SASS Wire Forum

Herding in the Old West

Big Sarge

I've been pondering the cowboys of the real west driving the herds along the famous trails. I've read a lot about driving cattle and horses. I've even read about moving sheep and hogs along the trails. But, I haven't been able to find anything about herding chickens. Did they have chicken roundups and drive them up the Chisholm Trail?? I've never seen a western movie about it, but they had to move chickens somehow. Have any of y'all thought about it???

They kept them on leashes.

Ever tried roping a chicken? And branding?? How do y'all think we got fried chicken?? :wacko:

Nope. But I have vaccinated, debeaked, moved from brood houses to range and range to processing thousands of chickens and turkeys!

If there is a vegetarian with us at Thanksgiving, I tell them that they can have turkey as they are merely vegetables with legs. Nothing dumber than a domesticated turkey. :D

I don't know nothin' 'bout herdin' chickens, but I've read a whole bunch about herdin' turkeys, and drivin' 'em to market, back when "the west" was the Ohio/Pennsylvania border.

SARGE, OF COURSE THEY DID, THATS WHERE KENTUCKY FRIEN CHICKEN OPENED HIS FRANCISES

LMAO ENG

Haha! They carried them around in crates in the backs of wagons, not all that different from what we do now.

You couldn't possibly herd chickens a long distance. The birds are incredibly sensitive to heat. A chicken's natural body temperature is about 102 degrees, so they overheat quickly if doing strenuous activity in the heat. Furthermore chickens require a lot of water, particularly laying hens. Most of the egg is water, and if they lay an egg a day you've got to think they need to drink a lot more than the weight of an egg just to stay alive.

SARGE, OF COURSE THEY DID, THATS WHERE KENTUCKY FRIEN CHICKEN OPENED HIS FRANCISES

LMAO ENG

Now that's a good one!!! Believe it or not, they actually herd ducks in some parts of the world. Here's a video of them being driven and another of a duck stampede.

E Drifter - I know you are correct. I was simply bored and trying to stir up some jokes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoL7b1PYHrg

Archived