SASS Wire Forum

Question about Young Gun catagory

My daughter is 13 and is shooting her second season in the Buckerette category. Presently she is shooting Heritage Rough Rider .22's, Winchester 9422, and a 12 ga. coach gun. She will be turning 14 this fall. Next year she will be in Young Guns. The Buckaroo rules say to use .22's but the Young Guns says nothing about calibers. Can she continue to shoot .22's in the young gun category?

SHB Page 13 " Juniors are persons aged 16 and under. The category may be subdivided by age and gender.

Suggested divisions are “Young Guns” aged 14 through 16 and “Buckaroos” 13 and under."

Buckaroos” must use revolvers, rifles, and shotguns meeting the external standards but

may be chambered in .22 LR for revolvers and rifles and .410 caliber shotguns. Standard

velocity ammunition for these firearms must be used."

In reading the red highlights, only Buckaroos may use the .22 and .410. Once you get to Young Gun, main match guns are it. Also note, main match ammo, including power factor, need to be used as well.

Hi Ramrod,

Slightly OT; but, still about Junior rules and calibers...

I'm confused about what happens if a MD decided there were not enough children to have both Buckaroo/Buckarette and Young Gun (girl and boy) and uses Junior only. Would it force the B's to shoot the same guns as YGs or could you have shooters using different caliber guns in that Junior Category? I could see this happening if there was only one B and more YGs.

If it forces Bs to shoot the same guns as YGs in Junior, it would force them to potentially have two different sets of guns.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Allie

I've been to many shoots were there was one kid in a lower class. They weren't forced to move and I'd be blown away by any MD that would do that. That is not conducive to "bringing in young" shooters.

Allies that is just silly. Any match director worth their salt would likely NOT insist on conbining kids cats and if they did would allow buckeroos to shoot 22s.

Allies that is just silly. Any match director worth their salt would likely NOT insist on conbining kids cats and if they did would allow buckeroos to shoot 22s.

+1

My daughter is 13 and is shooting her second season in the Buckerette category. Presently she is shooting Heritage Rough Rider .22's, Winchester 9422, and a 12 ga. coach gun. She will be turning 14 this fall. Next year she will be in Young Guns. The Buckaroo rules say to use .22's but the Young Guns says nothing about calibers. Can she continue to shoot .22's in the young gun category?

Yep. Time to start thinking about stepping her up.

But looks like you have some time to let her try a lot of different guns to see what SHE will like.

Put the word out that she is needing to try different guns.

Folks might have some at home to bring for her to try.

Maybe some.

.32's

Model P's

Marlin Carbine

Things like that. They may not have them with them. But if they know she is wanting to

try some.

They will bring them and let her test them out.

Then she can make a choice after trying all she can.

Hi Ramrod,

Slightly OT; but, still about Junior rules and calibers...

I'm confused about what happens if a MD decided there were not enough children to have both Buckaroo/Buckarette and Young Gun (girl and boy) and uses Junior only. Would it force the B's to shoot the same guns as YGs or could you have shooters using different caliber guns in that Junior Category? I could see this happening if there was only one B and more YGs.

If it forces Bs to shoot the same guns as YGs in Junior, it would force them to potentially have two different sets of guns.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Allie

In my opinion, It's the age of the competitor, as far as the Buckaroo/Young Guns go, that determine the gun used. If a MD decided to combine categories, and I don't think we'll ever see that seeing as the youth are the future of SASS, I'd hope the MD would allow B's to use B's guns and YG to use YG guns.

At Winter Range 2015, there were 3 of each in the Buckaroo category and 3 YG Boys and 4 YG girls. That's below the category size as listed, yet each was shot as a separate category.

At the California State Championship, there was 1 Buckarette and 2 Buckaroos with 1 Young Gun Boy and 5 Young Gun Girls. Again, they were not combined.

It makes too much sense to not combine the Kids. Makes it more fun for them, and their parents, and a reason for the kids to keep up with SASS.

Yep. Time to start thinking about stepping her up.

But looks like you have some time to let her try a lot of different guns to see what SHE will like.

Put the word out that she is needing to try different guns.

Folks might have some at home to bring for her to try.

Maybe some.

.32's

Model P's

Marlin Carbine

Things like that. They may not have them with them. But if they know she is wanting to

try some.

They will bring them and let her test them out.

Then she can make a choice after trying all she can.

If revolver size is an issue look at the Uberti Stallions. Cimarron and Taylors sell their versions as well. Same size frames as her 22s but in 38 Special. If you shoot 38 short colts in them; you get a nice low recoil load that will make power factor.

I used to have a nice set of OM Vaquero's until my Buckarette (now a Young Gun) shot them. Now I use my Blackhawks. No getting them back -ever. She loads her own ammo to her preference.

I agree it shouldn't be done. However, I do remember seeing a Junior category only. I do not remember ages of people in it or when/where it was.

Wow! I thought there were no dumb questions... Silly me.

I used to have a nice set of OM Vaquero's until my Buckarette (now a Young Gun) shot them. Now I use my Blackhawks. No getting them back -ever. She loads her own ammo to her preference.

:)

That's great.

See so many make the mistake of making there wife or kids shoot whatever they have laying around

and not using.

