SASS Wire Forum

Texas Senior Games at Ft. Parker

Starting last Friday the Texas Senior Games were held at Fort Parker and I for one had a great time. Mind you, the weather I went through to get there was really bad. The muck we shot in was exactly that, mucky. Due to forecasted even worse weather we went ahead and shot seven stages on Saturday and left three for Sunday. Several choose to not continue due to ground conditions and forecasted weather. I can not blame them. It was a decision each had to make for themselves. I am happy I continued on and must say that despite conditions I had a really good time.

Hats off to Kow Katcher and Bent Barrel Betty for pulling off this match. I have no idea who all were their right hand helpers but hats off to those people as well. Stages were good in my book. Had one that I fretted over and knew I would get a P on. If anyone can get a P it is me. Well, once I started shooting the stage I realized it really was no big deal at all. Survived the stage which made me a happy camper.

Will not list the names of all my posse members cause I may leave one out but I will say that Posse 9 was a great posse for me. I believe we had 14 with some non-shooting spouses to boot. If memory serves me correct only one of our posse choose not to shoot Sunday and that fella came out and shagged brass and helped out in anyway he could despite the fact he did not shoot the last three stages. Thank you Petticoat Chaser. Also happy to have had on my posse Tennessee Tall and Rio Drifter out of Florida. Beings as I don't go hardly anywhere I may never run into them again but hope some of the rest of you do. They tend to travel quite a bit and shoot with many different clubs and are a pleasure to shoot with. The others on my posse I sure hope to get to see and shoot with again since they were awesome.

Looking forward to the State Match next May at Fort Parker!

See you down the trail,

Dream Chaser

We just couldn't handle any more mud. We've never shot in conditions like that. Not blaming them for the weather-that's beyond their control. But there comes a time when it's more unpleasant to continue than to walk away. I'd guess about half the shooters felt the same.

Hopefully we can go there again when conditions are better.

We have decided that we will never even attempt to shoot in mud like that again. It was an eye opening experience.

Im sorry I missed shooting with yall ...I would have been right at home in the mud& muck....Just Like Greenville...LOL

Maybe next year...I know that was a good shoot despite the weather ;)

Hats off to those who put on this match and hats off to those who persevered and finished the match on Sunday.

Sad to say, we were not among them. With an hour of hard rain behind us and 3 hours of 100% chance predicted ahead, we packed it in. When the rain stopped, I was not about to unpack everything and take the chance of shooting. I am glad the weather held off and the hardy souls were able to finish.

I fully agree that the match was fun, and everyone did an outstanding job. Wished we had finished as well, but we are more happy that we listened to my "inner voice" that said to head home.

Looking forward to Defend Old Fort Parker in October, and then Texas State next May. Rooms booked and applications will be sent soon.

I wish to thank Kow Katcher and Bent Barrel Betty for putting on a great match. The "Fastest Derringer" and "Fastest Pocket Pistol" stage was the best and fairest stage I have every shot. The table was setup and clearly marked as to gun placement and starting positions. The timer was in a marked location so that the shooter could only operate it without touching his firearm. It was up to the shooter to start his time by releasing the instant button on the timer. The firearm was held in one hand with the barrel touching a spot on the table. The shooter held down the timer button with his off hand. When the shooter was ready, he/she released the timer button and engaged the targets. The stage marshall verified the time and hits and recorded them. Good job BBB. By the way, Colorado Jackson's time with the derringer was a blazin' .39 beating out the Ghost at .45 hundredths of a second. That Jackson is FAST!

Ghost

Archived