SASS Wire Forum

Suggested Barrel Length Win 97

Major Forsyth

Pards,

I'm getting ready to cut the barrel on a Win 97 and would appreciate suggestions on length. My Norinco replica (Win 97) Trench Gun is 20 1/4". I was thinking of making it that length but thought I would check and see what others think is best. The current length is 27 1/4"

Thanks in advance.

Major Forsyth

Initally, I would go with 22" and see how that 'feels' for you.

Does it swing well?

Does it feel manuverable?

Can you 'handle' it?

If that don't work, cut some more.

I like mine 18.25" to 20.00".

And although some of mine have a bead, I really prefer no front site.

..........Widder

Here's a minority opinion...

27-1/4" is a great length. I started with a 20" 97, and I really liked it, but I wanted to have one with a long barrel for use in "Cowboy Trap" and other such stuff. I eventually found one with a 28" tube, and just for fun, I tried it at a main match. Well the longer barrel gun is now my primary main match shotgun. I have found that I almost never miss a shootgun target with this gun, but with the shorter tube I would occasionally have to "re-engage" because I failed to properly point the gun at the target. With the longer barrel, it just seems to always properly point exactly where it needs to be to get knocked down.

Some will say that the longer barrel makes it harder to get around props. At first, there is some truth to that, but once you've done it a few times, it does not seem to be a factor at all.

And then I may as well say this before Driftwood does... Once you cut the barrel on an original, there is no going back. It is gone forever. If you really want a short barreled 97, I'd seriously consider getting another one that is already cut, or another Norinco, and leaving the long barrel alone. It'll be a nice extra gun in your collection. If you really have no use for the longer barrel, I'll still say leave it alone and trade it in for one with a short tube.

You asked for opinions, and this one is mine. :)

22" is nice if you get a bulge at the end there is still some left to cut

+1, a pard of mine is cutting one down for me to 22".

Never met a barrel too short. 18 1/4 is just right.

Coffinmaker (shoulda been hacksaw)

+1

Ringer

damn all the good numbers are took GW

21 balances out a 15" length of pull

Only a Pard with an 8 foot wing span is gonna need a 15 inch LOP. :P

Ya big tall glass of root beer. :lol:

Waimea

:FlagAm:

I would caution against getting too close to the legal federal limit of 18". I know of at least one case where an individual was detained and their 18" barrel 97 was confiscated because it "looked like a sawed off shotgun". Sure, everything was eventually dropped, but it only takes a traffic stop and one police officer who thinks he knows the law to make your life a living nightmare. My own personal preference is 22". It is important to note that cutting the barrel, while technically resulting in a "cylinder" choke, can pattern anywhere from "cylinder" to "extra full" due to the barrel making technology of the time. You can envision the inside of your barrel as looking like a wavy road...constricting and opening differing degrees throughout the length of the barrel. You should pattern your gun after cutting to see what your true choke is.

Remember, barrel length is determined by the length from the front of the bolt to the end of the barrel for pumps and autos.

My win 97 is cut to 19 inches. I figure I might drop it eventually and mess up the end, this way I have some extra barrel length to cut and still be legal-eagle.If I ever drop it twice and screw up the barrel, I' ll switch to a SxS.

Also somewhere on the net is a government document that spells out exactly how the barrel length is to be measured. I had a copy at one time, but that was before the move to the new house. If you are concerned about having your gun being confiscated because of barrel length measurement issues, you may want to download the document and keep it in the case with the shotgun.

Last I talked to the gunsmith they measured the barrel by closing the action,

Inserting a 1/2" wood dowel down the barrel and see if the 18" marking was visible or not.

If the barrel is legal then it covers the 18" mark. So in theory if your barrel is 18.00" or longer the mark isn't visible

Last I talked to the gunsmith they measured the barrel by closing the action,

Inserting a 1/2" wood dowel down the barrel and see if the 18" marking was visible or not.

If the barrel is legal then it covers the 18" mark. So in theory if your barrel is 18.00" or longer the mark isn't visible

I don't like anything shorter than 20 1/4 if it is a take down. That way the barrel and magazine stay alined when you take them off the receiver. I know it is not a big thing, but it irritates me on my 20 inch every time I take it apart. Wish I had left another 1/4 inch.

Archived