Instead of.

Letting the wife or kids PICK what THEY want to shoot. AND. In the caliber they want to shoot.

Not force them to shoot a .45 if they don't want to.

Then they wonder WHY the wife or kids don't want to shoot with them.

Have seen a wife stop shooting because the husband did not want to load two different loads. :(

He liked heavy. She did not. He would not change for her. :angry: (lazy)

So she stopped shooting.

OH.

And have them cut to fit THEM.

I agree it shouldn't be done. However, I do remember seeing a Junior category only. I do not remember ages of people in it or when/where it was.

Not a dumb question at all.

Just have never seen it.

Hope I never run into that club or MD that does that.

SASS rules are clear, Buckaroo's and Buckarette's are the only categories that permits the use of .410 shotguns and .22 caliber rifles and pistols.

As a match director, I will always honor Buckaroo's, Buckarettes and all Young Guns even if there is only one in the category. We actually give awards for each one that enters. That includes the Maryland State shoot and the New Eartern Divisional "The Mason Dixon Stampede."

Roo

Well Thanks....I think :unsure:

I juuuust got her all set up last year. Under our new Safeact we cannot start our kids shooting .22's here in NY till they are 12 years old. I was hoping to get a few more years out them. Guess I should have started with .32's. My mistake.

She definitely loves the sport so I guess I'm going gun shopping this winter. Hey wait??? :huh: Gun shopping is good news! :D

Sure wish I could buy guns from these here classifieds. Also banned under the Safeact. :(

Hi again,

I'm glad to know that most posters see Junior split.

Following is the line of thinking that led to my question. Forgive me PWB.

The rule says this, "SHB Page 13 'Juniors are persons aged 16 and under. The category may be subdivided by age and gender.

Suggested divisions are 'Young Guns” aged 14 through 16 and “Buckaroos” 13 and under.'"

Now consider another part of the Buckaroo category requirements.

"“Buckaroos” must use revolvers, rifles, and shotguns meeting the external standards but may be chambered in .22 LR for revolvers and rifles and .410 caliber shotguns. Standard velocity ammunition for these firearms must be used. Knockdown targets are not required to fall for Buckaroo Category shooters. A hit will be scored as long as the target is clearly hit. An alternate target MUST be provided for all aerial shotgun targets for Buckaroo category competitors."

Should the part quoted by Ramrod, be changed to indicate that, if there are any shooters 13 and under the category must be subdivided by age? I ask this because if it is not subdivided you have Buckaroos who don't have to hit fliers, may use .410 and .22s shooting against Juniors who do are not exempt from hitting fliers or knocking down KDs and may not use .410 or .22.

If what I suggest was not the original intent, it appears that it is now. :unsure:

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS I hope to never see someone's questions called "silly" again.

you can't fix something that taint broke...

In all my travels and all the many shoots I've been to, I have never once seen a problem with buckeroo/buckerette and young guns.

only problem I've ever seen is people allowing buckeroos miss the shotgun target noticeably and not requiring them to shoot again.

In all my travels and all the many shoots I've been to, I have never once seen a problem with buckeroo/buckerette and young guns.

only problem I've ever seen is people allowing buckeroos miss the shotgun target noticeably and not requiring them to shoot again.

+1

Had that at a State match a few years ago.

Missing the target by a mile.

Pulled the parent to the side and told them she had better start hitting them.

As all spotters have been told to call misses from now on if she did not.

He just kind of grinned. He know they was pulling a fast one.

But. She even started knocking them all down after that.

+1

Had that at a State match a few years ago.

Missing the target by a mile.

Pulled the parent to the side and told them she had better start hitting them.

As all spotters have been told to call misses from now on if she did not.

He just kind of grinned. He know they was pulling a fast one.

But. She even started knocking them all down after that.

This is a good point to make right here. Forgiving misses, procedurals, etc. is doing the young shooter a disservice. They need to learn and want to do it fair and square. And if there is another young shooter that would have won otherwise, it ain't cool. Do them a huge favor and call 'em like you see 'em.

when my then 13 yo decided he wanted to get involved with CAS i bought him a pair of Heritage 22s and took him to the range. He fired 5 rounds out of each gun and then picked up my 38s. Never touched the 22s again. Had to order him a set of 38s the next week. And by the way he was the one to get us into CAS. The folks were so friendly I decided to give it a try myself. Now the Warden is about to start and she was fine with my 38s until another shooter let her try their 32s. Guess what I'm looking for now.

You might consider giving Grizzly Dave the benefit that he was referring to the hypothetical situation as silly and not you personally or even your question.

+1

You might consider giving Grizzly Dave the benefit that he was referring to the hypothetical situation as silly and not you personally or even your question.

My brother says I am obstinate. I don't know what that means yet, but it is probably not wise to call Ms. Allie obstinate. She is old seasoned wiser than most of us, at least me, and probably knows what obstinate means and willin' to give us what fer!

We allow and honor both B&B's as well as YG's with only one in any of those category's at our monthly shoots and State shoot. And we give out awards for each even with just 1 shooter. It makes them feel good and want to keep shooting. We have several B&B's that have already transitioned to 32's or 38's and a12 gauge. Only one I can think of still shoots a 410.

Archived