SASS Wire Forum

Great Names

Aunt Jen

I'd put this in car thread, but it's a different topic so here now.

In a good way, I'm still laughing at name "Worthless" with dog owner Alpo. It brings a smile to me, and that's worthy. :)

I see in my mind dog who "won't do anything," such as hunt, point, keep intruders away, chase cats or anything. My mind sees Worthless walking around with a smile in her face, tail wagging large, wanting to Play and eat...maybe digging up part of the garden...with her frustrated daddy watching her, shaking his head.

And if course Worthless has no idea of Daddy's expectations. She just knows he's great and she's lived.

So cute.

That is what the names Worthless and Alpo bring tonmind for me. :)

I like the name myself. I've never had a pet with what I would consider a "great" name. We did have a cat named Max, because when he meowed he sounded like Professor Fate in The Great Race when he would say "Maaaaxxxx." Best cat I've ever known. My wife got him for me as a birthday present when we were in San Antonio during Desert Storm. As a kitten, he would come flying through our postage stamp sized apartment dragging one of my combat boots, which weighed more than he did, by one of the laces. When it caught on something, it would spin him around and he would look wild-eyed and run off. When we moved back to Ohio, we needed to move in with my in-laws briefly. They had several cats, including one big SOB named Lodi that weighed close to 20 pounds and was mean as heck to the other cats, especially my wife's cat that we had to leave with my in-laws. Max, who weighed maybe 12 pounds (I'm guessing), came into the house, and immediately went nuts on the biggest con in the prison. Max hated him-and just him- with a passion, for reasons unknown. Tried to go after Lodi through a plate glass window once. Funny, after that Lodi wasn't anywhere as aggressive, especially with my wife's cat. Both Max and my wife's cats were gray tabbies. Not sure if that had anything to do with it or not. Though I'm a confirmed "dog person," I've met cats I've liked, and a few I've loved. Max was something special.

My wife and I have had three pairs of cats. Each time one was a purebreed and one was from the shelter. Each time one had a name that started with J and the other did not. Twice the J-cat was a purebreed and once it was a rescue animal.

The cats with the J-names were protective of us by lettig us know when soneone approached that house, They were constant companions and were dearly missed when they died.

They other cat in each pair was average and just seeemed happy to be there.

We are tlking about getting another paor when these two pass and naming both of them with J-names.

Our first dog was Fagan, an Irish Setter named for the pickpocket in Oliver Twist.

Our second dog was Olivia, a German Shepherd; can't name a female "Oliver."

Our third dog was The Artful Dodger, just Dodger for short, a black Lab.

We now have a black cat, Charles Dickens, Charlie for everyday purposes.

No telling where we might go from here, but I suspect the Dickensian theme will prevail.

Our first dog was Fagan, an Irish Setter named for the pickpocket in Oliver Twist.

Our second dog was Olivia, a German Shepherd; can't name a female "Oliver."

Our third dog was The Artful Dodger, just Dodger for short, a black Lab.

We now have a black cat, Charles Dickens, Charlie for everyday purposes.

No telling where we might go from here, but I suspect the Dickensian theme will prevail.

Interesting. And Matt Damon's character in Clint Eastwood's "Hereafter" was also a strong dickens fan.

May I ask about that?

What is it about him or his writing that you enjoyed so much?

Interesting. And Matt Damon's character in Clint Eastwood's "Hereafter" was also a strong dickens fan.

May I ask about that?

What is it about him or his writing that you enjoyed so much?

I'm afraid the answer is not terribly interesting. My wife and I saw the musical "Oliver" while dating and both of us loved Ron Moody's portrayal of Fagin..."You Got to Pick a Pocket Or Two", you know. So we chose the Irish spelling for our setter after we married and bought a house. After that it was just a whimsical decision to continue naming pets after characters in the movie. It became challenging matching the names to the animal's personality. Charlie is a little dickens so it fits.

I have read a couple of Dickens's novels but find them exhausting. He was paid by the word and it shows. I can't say he is anywhere near a favorite author for me. A Christmas Carol is one of my all time favorite stories, though.

Sorry I can't offer a more intellectual reason! ;)

Our dogs have all had relatively average names. It is the nicknames that they earned and responded to that are amusing. Harley, our registered Dalmation was called Weasle, spelled wrong on purpose. He would shove his head between me and Schoolmarm and weasel his way in between us on the couch or a bench, and the sit there looking back and forth at us no matter where we were. He would shove his head between our feet at bedtime and crawl under the covers and twist and roll until he reached our pillows. He slept between us for fourteen years. We'd lock him out of the bedroom for a while most nights.

Harley's son, Traveller, (spelled with two Ls like Robert E. Lee's horse) was our special doggie. Before his eyes opened, he'd crawl out of the dog bed and wander out of the bedroom and down the hall, thus the name Traveller. But the name that stuck was Butthead. He was, for lack of a better description, autistic. You didn't deviate from his routine or he would be lost as last year's Easter egg. He had to be fed at the same time, in the same bowl, at the same spot. He would stand in the rain and you could see him wondering why he was getting wet. Schoolmarm couldn't get him to take a bath, (I'd have to force him into the tub and hold him while she bathed him) but she could vacuum him without any problem and he seemed to enjoy it. The stories of Butthead are too numerous and too lengthly to continue here. He loved potatoes any way he could get them, even raw, and would go to enormous lengths to get them so he was also known as the "Tater Gator". Your french fries were always at risk around him.

