgun knockdowns to swingers. I've seen some very questionable "golden BB" calls.

Targets were swingers, but not knockdowns. Club requires some movement of target, this particular club allows reengagement of missed shotgun targets.

My thought at the time was "no call" and I was surprised at the P ( did not argue or appeal call) after reading miss flow chart, I think it was most likely a P. I guess the swinger vs knockdown vs static has me wondering. I just want to make sure I have it right in my mind if I ever have to make the call.

As an aside, I prefer shotgun knockdowns to swingers. I've seen some very questionable "golden BB" calls.

Same here...with no "order of engagement" specified...just "kill 'em all".

Why would it NOT be a "P"??

RT*M...apply as necessary (and in accordance with the stage directions...whatever they are)

I'm in agreement, it's a P. There was just enough "grey area" to make me wonder.

A hypothetical follow up. SXS shooter shoots first 2, reloads 2, and pulls both triggers on 3. Still a P?

A hypothetical follow up. SXS shooter shoots first 2, reloads 2, and pulls both triggers on 3. Still a P?

Were they shot in the right order? If yes, no P If not, then a P.

Firing the extra shot, simultaneously or after a second or two, when it is allowed to shoot makeup shots, would not earn any penalty. Shooter simply can claim, well, I didn't think I hit it, so I shot it twice.

Good luck, GJ

Were they shot in the right order? If yes, no P If not, then a P.

Firing the extra shot, simultaneously or after a second or two, when it is allowed to shoot makeup shots, would not earn any penalty. Shooter simply can claim, well, I didn't think I hit it, so I shot it twice.

Good uck, GJ

Couldn't same argument have been used for the OP?

Sure...the OP can "claim" he missed the second shot & immediately "made it up" as allowed by club/range conventions regarding stationary SG target re-engagement...

problem is, he freely admitted to the "brain fade"...so, if he can live with a "story" that will inject some "benefit of (what) doubt" into the equation, then it's up to the T/O to either give him the "P" or the BOD...

Which one is the honorable path to take?

<_<

That's why what the stage wording was makes so much difference.

Don't get me wrong Im not advocating anything. We live by , if no one saw us screw up then we'll put it on the score sheet ourselves. It was the idea for an excuse "shooter simply can claim" that I think is a bad idea. If you did it OWN it.

Not accusing anyone of anything nefarious...just making the observation that the T/O can only "call what s/he sees" without judging shooter's intent.

If that becomes a factor in the call, then the T/O only has the shooter's word as to what that intent was.

SOME folks would be "less than honest" in answering a question that might determine what, if any, penalty is assigned to a specific action (or failure to act).

Present company excepted, of course.

Archived