SASS Wire Forum

Generator suggestion...Aside from Honda or Yamaha

As the load increased it would die after a minute or so. Why in hell are you trying to diagnose a long ago gen set issue anyay? It is clear you love Hondas. Many can not afford them.

Didn't know it would bother you so much :rolleyes:

:blink:

OLG

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have 2 Honda 2000s, 1 bought in 2004, the other in 2005. They run a 15,000 btu A/C just fine and will cycle up to full bore to run the microwave (800 watt like most RV mikes). We always run the refer on gas when dry camping 'cause wadda' ya' do when the gen's off anyway? Several yrs ago at Creeker's state match it was really HOT & they sorta' extended the 10PM gen 'till around midnight. The Hondas ran for over 10 hrs. each day and did very well. Knowing that 10-11 yrs. is stretching the limit on reliability, we may be looking at replacement down the road. Unless we move up to a motor home but stay with our Montana 5th wheel, it'll be Hondas again for us. BTW, they did really well in Yuma 1 yr. during 108 temps for 3 days.

Just Sayin'

DC

I recollect in Red River that Walter Brennan was running two Honda's off of the chuck wagon and the Duke wanted a nap really bad and shot the generators all to hell.

I thought they were Ryobi's. My bad.

I have been around several and NO they are not to loud. I live in a subdivision out side of town and it amazes me the problems I hear about neighbors.

Most of the time It is just people not minding there own business.

Thus Most of the complaints I hear about gens are just that. People looking for a problem. This old world would be far better off if we could learn to

Love our neighbor I realize there are folks that just are not considerate but some times we need to look the other way.

jmho

I'd like to get back on topic about the Champion 4000. Has anyone heard it at a campground? Was it too loud?

When you plan a vacation for a year and spend a considerable amount of money and time and have it deliberately ruined by an inconsiderate slob you eventually loose your patience. When you ask politely several times for some consideration and are rebuffed forcing you to cut your vacation short you sometimes do things that aren't normally in your character.

Rant off

All i would ask is that if you are going to use a generator be considerate of your neighbors, who wants to sit and listen to a lawn mower run for hours. If that's what your generator sounds like turn it off. Not everyone can afford a 50k air conditioned rig some of us do camp in tents but we still deserve respect.

I'd like to get back on topic about the Champion 4000. Has anyone heard it at a campground? Was it too loud?

Yes I have....

Its a little quieter than many of the "traditional" type generators,

but much louder than any inverter generator I've ever heard

(including the Champion 3100 Inverter, its rated at 58 decibels)

Was it too Loud???

With it about 50 ft away, sitting around the campfire and BSing its noticeable, but not irritating....

As a comparison on that same trip,

there were 2 Honda 2000's a Ryobi 2200 and a Champion 3100 all within 50 ft or less

and the Champion 4000 noise drown out the combined noise of the other three

Thankfully it was shut down by 10pm every nite.

For sleeping anywhere within a 100 ft radius, YES, much too Loud!!

When you plan a vacation for a year and spend a considerable amount of money and time and have it deliberately ruined by an inconsiderate slob you eventually loose your patience. When you ask politely several times for some consideration and are rebuffed forcing you to cut your vacation short you sometimes do things that aren't normally in your character.

Rant off

All i would ask is that if you are going to use a generator be considerate of your neighbors, who wants to sit and listen to a lawn mower run for hours. If that's what your generator sounds like turn it off. Not everyone can afford a 50k air conditioned rig some of us do camp in tents but we still deserve respect.

If I planned my vacation for a year and a slob moved next to me, I would move at least 100 yards away from him. Life is too short for 3 days of misery.

I for one am camping with one now at our state match. Champion 4000. There is no change in that gen wid tha air running or not as it runs at one speed. Mines a good unit very happy with it it runs 11+ hrs on 3 gallons. It's quiet enough. My unit is setting 40' from my camper in tha slide side. There's a motor home 30' foot on the entry side I can hear his running an not mine. I do however camp at the end of tha line when possible as I'm not a fool my friends are beside me. As far as damaging property that's a great way to get hurt

RRR

I'm very new to generators. What are the advantages of the inverter generators?

58 db is a quiet conversation

68 db is a busy highway

Do I need to go further?

We have two generators, a Brigs & Straton 550o Storm Guard and a Onan 8.0 kW.

The Brigs ran for nearly 6 days straight when we lost power due to a tornado a couple years back. No problems, kept the fridge and the freezer cold, ran limited lights and the TV. The fricking phone company's generator kick on and ran during that time, it had a rusted out muffler had to listen to that noisy thing, even though the phone lines where down, some how the natural gas feed to it got turned off, no more noise.

The Onan is the best, it is quite, powers everything, has a 38ft Tiffin wrapped around it. I would suggest the Onan over the B&S.

They make much cleaner power with very close to a true sine wave AC waveform. Non-inverter can possibly damage many electronics. Full size computer could be one. Laptops that put power into batteries - not so much.

Inverter generators generally vary the speed of the generator to the load, since the inverter put out the AC. Inverter generators can be quieter for a given power out but not always. Some folks do not like the constant RPM changing up and down. Inverter generators are usually less powerful than others.

Non inverter generators run at a constant RPM. For a given power out, many of the inverter generators are quieter, but not all.

All generators can be made to run quieter in a campground by adding a stack that pushes the exhaust straight up a few feet. In fact, in some areas when there is a fire threat, some campgrounds require it.

Cleaner sine wave power signal-need to run 'puters and TV use. More efficient.

More info here-

http://www.yamahaef2000is.com/conventional_generator_vs_inverter_generator.html

OLG

Archived