SASS Wire Forum

38-90 Winchester Express

Big Sarge

I lucked up recently and bought an H&R 45-70 Buffalo Classic, a 45 Colt Classic Carbine, a 38-55 Target Classic, and an extra 38-55 barrel. I'm thinking about rechambering the extra barrel to 38-90 Express. Has anyone on here ever played with this round? I believe I can make my brass from .405 Winchester. I plan on adding SASS legal sights and I'd appreciate suggestions on these. BTW, I can't find a Wesson & Harrington rear sight. Anyway, the goal is to use it in side matches.

HampR%20Classics_edited.jpg

No, but it wasn't a popular caliber and became obsolete quickly ...

Where to buy brass ... http://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/index_htm_files/RMC%20Product%20List.pdf

Converting the 405's to 38-90? There is no parent case for the 38-90, so you'd best to just buy the brass

Sight? Guess you didn't look on eBay ... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=h%26r%20sights&clk_rvr_id=837634629082&adpos=1t1&MT_ID=69&crlp=39136764042_2416792&device=c&geo_id=10232&keyword=h%26r+sights&crdt=0

Thanks for the heads up on the brass. I cab rechamber to 38-90 for $100 or rebore to 40-65 or 405 Win for $300. SASS legal rear sights are difficult to find

Sarge, I already posted you the link to complete original H&R rear sights and now you say AGAIN they are hard to find. Guess you never read the post and went to the eBay link. Let's try it again!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=h%26r%20sights&clk_rvr_id=837634629082&adpos=1t1&MT_ID=69&crlp=39136764042_2416792&device=c&geo_id=10232&keyword=h%26r+sights&crdt=0

And if for some reason you don't want ORIGINAL H&R rear sights that are SASS approved - you can always put a vernier or peep sight on the stock because there is no tang from the receive

Come on Sarge, give me a break!

And PS ...you better read the manual about legal ammunition if you decide to go to the 405 Winchester - it ain't pre 1898!

I would lean towards .40-65, the same as the .40-60. This cartridge was used in a number of guns and still can be found.

One local cowboy had a 'smith silver solder an original Trapdoor rear sight towards the breech end of his barrel on an H&R single shot. It looks authentic and works pretty well. The numbers on the ladder are not correct, but he made a cheat sheet for standard distances.

Sarge, I already posted you the link to complete original H&R rear sights and now you say AGAIN they are hard to find. Guess you never read the post and went to the eBay link. Let's try it again!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=h%26r%20sights&clk_rvr_id=837634629082&adpos=1t1&MT_ID=69&crlp=39136764042_2416792&device=c&geo_id=10232&keyword=h%26r+sights&crdt=0

And if for some reason you don't want ORIGINAL H&R rear sights that are SASS approved - you can always put a vernier or peep sight on the stock because there is no tang from the receive

Come on Sarge, give me a break!

And PS ...you better read the manual about legal ammunition if you decide to go to the 405 Winchester - it ain't pre 1898!

John Boy - Are your snippy remarks necessary when someone is asking for help????? Your Ebay link shows receiver mounted peep sights. I was looking for something similar to the Wesson & Harrington sight which is easily mounted. Another fine pard on here gave me a link to Brownell's where the Smith ladder sight is in stock. BTW, I mistyped when I mentioned 405 Winchester. I was planning on using 405 Winchester brass because John Donnelly's 'Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions' states the .38-90 Win. Express can be made from .405 Winchester brass. I do appreciate your link to the brass from Rocky Mountain Cartridge.

Reuben - Would I need to instal a false tang to mount a tang sight. I'm concerned about stability

Tom - A Buffington sight might be an option. I never thought of that. BTW, I have a Gemmer Trapdoor in 40-65 and I love it.

John Boy - Are your snippy remarks necessary when someone is asking for help????? Your Ebay link shows receiver mounted peep sights. I was looking for something similar to the Wesson & Harrington sight which is easily mounted. Another fine pard on here gave me a link to Brownell's where the Smith ladder sight is in stock. BTW, I mistyped when I mentioned 405 Winchester. I was planning on using 405 Winchester brass because John Donnelly's 'Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions' states the .38-90 Win. Express can be made from .405 Winchester brass. I do appreciate your link to the brass from Rocky Mountain Cartridge.

Reuben - Would I need to instal a false tang to mount a tang sight. I'm concerned about stability

I have seen them mounted with a inlaid tang and just screwed to the stock. Both seem to work equally well.

Tom - A Buffington sight might be an option. I never thought of that. BTW, I have a Gemmer Trapdoor in 40-65 and I love it.

I was planning on using 405 Winchester brass because John Donnelly's 'Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions' states the .38-90 Win. Express can be made from .405 Winchester brass.

Sarge, I hate to be wrong but I am ... the 38-90 is a simple reform using 405's! I have a table of 1160 conversions that says no parent case for the 38-90. I looked up the 38-90 in my Donnelly's and yep - the 405 is the parent.

Here's what your costs will be:

$147 - Pacific Reamer ...4D doesn't have the reamer for rent

$110 - CH4D FL Die

$ 9 - CH4D Shell Holder

$55 - Hornaday 405 Win Cases - box of 50

$321 - Total and add shipping Then you have to buy sights ... W&H = $169

I'm trying to figure things out. With my TBI, I struggle to get somethings in place. I'm hoping Classic Barrel & Gunworks can fix it for me. I have to gave pretty clear instructions

Archived