SASS Wire Forum

buying whicker furniture

Trigger Mike

i have been told e need whicker furniture for the sunroom that overlook a pool. i know walmart sells them for 200 but home depot for 800. I assume the quality if vastly different. how long will the 200 walmart whicker hold up if kept in doors?

I don't know about how long it'll last, but I'm pretty sure the less expensive furniture won't hold as much weight as the other. Around my house that's a concern.

If you do buy the Wally World - paint it - it will last longer.

I see a lot of wicker at auctions and estate sales - that tells me that most people don't care too much for it.

- Boneyard

We have some wicker that is 30 years old and still looks great and had some that was less than 15 that was junk. I think it depends on where you get it. Basically you get what you pay for.

Plastic wicker.....we have some patio stuff that is falling apart. It is about 8 or 9 years old. I think the UV damage it get eventually will ruin it. We live at 6800' and anything plastic or vinyl starts falling apart a lot sooner that you would expect it to. Vinyl siding on buildings doesn't last long before it starts to oxidize, crack and split.

Just my experience.

Most of the people that I know around here have metal type patio furniture, they have cushions on them, seat and back, they tie on and it works great, now here in Iowa they have to take them and put away for the winter because of the snow and cold, just a thought.

All for now JD Trampas

Try Pier One for wicker furniture. My wife has some from there that is twenty years old, has been abused during a couple of moves, and is still soldering on.

She did paint it, which helps protect it from the elements, but nothing protects it from being bumped and dropped.

Rattan is a type of wicker.

You can usually find some nice wicker/rattan on Craigslist. I found a set made by Lane Venture, which was in near perfect condition, for $75 (table, chairs, sofa, end table, arm chair). If I had bought it new, it would have been $2000.

Archived