Our current mutt is Jezebel, a pit bull/boxer mix. She is a rescue that I brought home when she wandered up at the shop where I worked one afternoon. She is pigeon toed both front and rear, and has these enormous human like eyes that show a lot of white and are rimmed completely in black. She looks like she is wearing eye liner. She has mostly brown and white markings with her head divided one side brown and the other side white. The eye on the white side is surrounded by a brown spot. She has this way of wiggling and contorting in a dance whenever she is excited and she rolls her eyes like a drunkard and bounces around like a bucking bull. She became "The Boobie" before we'd had her home a week. She went into her dance one afternoon when Schoolmarm pulled up in the front yard on her motorcycle, and I called her a "Goggle eyed, pigeon toed Boobie!" and it stuck.

In all three cases, the dogs responded well to their nicknames. If they heard their proper names, they knew they were in trouble, just like a kid.

I love the bit George Carlin does about a dog named $%^&, Think of the things you say to a dog named $%^&

"Bad $%^&

Good $%^&

Eat $%^&

Heal$%^&

Lie down $%^&

:lol:

I love the bit George Carlin does about a dog named $%^&, Think of the things you say to a dog named $%^&

"Bad $%^&

Good $%^&

Eat $%^&

Heal$%^&

Lie down $%^&

:lol:

:D I loved George Carlin, Richard Pryor... :):D so funny, and George is right! I once knew someone with a dog named Dam*&%, and it was so funny.

Good dog. I hope the name was conferred with love and humor. :)

This is Tippy, the black dog with the white tip on his tail, explaining to Red (maybe 8 weeks old) who Boss Dog is. You can judge size using Mama's foot for scale.

TippyandRed5.jpg

I had, originally, planned to name him Snoopy, but there were close to fifteen Snoopys in our neighborhood, so he's Red Baron. But - a black and white dog named Red. :blink:

He got bigger, but Tippy was still Boss Dog.

MightyhunterMay69.jpg

Red was the last dog that I actually named. After him I just let them name themselves. Just wait. They'll tell you what their name is, if you just give 'em time.

I had a pit/doberman cross, named Knucklehead. My biker friends kept insisting he was named after a Harley, but I came to believe he was the reincarnation of Knucklehead Smiff.

Had a little brindle bulldog one time. She showed up on my front stoop. Probably less than six months old. About half starved, and with a bloody bandage on the stump of her tail. I believe she had just been docked. :o After a couple of weeks she was responding to Trouble.

My last one, although the gal that gived her to me said her name was Ivy (because she's the color of Godiva Chocolate), I realized, within a year of her being with me, that that weren't her name. She was Big Brown Dog.

DogIvy.jpg

Now this'un - when I got her, last year, she had a plate on her collar that said her name was Linda. Linda? She did not look like a Linda. So for about two weeks I just referred to her as Nameless Yeller Dog. Then one day she told me her name was Worthless.

Our first house cat was Pfenning. Named for a German coin. At the exchange rate of the time, it was worth 1/400th of a dollar. She was worth every penny.

Let's see if I can remember the names of all our dogs from when I was a kid until now. Archie, Banachek (both named after two of my dad's favorite TV characters), Midnight, Gidget, Peanut, Ruby, Bugsy, Kodi, Buttons, Biscotti, and Waffles. We lost Buttons and Kodi last year at 15 and 13 yo each. Had them and Biscotti and Waffles at the same time.

The Bunkhouse Boss and I had a couple Cocker Spaniels a few years back that had a litter.

We kept ONE of the litter and named him... Crockett. Being from TN, it seemed appropriate.

..........Widder

Maxine, a camp dog at Cam Rahn Bay.

She didn't belong to anyone in particular, came and went as she pleased, and was there when someone needed comforting.

Don't know what breed she was and have no idea who named her. Somewhere along the line someone had cared enough to have her spayed

She kept herself clean and would once in awhile join someone in our community shower.

She was a very feminine beastie and was a pleasure to have around. The name Maxine just seemed to fit.

Last 30 some years we have had a miniature white poodle named Prissy, a sable Collie named Kelsey (that was the name or her collor when we adopeded her from the shelter, a tri color collie we named Lady as she sort of had a wiggle when she walked, another tri color collie named "Swans song of the night" that we called Mellody, and finally still with us today is a part English pointer and part Lab, we named Aristotle (ARI for short) because hes so smart! My wife pointed out to me that Ari as taught me to get his ball for him when he thought he was being ingored? Ari would mess with the ball until he managed to push it under a chair or sofa, out of his reach and then just sit and look at ME. Naturally being sorry for him that he couldn't get his ball, I would get up and retrieve it for him. Sometimes I would do that 5 or 6 times watching an hour TV show!!! My very astute wife told me to watch Ari and I could see for my self what he was doing... My wife always said I was untrainable until Ari came along. Now my beautiful wife and Ari have teamed up to teach me more stuff to do, like vacuuming!!! I don't stand a chance! :D

Don't know where to start. At four I had a Cocker Spaniel named Sandy, then a wirehaired terrier named Shamrock. Dad named him after the mascot they had in WW2. Neither of them lasted very long. That was the end of my dogs until I got married as my folks were not dog people. While stationed in England we bought a Dandie Dinmont Terrier we named Todd.He was with us for 14 years. Then I discovered English Springer Spaniels. If you have a Springer and a child neither will ever be without a playmate. Our first was named Chumleigh, followed by Maggie Mae,and Ginger. Ginger was supposed to be Peggy Sue but my daughter was a dancer and I was over ruled by her and my wife. Then we got a Golden Retriever who's name just had to be Fred. Fred and Ginger graced our lives for 14 years and were beyond special. We rescued Fred and have had nothing but rescues ever since We got another Dandie Dinmont through the Rescue already named Danny. Since then we have had a 90 lb St Bernard mix named Buddy and currently have a Golden English Springer mix with yellow eyes named Amber. In between we have fostered dogs for our local rescue and have found homes for a Chihuahua named Pinky, a Rat Terrier, and a Pug named Penny that I should have kept.,

Love talking about my critters.

Cats:

• Inky: First cat. Killed by a Boxer when still a kitten.
  • Boots: He lived with me growing up. He lived to be 14. I think he was a Maine Coon. Very big boy.
  • Blackie: I left him with my parents when I got married. My dad loved him. He was a dog chasing, don't mess with me part Siamese, BA cat. :D
  • Fat Rat: Ornery, plump, black part Siamese bird-catcher.
  • Spooky: Sweet boy. His parents moved to Australia and left him with us.
  • Piggy: Sweet boy. Lived to be 18. He would stand on his hind legs to beg for people food.
  • Marie: She made a Mer-ee sound. Sweet climbing kitty. She woke us up one night on the wall standing on a painting trying to get a bug.
  • Lucy: Bratty like the Peanuts character. The vet had vicious on her file. She was Piggy's BFF. He brought her home
  • Rosie: We rescued her at a party by the Sacramento river. She was starving. When I took her to the vet the first time, she had ear mites and I wanted her spayed, the vet said she probably wouldn't live long and never go into heat. Within a month she went into heat. She lived with us for 16 years after that.
  • Fluffy Butt: Beautiful Himalayan. She was really the neighborhood's cat.
  • Two stray cats didn't stay long and I forget what we called them. I remember what they looked like. One disappeared, a beautiful Himalayan, the other, huge tabby, had FIV so, I had him put down... :(
  • Pitiful: Big grey boy. He came to us ill and didn't last long; I forget if he had leukemia or FIV.
  • George: Beautiful male calico, mostly white with a little orange and black. Came to us with a broken leg. He healed then got run over.
  • Boom Boom: Short for Boomerang because if you'd put him off the bed; he'd keep coming back.
  • Pinto Bean: From her coloring she was a black calico. Her owner moved away (not very far) and she kept coming back to live on our front porch. Finally, we talked to her owner and both decided she would stay with us.
  • Gee: Gray Boy. Another big BA kitty. He hated Obie until we moved. Then, he decided it was his duty to bathe Obie.
  • Mer-Ow: From a sound he made. He was feral and never would let us touch him. Although he begged for food, which we couldn't leave our or some disgusting critter would eat it and poop on the porch. He brought me presents and put them in front of my "Woman Cave" window. He's the only cat that ever brought me a rabbit. We could never catch him to neuter and he disappeared one spring.
  • Obie: Orange Boy. Although I loved them all; Obie, Marie, and Piggy have been my favorites. Obie is 16+ years old, has diabetes, and I think is close to death. He is hardly eating now. :(
  • Francie: She is a beautiful fluffy ginger. I got her from the rescuers at a Pet Smart pet fair. She was so skittish when we got her. She has finally got over that and is the best hunter we have ever had. I call her a "full service cat" now as she is lovey, comfortable with us now, learned to talk when spoken to, and hunts. ;)

Only Dog: Gobbledy Gookey pedigreed name, which I don't remember except it had First in Goal as part. When we got him, his first mom called him Touchdown or TD for Tri-Color Dog. I think TD came first then the GG name. We call him TD or Tee. He was given to me, at age two by a show-dog person, as he wasn't show quality. His daddy was and won Best of Breed, Smooth Collie, one year at Westminster. In my opinion he wonderful. He is my shadow. When I am home, he spends almost every minute with me.

Here are photos of my current beloved fur babies. :wub:

This is Obie and TD on one of our daily walks.

558997_3554358347154_118688463_n.jpg?oh=

This is Francie, the Hunter. Luckily, she has not decided that she needs to leave the fenced yard.

11253949_10204086553033616_2837287274437

Thanks, Jen for the thread, writing this has brought me some happy thoughts.

Regards,

Allie

My cousin had a dog he called Brains, short for S**t for Brains.

The cat napping on my bed is named Kringle. He walked-on two Christmases ago, and the grandkids wanted to keep him. So we did.

Archived