SASS Wire Forum

Colt 1860 (Pietta) Hand Spring Replacement article...

Rancho Roy

Wrote an article with lots of pictures about my adventure today installing a Ruger hand spring in place of the flat spring in my 1860 Pietta conversions.

Lots of pictures, too big to post here:

You can read it here:

Thanks

You have an interesting website. I especially enjoyed your description of sleeving and rehabilitating an original Winchester 1873. I am jealous of your skills!

Thanks Roy! Ever since I saw Pettifogger's article I've wanted to do this. Seeing your article has made up my mind. I have two 1860 percussions and two 1872 open tops that I want to modify.

What did you use for the longer pin? Pettifogger used the cut off end of a drill bit but was wondering if that's what you used or something else. I don't have any spare pawl springs and plungers, so I'll order that.

Thanks again!

-JD

You have an interesting website. I especially enjoyed your description of sleeving and rehabilitating an original Winchester 1873. I am jealous of your skills!

+1 - always love to read your articles, they remind me of the skills of some old time machinists I knew as a kid.

Jonny...I have a box of "stuff" and most of it Ruger double action revolver parts. The pins were found i this junk.....But a piece of the drill you used to drill the hole would be a perfect fit. Round off the ends and use a coil spring of the same or slightly smaller diameter and you will be good to go.

Tarheel...Thank you for the kind comments...Much appreciated! I get so much from folks on the internet, I'm just hoping to give something back...

BTW...Shot the two "Tuned Up" Piettas today and they were fantastic. Shot 8 warm up stages at the Tri-State here in Massachusetts and had the best time I've ever had! Nothing like confidence in your guns!

Archived