SASS Wire Forum

Anyone use Titewad for CAS loads?

I normally shoot only the holy black but when I reload for some of my buddies, I can't find Clays, Titegroup, Trailboss or any other favorites. I have an opportunity to purchase a couple pounds of Titewad but never used it before. I know it's a shotgun powder similar to Clays but with no loading data am hesitant to use it.

If you have loads for 45LC or 38SP, PM me. Thanks.

Rev Willy Dunkum

Normally, when there is NO load data available from the manufacturer for a given powder, it's usually because the manufacturer doesn't consider the powder suitable for other than it's intended purpose.

I find it somewhat disconcerting that you might use load information to load for "others" provided by those who also don't have a clue.

Coffinmaker

Titewad is WAY too fast to be safely used in 45LC. The charge is so tiny, you'll have a hard time getting consistent (or any) combustion.

I worked a load up for 38sp that worked okay, but I wouldn't try it in 357 cases as it's, again, very tiny charge.

I'll send you a PM

Perhaps I should have been more clear, the reloads with this will not go into my buddies loads for that very reason. I stay with what little Clays and Trailboss I have for that. I will be using this for myself if I need to. I'll pass on the larger 45/44 cases. I still have some Unique, 296 and small amount of Red Dot. I just have an opportunity to add a new powder to the stable and wondered if anyone has used it for CAS pistol or rifle.

ETR7, scroll down to see loading data ... http://www.expansion-industries.com/ETR7-PISTOL-POWDER-p/etr7-4lb.htm

Read this thread for additional loading data on other links too ... http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?268571-Expansion-Industries. Believe somewhere in the thread 'real handloaders' have used it for 45 Colts

I played around with it for my 45 acp and 38's. I found that it required more than the minimum grains to meet power factor.

There is no loading data for a reason... Titewad as specifically designed for 12 gauge shotgun reloading only....... Read Hodgdons info on it

TITEWAD®

tw1b.jpg

Through advanced technology, Hodgdon Powder Co. has produced a superior flattened spherical shotgun powder. Unlike spherical propellants in the past, TITEWAD features low charge weights, mild muzzle report, minimum recoil and reduced residue for optimum ballistic performance. This outstanding propellant designed for 12 gauge only, meters superbly and is ideal for 7/8, 1 and 1 1/8 ounce loads. As the name implies, "a little goes a long way!" Available in 14 oz., 4 lb. & 8 lb. containers.

It might be specifically designed for 12GA only, but many of our now common pistol powders got their start in the shotgun arena.

In fact, N310 is faster that Titewad on burn rate charts and it's widely used in calibers ranging from 32 all the way up to 45Colt and beyond.

Heck even the old Norma R-1 is faster and it was used in a number of calibers smaller than 38 with much success.

I would say working up loads with titewad would be a job for only the most experienced reloaders as being able to identify high pressure signs is paramount. You could certainly blow a gun up with the stuff.

Interesting read for those that put a lot of "stock" in burn rates...........

Why Powder Burn Rate Is Meaningless

By Randy Wakeman

Perhaps you have looked at various "Burn Rate Charts" and wondered what good they are. Well, you have good reason to wonder. Burn rate charts seldom agree. There is no specific meaning for "burn rate," so it shouldn't surprise us that the numbers don't agree. They mean nothing by themselves.

What amateurs call burn rate is not used by professional ballisticians to develop loads. The actual term closest to burn rate used in interior ballistics is "Relative Quickness."

Relative quickness is defined by "closed bomb tests," which quantify pressure rise in a sealed container. However, professional ballisticians do not use relative quickness for load development, either. A closed bomb relative quickness value does not translate into any type of value outside of that 'closed bomb' test. Powder performance varies widely by actual application. Relative quickness is one of several preliminary considerations when assessing a powder's suitability for a particular application by ballistics, but nothing more than that.

Relative quickness does not tell use the physical shape of a powder, its composition, or the types of coatings. It cannot tell us whether a powder is single-based, double based, or triple based. It does not tell us the heat of explosion, the progressive / digressive gas creation values, the ignition characteristics, and so forth. There is no way to translate a double-based powder performance into a single-based powder performance level with any accuracy. Even further, relative quickness does not define the erosiveness of a powder, the residue left by a powder, its ability to meter properly; and on it goes.

Energy content of nitrocellulose varies by manufacturer. It varies by the amount of nitrogen in the nitrocellulose. The more nitrogen, the more gas a powder can make. Once you have a specific type of nitrocellulose the energy content is further controlled by the addition of nitroglycerin, which is basically what constitutes a double-based powder. Now you have further considerations, as nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin do not behave the same way as temperature changes. The amount of nitro percentage varies by powder to powder, and with it its performance in a specific application.

All this combines to make burn rate charts something to ignore, or to view with very little importance placed on them. Professional ballisticians do not use them at all, simply because they have no particular meaning. Ping-Pong balls are nitrocellulose, but not many of us would bother cutting them up and attempting to use them in a firearm.

A little knowledge can still go far astray ...

Yes the relative Quickness rating can move some either up or down depending upon the application ,But to say We don't use them is a lot of bull. H-4831 is slower burning than Reloaded 19 and will always remain so !!!

Varget will remain Quicker than IMR 4831... (faster burning)

Two powders of wildly varying chemical make-up can have the same burn rate, even though one is double

based ball powder and the other single based flake ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived