SASS Wire Forum

Decoration Day

"Decoration Day"...... yes, I have heard that term and in this area, it is used every year this time when gravesites are decorated with American Flags, spring flowers and sometimes, small ornaments of sentimental memory.

..........Widder

Decoration Day was the term used for the decorating of the gravesites of Civil War dead, begun in 1868 and observed on the 30th of May. Over time it became known as Memorial Day, a day to honor all soldiers who had served and died, regardless of what war and whether they wore blue or gray. It also was moved to the last Monday in May.

Howdy,

My Dad packed up the family and drove the length of Illinois for Duckeration Day.

That's no kind of joke that's how he pronounced it.

His Grandfather was in the Missouri Mounted Cav on the Union side.

My Dad said his only memory of him was his funeral.

I got to see some cousins once a year and remember picking strawberries for dessert.

The uncles and cousins smoked like crazy and saved on matches by lighting one smoke off of another.

Most of them died early of cancer.

My Dad didn't smoke and outlived his brothers by 30 years.

Best

CR

ps-I stopped smoking and budget a pack a day toward hobbies.

Decoration Day was the term used for the decorating of the gravesites of Civil War dead, begun in 1868 and observed on the 30th of May. Over time it became known as Memorial Day, a day to honor all soldiers who had served and died, regardless of what war and whether they wore blue or gray. It also was moved to the last Monday in May.

+1

Same here. Might be something we do in The Republic; possibility other deep south states do the same

Memorial Day: Celebrated the last Monday in May, Memorial Day is the holiday set aside to pay tribute to those who died serving in the military.

The website for the United States Department of Veterans Affairs recounts the start of Memorial Day this way:

“Three years after the Civil War ended, on May 5, 1868, the head of an organization of Union veterans — the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) — established Decoration Day as a time for the nation to decorate the graves of the war dead with flowers. Maj. Gen. John A. Logan declared that Decoration Day should be observed on May 30. It is believed that date was chosen because flowers would be in bloom all over the country.”

The passage of the National Holiday Act of 1971 by Congress made it an official holiday.

To Mike Ball - WHS Class of '66 Rest in Peace

I used to hear that when I was a kid in the 50's, not anymore!

You have to be of a certain age to know that and it helps to be east of the Rio Grande.

On this Memorial Day reach out to those who serve past and present and honor those no longer gathered at the fire.

Olen

www.texassouthplainshonorflight.org

General Order
No. 11

Headquarters, Grand Army of the Republic
Washington, D.C., May 5, 1868

I. The 30th day of May, 1868, is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country during the late rebellion, and whose bodies now lie in almost every city, village, and hamlet churchyard in the land. In this observance no form or ceremony is prescribed, but posts and comrades will in their own way arrange such fitting services and testimonials of respect as circumstances may permit.

We are organized, comrades, as our regulations tell us, for the purpose, among other things, "of preserving and strengthening those kind and fraternal feelings which have bound together the soldiers, sailors, and marines who united to suppress the late rebellion." What can aid more to assure this result than by cherishing tenderly the memory of our heroic dead, who made their breasts a barricade between our country and its foes? Their soldier lives were the reveille of freedom to a race in chains, and their death a tattoo of rebellious tyranny in arms. We should guard their graves with sacred vigilance. All that the consecrated wealth and taste of the Nation can add to their adornment and security is but a fitting tribute to the memory of her slain defenders. Let no wanton foot tread rudely on such hallowed grounds. Let pleasant paths invite the coming and going of reverent visitors and fond mourners. Let no vandalism of avarice or neglect, no ravages of time, testify to the present or to the coming generations that we have forgotten, as a people, the cost of free and undivided republic.

If other eyes grow dull and other hands slack, and other hearts cold in the solemn trust, ours shall keep it well as long as the light and warmth of life remain in us.

Let us, then, at the time appointed, gather around their sacred remains and garland the passionless mounds above them with choicest flowers of springtime; let us raise above them the dear old flag they saved from dishonor; let us in this solemn presence renew our pledges to aid and assist those whom they have left among us as sacred charges upon the Nation's gratitude,--the soldier's and sailor's widow and orphan.

II. It is the purpose of the Commander-in-Chief to inaugurate this observance with the hope it will be kept up from year to year, while a survivor of the war remains to honor the memory of his departed comrades. He earnestly desires the public press to call attention to this Order, and lend its friendly aid in bringing it to the notice of comrades in all parts of the country in time for simultaneous compliance therewith.

III. Department commanders will use every effort to make this order effective.

By command of:

JOHN A. LOGAN,

Commander-in-Chief.

In my family as I was growing up, Memorial Day was a day to decorate the graves of anybody and everybody without regard to military service or sacrifice. As I got older I learned what it really was, but family tradition says Aunt Mary gets flowers.

Archived